HCA, Hospital Corporation of America Registered Nurse (RN) - Intensive Care Unit ICU CCU in Conroe, Texas
Under the general direction of the Unit Supervisor for the Critical Care Unit the Registered Nurse is responsible for professional nursing care and related assistance to adolescent, young adult, middle adult, and older adult patients admitted for medical/surgical problems. The Registered Nurse utilizes the nursing process in ensuring safe and competent quality patient care. The Registered Nurse supports the medical care of patients under the direction of the Medical Staff pursuant to the mission and objectives of the hospital. The Registered Nurse provides leadership by working cooperatively with ancillary nursing and other patient care team personnel in maintaining standards for professional nursing practice in the clinical setting. The Registered Nurse provides direction to unlicensed assistive personnel in providing patient care. The Registered Nurse must be able to assess his/her own learning needs to enhance personal and professional development. The Registered Nurse will increase knowledge and skills related to patient care by attending workshops, formal classes, seminars and inservices. Actual duties and responsibilities may vary depending on assigned area.
Staff in this job category is responsible for consideration of development issues of patients in each of the following age groups identified.________Infancy (Birth to 1 year (12) Months) ________Toddlers (1 to 3 Years) ________Preschool (Age 3 to 5 years) ________School Age (Age 5 to 12 years) ___X____Adolescent (Age 12 to 18 years) ___X____Young Adult (Age 18 to 44 years) ___X____Middle Adult (Age 45 to Age 65 years) ___X____Older Adult (Age 65 years and Over)
III. PERFORMANCE COMPETENCIES:A. ADMINISTRATIVE COMPETENCIES 1. Employee reflects HCA values and a sensitivity to HCA ethics and compliance principals in his/her daily activities. a. Adheres to policies on appropriate access b. Respects patient confidentiality c. Uphold code of conduct 2. Conforms to hospital dress code for nursing department. 3. Arrives to work on time and initiates work in a timely manner. 4. Willing to adjust personal schedule in case of workload fluctuations or departmental needs.
5. Patient Care Responsibilities a. Assesses, plans, develops, implements and evaluates care of a specific patient population. b. Develops Plans of Care with realistic goals: 1. Obtains informative, accurate and concise nursing assessment. 2. Demonstrates an understanding of the nursing process. 3. Identifies patient problems, symptoms, and psychosocial needs. 4. Utilizes clinical experience and knowledge to anticipate potential patient care problems and/or emergencies and makes provisions to meet them. 5. Validates data obtained by others by reviewing plan of care and admission assessment for a specific patient population. 6. Interprets diagnostic data and incorporates it in the Plan of Care. 7. Plans, implements, sets priorities, and performs direct care or delegates responsibility and collaborates with physicians and other health care team members. 8. Makes nursing rounds and revises plan of care for specific patient population based on observation, changing needs of the patient, and available data obtained by other members of the health care team, patient, and significant other. 9. Works with patient’s significant other and appropriate members of health care team and/or community agencies to plan for discharge. c. Performs procedures basic to the general well being of the patient. 1. Performs nursing skills and can consistently state the rationale underlying these skills. 2. Assesses patient needs continuously in order to perform appropriate nursing interventions and documents in appropriate place. 3. Identifies unsafe patient care practices and assumes responsibility for intervention. Documents where appropriate 4. Demonstrates awareness of and understands the consequences of nursing actions and legalities. 5. Assists physicians in performing examinations, treatments, and procedures. d. Accurately and safely administers medications and records according to nursing policy. e. Accurately and safely administers I.V. Therapy and records according to Nursing Policy. f. Investigates all unfamiliar procedures, techniques and medications (purpose, methods, and side effects) before carrying them out. g. Demonstrates knowledge of epidemiology principles in order to maintain a safe and aesthetic environment. h. Assesses patients understanding of disease process and procedures. i. Prioritizes and organizes care to be given to each patient, using patient input when possible. j. Completes work within acceptable time limits. k. Makes best use of time during shift. l. Performs several tasks simultaneously during peak workload situations. m. Demonstrates a thorough knowledge of work practices, emergency procedures, and personal protective equipment to protect from exposure to chemical, radiation, and infectious hazards. n. Assumes responsibility for own communications and communicates through appropriate channels. 1. Records informative, accurate and concise nursing observations and reports observations to appropriate person. 2. Receives physician’s orders either written or via telephone. Records and carries out the orders. 3. Keeps immediate supervisor informed of patient care problems. 4. Interacts and communicates appropriately and effectively with other departments and coordinates patient schedules based on the needs of the individual patient. 5. Interacts and communicates effectively with health care team to keep them informed of changes in patients condition and/or the plan of care. 6. Interacts and communicates appropriately and effectively with medical staff. 7. Gives organized, pertinent report in a timely manner. 8. Assumes responsibility for discussing, clarifying and/or questioning medical therapy through effective communication with physicians.
e. Teaches patients and/or significant other about disease process and treatment plan. 1. Plans teaching strategies in conjunction with the health care team to meet individual needs that involve the patient and/or significant other. 2. Implements and/or assists others to implement the planned teaching strategies. 3. Evaluates, revises and documents the teaching strategies in relation to the response of patient and/or significant others. 6. Leadership Responsibilities: a. Demonstrates leadership ability by planning, implementing, evaluating, and coordinating the activities of a group as delegated. b. Satisfactorily functions as a Team Leader or Team Member. c. Functions as a charge person after satisfactory completion of charge orientation. d. Makes recommendations for assigning personnel to provide for patient care during assigned shift. e. Acts as a resource person and gives assistance to staff in performance of their duties. f. Evaluates nursing and patient care goals. g. Participates in multidisciplinary patient care conferences. h. Follows through with assignments, informs supervisor of an inability to complete task. i. Consults supervisor during light workload situations for additional assignments or independently seeks tasks needing to be done. j. Willing to adjust personal schedule in case of workload fluctuations or other departmental needs. 7. Professional Growth Responsibilities: a. Attends hospital and unit inservices as required and maintains continuing education based on licensure requirements. b. Maintains current BLS certification and attains and maintains ACLS certification.
c. Knows the philosophy, policies, guidelines, and protocols of the hospital, nursing department, and own unit and participates in evaluation and revision of same. d. Participates in unit process improvement activities.lC. INTERACTIVE COMPETENCIES
- Maintains own personal growth through appropriate organizations, workshops, seminars, and other education endeavors.
- Actively participates in hospital and departmental committees and group meetings with a focus on improving the quality of patient care.
- Communicates effectively with staff and management members maintaining harmonious relationships.
- Readily accepts re-assignment of duties from Unit Supervisor/Designee when department priorities change.
- Consistently checks with other staff members and assists them when needed.
- Maintains awareness of current developments and trends in nursing practice as appropriate to the provision of nursing care.
IV. EDUCATION / EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
A. Current licensure in Texas or an approved compact state as a Registered Nurse or proof of application for licensure. B. BLS certified required upon start C. ACLS certification is required upon hire for those RN’s with previous IMU/ ICU/ ER experience. All others will have to obtain ACLS within 6-months of employment
V. PHYSICAL DEMANDS
A. Physical Activity: D.O.T. Strength Rating: H. B. Working Hazards or Risks - routine hazards and risks involved in performing nursing activities, including potential exposure to infectious processes, potential exposure to hazardous substances, potential musculoskeletal injuries. C. OSHA Blood Borne Risk Category I.
Title: Registered Nurse (RN) - Intensive Care Unit ICU CCU
Location: Texas-Conroe-Conroe Regional Medical Center - Conroe
Requisition ID: 06437-57853