Travis County Texas Juvenile Supervision Officer in Austin, Texas
Provides direct supervision and treatment intervention of juvenile clients assigned to a residential treatment program. Maintains security, control and guidance of detained juvenile clients in order to facilitate treatment, prevent harm and provide for their safety during all daily activities. Implements available treatment plans and corrective disciplinary strategies. Documents client behavior for use within the juvenile justice system. This position is assigned to either Detention Services or the Residential Treatment Program.
This is the second in a series of five juvenile residential treatment-related job classifications within the Courts job family. This classification provides supervision to clients who have been placed in the juvenile residential facility by the court system. Duties performed are of routine to moderately complex nature and type and may initially perform duties in training together with a higher-level staff member. This classification may require work in secure facilities. This classification may require a flexible work schedule in order to meet the needs of the department. Duties and Responsibilities
- Provides direct supervision of all client daily activities. Maintains accountability of all clients and equipment and ensures that the environment is safe, clean and secure.
- Assesses juveniles and implements available treatment plans, corrective disciplinary strategies and effective treatment intervention programs. Ensures that clients are aware of and understand their responsibilities and appropriate behavior.
- Conducts cognitive skill groups and teamwork activities. Models competency in direct care principles for less experienced staff.
- Documents clients' behavior and enters into department computer information system.
- Provides individual and crisis intervention counseling, as required.
- Ensures environment is safe and clean. Maintains order and discipline.
- Physically restrains aggressive clients using approved protocols, as required.
- Transports clients to other facilities, as required.
- Serves on committees and participates in special projects.
- Maintains communication with other staff to ensure continuity of care.
- May assist in investigating incidents involving clients.
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned. Minimum Requirements
Education and Experience:
Associate's degree in Human Services or a directly related field AND one (1) year experience in direct client care, counseling, law enforcement, corrections or a directly related field;
Any combination of education and experience that has been achieved and is equivalent to the stated education and experience and required knowledge, skills, and abilities sufficient to successfully perform the duties and responsibilities of this job.
Licenses, Registrations, Certifications, or Special Requirements: Must be at least 21 years of age. Certification as a Juvenile Detention Officer or eligible for certification within six (6) months of date of hire, including successful completion of Cardio-pulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) Certification, First Aid and Handle with Care (state approved physical restraint technique). Valid Texas Driver's License.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Policies, practices, procedures and legal terminology related to court system.
- Federal, State, Local and County applicable laws, rules, regulations, guidelines and applicable juvenile justice system standards and procedures.
- Standard practices in area of assignment.
- Psychological concepts of good behavior, social adjustment and emotional stability.
- Standard counseling techniques.
- Safety and security techniques and standards.
- Physical restraint techniques to control aggressive behavior.
- First aid techniques.
Computer equipment to include word processing, spreadsheets, databases and a variety of software packages. Skill in:
Monitoring and responding to client behavior.
- Problem-solving and decision-making.
- Interviewing clients.
Both verbal and written communication. Ability to:
Work efficiently both independently and as part of a team.
- Reason and make judgments and decisions.
- Work effectively and courteously under stressful circumstances.
- Deal effectively with mentally disturbed, hostile and aggressive individuals.
- Manage time well, perform multiple tasks and organize diverse activities.
- Conduct investigations and report results clearly, accurately and impartially.
- Perform in a stressful environment while maintaining a professional manner.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with departmental clientele, representatives of outside agencies, other County employees and officials, representatives of the juvenile justice system and the general public. Work Environment & Other Information
Physical requirements include the ability to lift/carry up to 50-100 pounds, visual acuity, speech and hearing, hand and eye coordination and manual dexterity necessary to operate a computer and basic office equipment. Subject to standing, sitting, walking, climbing stairs, bending, stooping, crouching, kneeling, pushing, pulling, reaching, twisting, balancing, repetitive motion, and squatting to perform the essential functions. Subject to contact with communicable diseases, radiation, hazardous waste, human fecal matter and foul odors. Subject to stressful environment and client and customer contact for extended periods of time.
This job description is intended to be generic in nature. It is not necessarily an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities. The essential duties, functions and responsibilities and overtime eligibility may vary based on the specific tasks assigned to the position.
Work Hours: Shift Work 6:00 AM to 2:00 PM, 2:00 PM to 10:00 PM, 10:00 PM to 6:00 AM Monday through Friday Works some holidays, nights and weekends
Department: Juvenile Probation
Location: 2515 S. Congress Ave., Austin
Physical and Psychological Exam Required Drug Test Required Criminal, Driving, Education and Employment Background Check Required.
Salary: $32,345.46 - $34,278.40 Annually $32,345.46 - $34,278.40 Annually
Job Number: 15-03343
Location: Austin, TX
Closing: 12/1/2016 11:59 PM Central
Job Type: Full Time
Department: Juvenile Probation
Agency: Travis County
Address: 700 Lavaca Street, Suite 420 Austin, Texas, 78701.