Travis County Texas Systems Engineer Sr. in Austin, Texas
Travis County has a well-established storage infrastructure, with a variety IBM storage arrays and a Brocade Fiber Channel back bone, spanning multiple sites, connected through a high-speed Wide Area Network. To help us to maximize our investment in our storage platform we are looking for an experienced storage administrator, with experience in Storage Area Networks (SAN) and Network Attached Storage (NAS). This individual should have an understanding of VMware, block and object based storage and have experience in with highly complex storage arrays.
This is the second in a series of two systems-related job classifications within the Information Technology job family. Deploys, maintains and administers server hardware and operating systems and application software. Provides second and third tier technical support to end user departments and consults with departments to understand complex network needs and service requirements and implement the appropriate integrated network services. This classification may require a flexible work schedule in order to meet the needs of the department. Duties and Responsibilities
- Configures and maintains IBM and EMC Storage Platforms, and a multi-site Fiber Channel network.
- Maintains current system operations and disaster recovery procedures and assists in ensuring data and system integrity.
- Implements system policies and standards and ensures adherence to approved quality, change control, security, and disaster recovery procedures.
- Implements system testing procedures for performance and disaster recovery.
- Conducts advanced problem analysis and resolution.
- Manages system integration and connectivity with other County systems as VMware and physical storage consumers.
- Coordinates work performed on the County's storage assets and updates stakeholders on vendor performance.
- Acquires, tests, and applies system software/hardware updates, releases and patches.
- Ensures that systems meet business requirements.
- Assists in the evaluation of vendor products.
- Troubleshoots and resolves advanced, complex system access and connectivity problems through the use of advanced system utilities.
- Prepares systems specifications and technical documentation for applications.
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned. Minimum Requirements
Education and Experience:
Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, Business Administration or a directly related field AND five (5) years of relevant work experience;
Any combination of education and experience that has been achieved and is equivalent to the stated education and experience and required knowledge, skills, and abilities sufficient to successfully perform the duties and responsibilities of this job.
Licenses, Registrations, Certifications, or Special Requirements: Valid Texas Driver's License.
Experience with IBM's family of storage products
Experience with Brocade Fiber Channel switches and DCX
Experience with Storage virtualization
Experience with VMware as a storage consumer
Experience with administering highly complex storage platforms
Experience with system performance analysis and resolution
Strong team spirit, leadership skills and the ability to work with cross-functional teams
Excellent oral and written communication, organizational and interpersonal skills
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Policies, practices, procedures and terminology of assigned function.
- Federal, State, Local and County applicable laws, rules, regulations and guidelines.
- Information technology hardware, software and peripherals as related to assigned function.
- Network Operating Systems.
- Systems integration and multiple network protocols, such as TCP/IP, IPX/SPX, DHCP, DNS, SNMP.
Computer equipment to include word processing, spreadsheets, databases and a variety of software packages. Skill in:
Problem-solving and decision-making.
Both verbal and written communication, including presentations and communicating technical issues in non-technical language. Ability to:
Design, install, manage and monitor complex systems, operating system software and applications.
- Work independently and efficiently and as part of a team.
- Manage time well, perform multiple tasks and organize diverse activities.
- Demonstrate strong customer services skills.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with departmental clientele, representatives of outside agencies and providers, other County employees and officials, and the general public. Work Environment & Other Information
We offer a competitive salary together with a stable work environment, no routine overnight travel, casual dress attire, professional development, 11 paid holidays & accrue 3 weeks of vacation per year, flexible start of work day, excellent pension plan, and an extensive benefits package.
Physical requirements include the ability to lift/carry up to 35-40 pounds occasionally, visual acuity, speech and hearing, hand and eye coordination and manual dexterity necessary to operate a computer and office equipment. Subject to standing, sitting, walking, climbing, crawling, bending, stooping, crouching, kneeling, pushing, pulling, reaching, twisting, balancing, repetitive motion, and squatting to perform the essential functions. Subject to exposure to variations in extreme heat, cold, mechanical, fume/odor, and dust/mites.
This job description is intended to be generic in nature. It is not necessarily an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities. The essential duties, functions and responsibilities and overtime eligibility may vary based on the specific tasks assigned to the position.
Work Hours: 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM; Monday through Friday Works some holidays, nights and weekends
Department: Information Technology Services
Location: 700 Lavaca St., Downtown Austin
Criminal Background Check Required
Salary: $78,000.00 - $85,000.00 Annually $78,000.00 - $85,000.00 Annually
Job Number: 15-03291
Location: Austin, TX
Job Type: Full Time
Department: Information Technology Services
Agency: Travis County
Address: 700 Lavaca Street, Suite 420 Austin, Texas, 78701.