HCA, Hospital Corporation of America Registered Nurse - Intensive Care Unit (RN ICU) in Brownsville TX, Texas
_Valley Regional Medical Center – Brownsville, TX_
/An HCA Affiliated Hospital/
Founded as Valley Community Hospital in 1975, Valley Regional Medical Center proudly serves Brownsville and the surrounding communities. Valley Regional is committed to providing the best health care for the residents in the Rio Grande Valley.
Valley Regional Medical Center is a 214 Licensed Bed Facility with over 200 physicians representing over 25 specialties; Valley Regional Medical Center is a leader in a vast array of high quality inpatient and outpatient programs and services, including: * 24 Hour Level III Trauma Emergency Department * Cardiology * Open Heart Surgery * Neurosurgery * Endoscopy * Imaging * Women’s Services * Level III Neonatal Intensive Care Unit
Valley Regional is currently looking for a Registered Nurse in the Adult Intensive Care Unit.
The Registered Nurse performs direct patient care within the scope of the Registered Nurse Practice Act. Utilizes therapeutic communication in daily practice. Maintains a safe a therapeutic environment. Identifies nursing problems as they relate to the individual needs of the patient. Plans individualized patient care utilizing an interdisciplinary approach. Participates in performance improvement activities. Provides care and coordinates participation that fosters the goals of the hospital’s mission and vision statement.When acting in charge nurse role, registered nurses are responsible for day-to-day activities to ensure the delivery of quality patient care in a therapeutic environment. Make staff assignments based on patient need and the skill of the staff. Serve as role models and clinical resource for the staff. Respond in a timely manner to requests for information or follow-up with physician, staff or patient issues.
- Management of tubes/drains: nasogastric tubes (Salem Sump, Levine): insertion; management and removal of feeding tubes; insertion, maintenance and removal of Jackson-Pratt drain, Hemovac drain, and Doval Drain.
- Demonstrates ability to deliver appropriate wound/dressing care.
- Demonstrates proper blood/ blood product administration including consent and product administration and discontinuation to include packed cells, fresh frozen plasma, platelets, and albumin. Demonstrates ability to identify and act following hospital policy on transfusion reactions.
- Ability to place urinary catheters (single and Three way) using sterile technique. Demonstrates ability to initiate and maintain continuous bladder irrigation (CBI).
- Collects blood samples from central lines and implanted ports.
- Intravenous Fluid Administration and Maintenance: Peripheral, Central, TPN, and Lipids. Demonstrates ability to initiate peripheral IVs: Butterfly and Angiocath.
- Knowlede and ability in the use of Medical Equipment: IV and PCA pump, Enteral Feeding Pumps, CPM, SCDs.
- Airway Management: Demonstrates proper Oxygen set-up (nasal canula, ventimask, NRB, trache collar), tracheotomy care, and suctioning (Oral, nasal, and tracheal.)
- Delivers knowledgeable and appropriate nursing care to patients with peritoneal dialysis.
- Demonstrates appropriate physical assessment of pre and post operative patients.
QUALIFICATIONS: * Graduate of an Accredited School of Nursing * Current TX RN Licensure * Minimum of one year ICU experience or successful completion of ICU internship program * BCLS required * ACLS required-New Grad RN within six months of hire * TNCC preferred
Title: Registered Nurse - Intensive Care Unit (RN ICU)
Location: Texas-Brownsville TX-Valley Regional Medical Center
Requisition ID: 00187-4589