HCA, Hospital Corporation of America PCT II - 2 Central - Days, Rotating Weekends in Austin, Texas
_Position Description:_ The Patient Care Technician performs a variety of basic care services related to activities of daily living under the direct supervision of a registered nurse (RN) and/or licensed vocational nurse (LVN). The Patient Care Technician assists the nursing staff in providing patient care according to hospital policies and procedures. The Patient Care Technician accepts assignments on other units when necessary. The Patient Care Technician assists in maintaining a clean, well organized and adequately stocked patient care unit.
Employee's conduct must reflect the Company's values and a commitment to the Code of Conduct ethics and compliance program. Acts with honesty and integrity. Treats colleagues, customers, patients and families with respect, loyalty and dignity. The PCT for the float pool is required to float throughout the hospital. _Essential Job Responsibilities:_ 1. Performs direct patient care: * Participates in providing direct care as directed, according to standards * Can work with people from diverse socio-economic backgrounds * Communicates all findings in the correct/concise/clear written and or verbal format * Can recognize abnormal findings ie VS, Skin changes, I&O, etc. and report findings to the nurse * Can recognize and respond appropriately in an emergency situation * Applies knowledge of the principles of growth and development over the life span to identify patient and family requirements relative to age-specific needs 2. Performs indirect patient care: * Can perform skills to support direct care * Can organize, set priorities and manage multiple priorities * Can adjust to a rapidly changing work environment * Can maintain a clean, well organized and adequately stocked patient care area * Maintains equipment in good working order * Submits requests for repair appropriately * Uses and charges supplies appropriately * Can input physician orders * Can operate the patient call system * Answers and transfers phone calls. Break down and/or copies charts/forms as needed * Acts as an orientation preceptor for new and cross-training PCT I and PCT II employees * Have knowledge of limited role of medication security, handling, storage and transport of non-narcotic medications under the approval and direction of a supervisor 3. Participates in the plan of care: * Is familiar with the plan of care * Can follow instructions for the care performed * Communicates to the registered nurse and licensed vocational nurse any data appropriate to the plan of care
- Provides information to assist in the evaluation of plan of care:
- Provides meaningful input to the evaluation
- Communicates information to RN and LVN for evaluation of patient care
- Technical skills: (as required by facility/unit/dept.)
- All skills on PCT I job description
- Phlebotomy for lab specimens, blood cultures
- Nasopharyngeal suctioning
- Foley catheterization, catheter care and removal.
- Bladder scanner
- Irrigations (non-medicated) eyes and ears.
- Nasal swabs
- Assists with surgical aseptic/sterile procedures maintaining sterile/aseptic technique
- Assist with set up of equipment as needed
- Application and adjustment of CPM & SCM, TED hoses; application of Buck's traction
- Set up for Telemetry, monitoring EKG rhythm strips, obtain 12 lead EKG
- Orthopedic splinting
- Emergency: participates CPR and Dr. Leo, crash cart and pediatric equipment location
- Assist with postmortem care
- ED: Documents patient data in ED documentation system
- Completes unit specific competency and age-specific competency requirements
- Maintains current professional knowledge and skills in accordance with established methods of the department:
- Attends 80% of staff meetings
- Attends 100% of mandatory meetings and inservices
- Demonstrates initiative in independent study and maintains specialty certifications
- Participates in department QI activities
Other duties as assigned.
_Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:_ Must be able to demonstrate understanding of HCA's and St. David's "Patients First" safety initiative by strict compliance to all safety protocols and procedures. Adheres to isolation policies and procedures. Utilizes universal precautions at all times.
Works autonomously and with supervision. Interfaces with the public, physicians, staff, patients and administration and ancillary/support department representative. Maintains confidentiality of patients medical records. Regular and predictable attendance is required.
_ Education and Experience_: *Required: *High School Diploma or equivalent, and Completion of a Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA), or Completion of 1stsemester nursing program, or Previous experience as a PCT II, NA, or CA; minimum of 1 year experience in the hospital setting as a nursing assistant or PCT. *Preferred: *Acute care hospital experience as PCT or nursing assistant in float pool with experience floating to more than 2 units
_Licenses and Certificates_: Required: *BLS certification *Preferred: Certified Nurses Assistant certification
Title: PCT II - 2 Central - Days, Rotating Weekends
Location: Texas-Austin-South Austin Medical Center
Requisition ID: 00196-47708