Travis County Texas CSCD Clinical Mental Health Professional in Del Valle, Texas
Conducts screening, assessment and counseling for clients on probation with Travis County Community Justice Services. Identifies, assesses and diagnoses mental health and substance use disorders and determines appropriate treatment options for clients. Works as part of multi-disciplinary treatment team to address mental health symptoms that impact clients' participation and progress in treatment. Provides consultation to other staff regarding clients' mental health symptoms. Assists in developing counseling programs and intervention techniques for the dual-diagnosis population; assists in providing related training to staff.
This is a job classification within the Social Services job family. This classification is distinguished from the CSCD Chemical Dependency Counselor position in that it requires assessment and treatment of mental health problems as well as substance use disorders. This classification requires work in a residential treatment facility with clients who have significant substance abuse problems as well as mental illness, in some cases. This position also requires weekly assessment of clients incarcerated in the Travis County Jail. This position may require a flexible schedule in order to meet the needs of the Department.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Performs screening and assessment of clients for substance use disorders and mental health problems. Identifies personality characteristics and antisocial thinking that may impact participation in treatment. Conducts clinical interview and administers screening instruments as necessary. Determines appropriateness for treatment in specified facilities.
- Conducts individual and group counseling. Utilizes evidence-based interventions to assist clients in acquiring skills to manage substance use, mental health symptoms and enact behavior change. Utilizes motivational interviewing to address client ambivalence and support the change process.
- Crisis intervention and assessment of client suicidality or potential for violence.
- Develops treatment plans and identifies interventions and services to support clients' efforts toward meeting goals and objectives. Monitors client progress. Develops discharge plans.
- Coordinates referral of clients to clinical resources and other services. Addresses obstacles to service delivery.
- Works as part of a multi-disciplinary treatment team which includes counselors, probation officers, nurse, psychiatrist and resident support staff. Provides consultation on issues related to mental health.
- Assists in planning, developing and conducting training sessions for staff and volunteers.
- Conducts presentations related to substance abuse treatment and counseling for outside groups, agencies and organizations.
- Performs other job related duties as assigned. Minimum Requirements
Education and Experience:
Master's Degree in Counseling, Social Work or Psychology. AND one (1) year experience in counseling or social services.
Licenses, Registrations, Certifications, or Special Requirements:
Valid Texas Driver's License. At least one of the following: Licensed Masters of Social Work (LMSW) Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW) Licensed Professional Counselor (LPC) Licensed Psychologist Must be fully licensed at the time of hire.
Preferred: Two (2) years' paid experience in the counseling, social work, human services, education or criminal justice fields providing direct services to clients.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- DSM-5 classification of mental and substance use disorders.
- Procedures for assessing the substance abuse, psychosocial and environmental status of clients.
- Evidence based intervention strategies including motivational interviewing and cognitive behavioral therapy.
- Criminogenic risk factors that lead to incarceration and criminal justice involvement.
- Proper documentation practices.
- Crisis prevention strategies.
- Active listening, critical thinking, problem solving, sound judgment and decision making.
- Deescalating and resolving crisis situations.
- Conducting cognitive behavioral interventions and utilizing motivational interviewing to facilitate behavior change.
- Conducting biopsychosocial assessments.
- Documenting assessment data and results; documenting treatment.
- Developing treatment plans.
- Verbal and written communication.
- Developing and conducting training sessions.
Using computer equipment and software including Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, databases and computerized record systems. Ability to:
Discern potential problems and involve appropriate staff in problem solving.
- Resolve conflict.
- Apply counseling theory, practice and procedures.
- Work efficiently, both independently and as a team member.
- Manage time well and meet timelines.
- Maintain a safe and secure environment.
- Interact with patients in a professional and caring manner.
- Communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with departmental clientele, other County employees and officials, community outreach and other organizations, clinical service providers, law enforcement personnel and the general public. Work Environment & Other Information
Physical requirements include the ability to lift/carry up to 50 pounds occasionally, visual acuity, speech and hearing, hand and eye coordination and manual dexterity necessary to operate a computer and office equipment. Subject to standing, sitting, walking, climbing stairs, bending, stooping, crouching, kneeling, pushing, pulling, and reaching.
This job description is intended to be generic in nature. It is not necessarily an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities. The essential duties, functions and responsibilities and overtime eligibility may vary based on the specific tasks assigned to the position.
Work Hours: 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM; Monday through Friday
Department: CSCD Adult Probation
Location: 3404 FM 973; Del Valle
Criminal Background Check Required.
Salary: $42,382.08 - $52,977.60 Annually $42,382.08 - $52,977.60 Annually
Job Number: 15-03303
Location: Del Valle, TX
Closing: 10/27/2016 11:59 PM Central
Job Type: Full Time
Department: CSCD Adult Probation
Agency: Travis County
Address: 700 Lavaca Street, Suite 420 Austin, Texas, 78701.