Texas Parks & Wildlife Intern Clerk II-III-IV (Associate Safety Intern) in Austin, Texas
The Texas Parks and Wildlife Department Student Internship Program introduces interested college students to career opportunities in positions located statewide and job settings to gain practical experience and training in natural and cultural resource fields.
Under the direct supervision and guidance of the Chief Safety Officer, the Associate Safety Intern will gain practical experience on executing Texas Parks and Wildlife Department's (TPWD) Safety program. Responsible for providing administrative and technical assistance with monitoring and maintaining TPWD's occupational safety health and risk management controls. Collaborates with the Chief Safety Officer, Safety Risk Management Committee, HQ Safety Team, State Office of Risk Management and Additional Duty Safety Officers to support and enhance program protocols and compliance. Helps with technical analysis, tracking and generating various reports. The intern will have an opportunity to attend meetings, safety presentations and strategic planning sessions regarding health and safety initiatives to increase engagement in occupational health safety and risk management program development, enhancement and sustainability. Performs additional duties as assigned. Complies with all Agency, Division, and Branch rules, regulations, and procedures.
Paid internships are available in various Divisions depending on available funding. The student internship program employment period varies depending on the specific intern opportunity. NOTE: If selected for a paid opportunity, intern will be paid at the rate of pay reflected from the completed hours at time of application.
POSTING NUMBER: 17-00101
- Current enrollment as an undergraduate or graduate student in an accredited college or university;
- Minimum of 18 completed semester credit hours from an accredited college or university at the time of application;
- Must have an overall grade point average (GPA) of 2.5 or higher on a 4.0 grade point scale or "Pass" on a Pass/Fail system.
- None required.
- Must possess a valid state driver's license.
NOTE: Retention of internship contingent upon maintaining required license.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS: Education:
Current undergraduate or graduate student in an accredited college or university enrolled in Occupational Health and Safety, Environmental Science, Biology or Business Administration degree field. Experience*:*
Six months administrative support experience in safety or occupational health safety risk management.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of basic environmental, occupational health and safety principals;
- Skill in effective verbal and written communication;
- Skill in providing quality customer service in a courteous and professional manner;
- Skill in establishing and maintaining effective work relationships with co-workers and work related contacts;
- Skill in using MS Word, Excel and Outlook;
- Skill in recording keeping and report generation;
- Skill in compiling information for trend analysis;
- Ability to work as a member of a team;
- Ability to work cooperatively with others;
- Ability to accurately follow instructions;
- Ability to perform and complete assigned tasks within established timeframes;
- Ability to maintain a professional appearance;
- Ability to perform manual labor including, lifting supplies and materials up to 20 lbs.;
- Ability to learn and understand OSHA, TCEQ, EPA, NFPA, ANSI and DOT standards and protocols;
- Ability to conduct work activities in accordance with TPWD safety program.
- Required to work 10 to 40 hours per week with hours other than 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday;
- Required to perform manual labor including, lifting supplies and materials up to 20 lbs.;
- Must conform to TPWD Safety policies and procedures;
- Must conform to TPWD dress and grooming standards, work rules and safety procedures;
- Require to travel 5% with possible overnight stays;
- May be required to operate a State vehicle;
- Non-smoking environment in State buildings and vehicles.
In order to be considered for this position, the following information is required:
- Submission of a completed online application;
- Work history experience MUST be completed in the online application;
- Must attach copy of official or unofficial college transcript(s) issued from accredited college/university to the online application. (Unofficial transcripts must have full name and college/university's name);
- Transcript must reflect current college/university classes in progress at time of application;
- Degree plans will NOT be accepted;
- Applicants must attach a DD214 or other supporting documentation to the online application to claim Veterans Preference.
NOTE: Resume and professional references may be attached to the online application, but not in place of the completed application. A skills test may be conducted at time of interview.
15, 36, 42, 56, 68, 88, 89, 92
AZ, CS, LS, PS, RP, SH, SN, YN, CWO-SHIPS CLERK
360, 420, SK, YN
01, 30, 60, 66
Job Posting #: 17-00101
Job Title: Intern Clerk II-III-IV (Associate Safety Intern)
Closing Date/Time: Fri. 10/28/16 11:59 PM Central Time
Salary: $12.00 - $13.50 Hourly
Job Type: Internship
Location: Austin, Texas
Work Address: Texas Parks & Wildlife Department, 1340 Airport Commerce Park, Austin, TX 78719
Hiring Contact: Cornell Richardson, (512) 389-8659
Division: Human Resources