Travis County Texas Cook in Austin, Texas
Under close supervision, performs service work of preparing, cleaning and cooking a variety of foods using standardized or revised recipes. Performs all work using appropriate safety procedures.
This is a job classification within the Maintenance job family. This classification is responsible for routine food preparation and kitchen work. This classification may require work in secure facilities. This classification may require a flexible work schedule in order to meet the needs of the department.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Plans, prepares and cooks meats, soups, vegetables, sauces and gravies, salads and desserts. Checks food for appearance and taste.
- Serves meals using proper portion control and acceptable methods of serving. Carves and displays meats, vegetables, salads and desserts. Plans for proper utilization of overproduced foods.
- Operates, cleans, and maintains cooking utensils and related equipment used in the preparation of meals. Ensures equipment is operational. Maintains cleanliness and safe working conditions in the kitchen area in accordance with Health Department standards.
- Ensures proper storage of food and supplies. Stores and rotates perishable and nonperishable food. Monitors inventory of food supply. Sets dishes and dining room equipment in proper storage. Receives and monitors kitchen deliveries.
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned. Minimum Requirements
Education and Experience:
One (1) year of increasingly responsible food preparation experience in a food service facility;
Any combination of education and experience that has been achieved and is equivalent to the stated education and experience and required knowledge, skills, and abilities sufficient to successfully perform the duties and responsibilities of this job.
Licenses, Registrations, Certifications, or Special Requirements: Food Handler's Registration as issued by the Austin/Travis County Health Human Services Department or by the Texas Department of State Health Services.
Valid Texas Driver's License.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Methods of preparing and storing food in large volumes.
- Methods of preparing modified and calculated diets.
- Health, sanitation, nutritional and safety practices involved in food preparation.
General office/clerical practices and procedures. Skill in:
Using and cleaning equipment and materials for food preparation.
Both verbal and written communication. Ability to:
Exercise judgment and initiative in estimating food quantities.
- Work independently and efficiently.
- Manage time well and meet timelines.
- Determine appropriate procedures, methods, and priorities for completing assigned work.
- Follow, understand and carry out verbal and written instruction and/or directions.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with departmental clientele, representatives of outside agencies, other County employees and officials, and the general public. Work Environment & Other Information
Physical requirements include the ability to lift/carry up to 10-20 pounds occasionally, visual acuity, speech and hearing, hand and eye coordination. Subject to standing, walking, sitting, repetitive motion, reaching, climbing stairs, bending, stooping, kneeling, crouching, crawling, pushing, pulling, balancing, reaching, twisting to perform the essential functions.
This job description is intended to be generic in nature. It is not necessarily an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities. The essential duties, functions and responsibilities and overtime eligibility may vary based on the specific tasks assigned to the position.
Work Hours: 5:30 AM to 1:30 PM or 11:00 AM to 7:00 PM; Monday through Friday Works some holidays and weekends
Department: Juvenile Probation
Location: 2515 S. Congress Ave., Austin
Physical Exam Required Drug Test Required Criminal, Driving, Education and Employment Background Check Required.
Salary: $27,040.00 - $28,245.57 Annually $27,040.00 - $28,245.57 Annually
Job Number: 15-03324
Location: Austin, TX
Closing: 10/30/2016 11:59 PM Central
Job Type: Full Time
Department: Juvenile Probation
Agency: Travis County
Address: 700 Lavaca Street, Suite 420 Austin, Texas, 78701.