HCA, Hospital Corporation of America Heart Hospital of Austin - Surgery Technician II in Austin, Texas
Position Summary: This position assists professional staff in providing care for the operative patient before, during and after surgery. This position requires thorough surgical knowledge and expertise to insure proper instrumentation and supplies are available on the surgical field and/or in the operating room where the procedure is to be performed. This position helps the sterile operative team, performs scrub and circulating duties in the operating room, performs routine and specialized housekeeping activities, and applies principles of asepsis, infection control and medical ethics. This position will also be responsible for training newly assigned personnel. Assumes, under the direction of the Laboratory, responsibility for patient specimen testing, quality control, quality improvement, and equipment maintenance.
Work Schedule: Flexible schedules to cover all shifts and weekends, as hospital needs demand.
· Education: Graduation from an accredited school of allied health services.
· Licensure/Certification: Valid certificate from Surgical Technologist program and current BLS certification preferred.
· Experience: Three years continuous experience in an operating room preferred.
· Essential Technical/Motor Skills: Performs at a proficient level, all tasks within the specialty area. Able to operate all appropriate clinical equipment in a safe and appropriate manner. Able to perform the necessary functions on the facility's computer system.
· Interpersonal Skills: Must be able to interact and communicate in English, both orally and written, with all levels of staff, physicians, patients, and families in an effective manner, exhibiting tact, enthusiasm, and patience. Must be sensitive to cultural and bilingual issues.
· Essential Physical Requirements: Requires full range of body motion including handling and lifting, manual and finger dexterity, and eye-hand coordination. Able to stand and walk for long periods of time. Able to lift/push/pull patients to transport and/or reposition. Able to lift and carry equipment and supplies up to 50 lbs. Working under stressful conditions and irregular hours, exposure to communicable diseases and potentially contaminated body fluids and bio-hazardous materials.
· Essential Mental Abilities: Requires good communication and organizational skills. Requires reasoning ability and good independent judgment. Requires working under stressful conditions and irregular hours. Requires working with frequent interruptions. Able to comprehend and interpret complex clinical subject matter related to specialty.
· Essential Sensory Requirements:Requires corrected hearing and vision within a normal range and ability to distinguish color.
· Exposure to Hazards:Requires exposure to communicable diseases and potentially contaminated body fluids and hazardous materials. OSHA risk factor: Category I. Possible risk of physical injury due to moving machinery and supplies.
· Other:Understands the mission and vision of the hospital. Operates within the concept of patient focused care. Evolves into an effective team member. Must adhere to dress code; good grooming and personal hygiene habits; and strict adherence to attendance policies. Maintains knowledge of and conforms to hospital policies and procedures.
Title: Heart Hospital of Austin - Surgery Technician II
Location: Texas-Austin-Heart Hospital of Austin
Requisition ID: 25960-44694