Travis County Texas Mechanic Equipment (East) in Austin, Texas
Performs maintenance and repair work on heavy motor vehicles and equipment. May lead the work of staff. Performs all work in compliance with established work schedules, methods and safety procedures and practices.
This is the first in a series of two equipment mechanic-related job classifications within the Skilled Trades job family. This classification is distinguished by the maintenance and repair work on heavy motor vehicles and equipment and by the experience. This classification may require a flexible work schedule in order to meet the needs of the department. Duties and Responsibilities
- Performs minor repair including preventive maintenance on gasoline/diesel and multi-fuel powered vehicles and heavy Road Construction equipment.
- Performs major repair including but not limited to gasoline and diesel engine rebuild, hydraulic system component repair, Air conditioning, anti-lock brakes, drive train and computer diagnostics as required.
- Maintains accurate job orders on all work performed.
- Locates and orders parts.
- Test drives vehicles/equipment prior to and after repair or PM work is complete.
- Performs State Inspections.
- Responsible for ensuring a safe work environment. Minimum Requirements
Education and Experience:
High School diploma or G.E.D. AND three (3) years of full-time heavy motor vehicle and equipment mechanic experience;
Any combination of education and experience that has been achieved and is equivalent to the stated education and experience and required knowledge, skills, and abilities sufficient to successfully perform the duties and responsibilities of this job.
Licenses, Registrations, Certifications, or Special Requirements: Valid Texas Commercial Driver's License (CDL). Proof of CDL or CDL Permit must be presented at interview. If CDL Permit is presented at interview, a Texas DPS document must be included indicating that all CDL required written exams have been completed and passed and that the CDL driving test has been scheduled.
Air Conditioner (R12 & 134A) Refrigerant License or within sixty (60) days of date of hire. State Inspector's License or within sixty (60) days of date of hire. One or more of the following endorsements on the license: Tank Vehicle (T) and Air Brakes (A). Valid Texas Commercial Driver's License (CDL).
Welding experience. Automotive Service Excellence (ASE) Certification. Two (2) years of diesel engine experience, training or Certification. Experience on Catepillar equipment or Gradall excavators.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Methods, equipment, materials and tools used in repairing heavy motor vehicles and equipment.
- Federal, State, Local and County applicable laws, rules, regulations, guidelines; and, applicable automotive/ equipment standards and procedures.
Computer equipment to include word processing, spreadsheets, databases and a variety of software packages. Skill in:
Using and caring for equipment, tools and materials.
- Applying proper and applicable safety practices, procedures and regulations.
- Working with others, including on a team.
- Explaining complicated problems in simple non-technical language.
- Calculating estimates of time, labor and quantities of materials needed.
- Diagnosing problem to repair or replace.
Both verbal and written communication. Ability to:
Diagnose problems and determine appropriate service or repair.
- Understand and precisely follow both verbal and written instructions and communicate in a concise and effective manner.
- Maintain accurate records.
- Work efficiently, both independently and as part of a team.
- Reason and make judgments and decisions.
- Manage time well, perform multiple tasks and organize diverse activities.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with departmental clientele, other County employees and officials, representatives of outside agencies, and the general public. Work Environment & Other Information
Physical requirements include the ability to lift/carry up to 10-60 pounds, visual acuity, speech and hearing, hand and eye coordination and manual dexterity necessary to operate a computer and office equipment. Subject to standing, walking, sitting, repetitive motion, reaching, climbing stairs, bending for extended periods of time, stooping, kneeling, crouching, crawling, pushing, pulling, driving, handling, use of vision, depth perception, reaching, forceful gripping, twisting, balancing, client/customer contact, squatting to perform the essential functions. Subject to contact with exhaust fumes, volatile chemicals and hazardous substances. Subject to contact with dangerous machinery, noise, vibration, fumes, foul odor, dirt, dust, mist, gases, and poor ventilation, tools or machinery, indoors/outdoors in all types of weather (excessive heat and cold).
This job description is intended to be generic in nature. It is not necessarily an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities. The essential duties, functions and responsibilities and overtime eligibility may vary based on the specific tasks assigned to the position.
Work Hours: 7:00 AM to 3:30 PM; Monday through Friday. Works some nights. Schedule may change periodically to meet department needs.
Department: Transportation and Natural Resources.
Location: East Service Center, 6011 Blue Bluff Rd., Austin, TX.
Drug and Alcohol Test Required. Driving, Education, and Employment Background Check Required.
Salary: $39,603.20 - $49,504.00 Annually $39,603.20 - $49,504.00 Annually
Job Number: 15-03274
Location: Austin, TX
Closing: 11/6/2016 11:59 PM Central
Job Type: Full Time
Department: TNR (Trans & Natrl Resrc)
Agency: Travis County
Address: 700 Lavaca Street, Suite 420 Austin, Texas, 78701.