Travis County Texas Office Assistant; Temporary in Austin, Texas
Under close supervision, performs a variety of office/clerical functions related to division/department. Performs a service such as greeting the public over the telephone or in person and refers them to the appropriate individuals, departments, or agencies or may provide counter service. Performs routine office/clerical tasks to include correspondence, basic spreadsheets, mail distribution, file and record maintenance, and assistance or information to customers. Maintains logs and simple databases. Uses some independent judgment interpreting and applying general office/clerical practices and procedures.
This is the first in a series of three general clerical-related job classifications within the Administrative Support job family. This classification is distinguished from the Office Specialist by the general nature of clerical responsibilities (copying and filing) performed as opposed to the Office Specialist whose work requires specialized functional knowledge with independent decision-making within established limits. Duties and Responsibilities
- Performs receptionist duties, answers telephone, and directs calls. Takes and relays accurate messages. Provides information to telephone callers or transfers calls to appropriate personnel. Logs phone calls and visitors. Faxes information, as required. Courteously greets and receives the public. Answers general questions about the department, its functions and activities, and its interrelationships with County departments and outside agencies. Refers individuals to appropriate persons, departments, or agencies. Performs messenger duties, and picks up and delivers information to other County departments. Delivers verbal and written messages to unit members. Maintains a ready reference list for referrals. Maintains records of staff member's whereabouts. May produce and monitor staff and visitor identification badges. May schedule meeting rooms and appointments.
- Performs mail distribution duties. Opens, sorts, counts and distributes mail. Picks up and delivers mail, printing, equipment, and/or other material from various sites and/or office locations. Updates postage meter machine, ensures sufficient postage for mailings, and meters outgoing mail. Updates mailing lists. Prepares materials for mail outs.
- Performs general office clerical duties. Makes copies, orders and maintains adequate supplies. Coordinates pick-ups and deliveries. Maintains time keeping system, attends assigned meetings and records minutes. Develops forms, rosters, and mailing lists. Maintains appropriate suspense files and monitors suspense items regularly. Looks up information in files, replaces file folders, and generates labels on folders. Purges items from files and/or pulls and destroys inactive files. Issues file or case numbers. Reviews, validates, codes and processes a variety of documents. Reviews and verifies documents, and submits to departments and agencies. May scan data and maintain electronic files. Drafts and responds to inquiries. Assists clientele in completing forms. Maintains statistical data, records and logs. Performs data entry duties. Enters, maintains, and updates data or information on a computer. Types correspondence, labels, envelopes, spreadsheets and/or databases, reports, bills, vouchers, dockets, receipts, schedules, minutes, requisitions, notices, court waivers, discharge forms and other related items. May update records management documentation and maintain computerized tracking system.
- May perform cashier-related tasks. Receives, posts, and issues receipts (manually or using computer or computerized cash register) for payments for various instruments being filed or for fees or other charges which must be paid through assigned office. Makes cash change and performs cashiering functions, including providing and accounting for cash balances and ensures cash balances with issued receipts. Prepares cash and checks for deposit transaction (may make deposit). Processes checks returned for insufficient funds to recover payment.
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned. Minimum Requirements
Education and Experience:
High School diploma or G.E.D. AND one (1) year of office/clerical experience;
Any combination of education and experience that has been achieved and is equivalent to the stated education and experience and required knowledge, skills, and abilities sufficient to successfully perform the duties and responsibilities of this job.
Licenses, Registrations, Certifications, or Special Requirements: None required.
Preferred: Data entry, general office machines, copiers and computer equipment, including word processing, spreadsheets, databases and a variety of software packages experience.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- General office/clerical practices and procedures.
- Office/clerical telephone etiquette.
- File management and techniques.
- Principles and procedures of record keeping.
Business English, spelling and arithmetic, letter writing, grammar and punctuation, and report preparation. Skill in:
Performing cashier duties, such as receiving cash, issuing and posting receipts for fee payments or other charges.
- Operating a variety of modern office equipment, including a computer.
Both verbal and written communication. Ability to:
Follow verbal and written instructions and/or directions.
- Operate telephones.
- Maintain records and reports.
- Communicate verbally and in writing, and exercise tact and courtesy.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with departmental clientele, representatives of outside agencies, other County employees and officials, and the general public. Work Environment & Other Information
Physical requirements include the ability to lift/carry up to 20-50 pounds occasionally, visual acuity, speech and hearing, hand and eye coordination and manual dexterity necessary to operate a computer and office equipment. Subject to sitting, client/customer contact, standing, walking, vision to monitor, repetitive motion, stooping/kneeling, squatting, bending, and reaching to perform the essential functions.
This job description is intended to be generic in nature. It is not necessarily an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities. The essential duties, functions and responsibilities and overtime eligibility may vary based on the specific tasks assigned to the position.
Work Hours: 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM; Monday through Friday Temporary position
Department: County Clerk
Location: 1000 Guadalupe, Austin
Salary: $13.00 - $14.54 Hourly $13.00 - $14.54 Hourly
Job Number: 15-03319
Location: Austin, TX
Closing: 11/4/2016 11:59 PM Central
Job Type: Temporary
Department: County Clerk
Agency: Travis County
Address: 700 Lavaca Street, Suite 420 Austin, Texas, 78701.