HCA, Hospital Corporation of America Director of Women's Services / Labor and Delivery in Austin, Texas
The Director of Nursing - Women's Services maintains 24-hour accountability for the direction, supervision, coordination and evaluation of activities of the professional practice of a nursing staff of a specialized nursing unit, Labor and Delivery. Director ensures patient needs are met in accordance with instructions of physicians and the Hospital policy and procedures. Directs and coordinates the organizational improvement activities of the nursing unit. Oversees the development, review and revision of policies, procedures and practices guidelines. Is accountable for the financial operation of the department.
* Integrate department services with the hospital’s primary functions.
* Coordinate and integrate services within your department and with other departments.
* Develop and implement policies and procedures that guide and support the provision of services.
* Recommend a sufficient number of qualified and competent persons to provide care.
* Determine the qualifications and competence of department personnel who provide patient care services and who are not licensed independent practitioners. * Continuously assess and improve department and the organizations ’s performance. * Maintain appropriate quality control programs. * Provide for orientation, in-service training, and continuing education of allpersons in the department. * Recommend space and other resources needed by the department. * Participate in selecting outside sources for needed services Oversees and reviews the development of monthly schedules. Collaborates with the House Supervisor and the Chief Nursing Officer or their designee regarding staffing issues. Demonstrates an understanding of man-hour guidelines and patient acuity in providing for quality patient care. Reviews, approves and completes employee timesheets. Assures that new employees receive department-specific orientation. Assures that education and training of department(s) is ongoing and based on identified learning needs of the staff and age of patients served. Assures that staff members maintains competency to perform specialized skills required by the Department or the Hospital. Assures that at least eight unit specific staff meetings are held annually and that communication with staff is interactive and information provided reflects organizational activities at all levels. (Patient Care Council, Nurse Executive Committee, Leadership Meeting) Minutes are written in CRAF format and maintained on the unit.
Assures accurate, complete and current unit education records are maintained for staff members. Interviews and hires qualified staff members whose skills and knowledge match the patient care needs. Assures and/or participates in all employee evaluations. Participates in all employee terminations and produces relevant documentation. Assures staff receives education in the safe use of equipment. Working with the Nursing Unit Supervisor or Charge Nurse, helps to resolve concerns of staff, ancillary departments, patients, physicians and families. Anticipates unit equipment needs and works with appropriate departments to facilitate meeting those needs. In conjunction with the House Supervisor, Nursing Unit Supervisor or Charge Nurse, assures that patient care assignments are made according to the nurse’s skill, acuity and staffing availability and based on the State licensing law and Hospital policy. Assists staff with clinical needs as well as other departments as required for skills or specialized care of patients. Serves as a liaison between the medical staff and Nursing Department. Collaborates with Directors, Managers and staff of other nursing units and ancillary departments to ensure continuity of patient care and to prevent or resolve problems. Assures that written standards of care and practice reflect accepted current practice guidelines. Assures that policies, procedures, and practice guidelines are written specific to departmental and Hospital requirements and based on accepted guidelines. Assures the patient’s right to privacy and confidentiality of information at all times. Demonstrates knowledge of current regulatory agency standards. Provides direction and education to staff members to assure that nursing practice in the Department is in compliance with current standards. Participates in interdisciplinary processes in the Hospital and integrates the Department’s services ices with the Hospital’s primary functions. Contributes to marketing efforts of the Hospital. Contributes to recruitment efforts. Demonstrate understanding of HCA’s and “Patients First” safety initiative by strict compliance to all safety protocols and procedures.
_EDUCATION REQUIRED_ Graduate of an accredited school of nursing is required BSN or Masters degree is preferred.
_LICENSED/CERTIFICATION_ Registered Nurse license by the Texas Board of Nurse Examiners. May require CPR certification. ACLS required within 1 year of hire date.
_EXPERIENCE REQUIRED_ Two**years experience as a Registered Nurse, at least one of which must be management experience
Title: Director of Women's Services / Labor and Delivery
Location: Texas-Austin-South Austin Medical Center
Requisition ID: 00196-49233