University of North Texas Senior Accountant in Denton, Texas
The System Controller department provides all accounting, reporting, and service focused operations for all University of North Texas System component institutions. The areas of responsibility include Campus Accounting & Reporting, Student Accounting Services, Accounts Payable, Payroll, centralized external and internal financial reporting, and external compliance related reporting.
The University of North Texas System is comprised of three component institutions with four major locations: University of North Texas located in Denton, TX, University of North Texas Health Science Center located in Fort Worth, TX, University of North Texas at Dallas located in the Oak Cliff area of Dallas, TX, and University of North Texas System located in Downtown Dallas, TX.
The Senior Accountant performs moderately complex (journey-level) accounting work. Work involves preparing financial statements, records, documents, and reports. May specialize in some phase of accounting work such as state funds accounting, property and equipment control, cost, payroll, budgeting, or bond servicing. Works under general supervision, with limited latitude for the use of initiative and independent judgment.
Responsibilities of the position include but are not limited to:
- Prepares financial statements, reports, schedules, and exhibits; prepares and/or processes general journal entries; and prepares and/or processes payment, cash, purchase, travel,and related vouchers.
- Prepares periodic analyses of fund balances and expenditures; and prepares technical reports on payroll, estimates, cost data, and budget items.
- Audits accounting and financial documents for accuracy and compliance with departmental policies and procedures and state and federal statutes.
- Classifies, codes, posts, and balances financial and accounting documents and records.
- Reviews agency accounting records, such as expenditure, fund, appropriation, expense, and revenue collection records, and ensures agency assets are accounted for properly.
- Maintains adequate records of expenditures, funds, appropriations, and expenses, as well as revenue collected and deposited.
- Maintains systems and controls necessary to provide accurate accounts of expenditures and account balances.
- Researches and reconciles discrepancies in accounts, bank statements, or appropriation balances; and reports findings.
- Assists in making recommendations for improvements, adaptations, or revisions to the accounting system and accompanying procedures.
- Assists in planning procedures and regulations to control the disbursement of allocated funds and in preparing letters of instruction, manual revisions, and related forms as necessary.
- Performs related work as assigned.
The University of North Texas System is firmly committed to equal opportunity and does not permit - and takes actions to prevent - discrimination, harassment (including sexual violence), and retaliation on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, family status, genetic information, citizenship or veteran status in its application and admission processes, educational programs and activities, facilities, and employment practices. The University of North Texas System immediately investigates and takes remedial action when appropriate.
The University of North Texas System also takes actions to prevent retaliation against individuals who oppose a discriminatory practice, file a charge, or testify, assist or participate in an investigative proceeding or hearing.
Bachelor's Degree in accounting, finance or a related field related field and three years of accounting experience; The following knowledge, skills, and abilities are required:
- Knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles and procedures affecting the maintenance of accounting records and automated accounting systems.
- Working knowledge of MS Office suite.
- Skill in using office computer information systems to organize, store, manipulate and retrieve data.
- Effective communications skills both orally and in writing.
- Critical thinking skills.
- Ability to plan, organize and effectively manage multiple assignments.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships.
- Ability to work in a fast paced environment, with frequently changing priorities.
Focused on providing a high level of customer service and follow-through.
Current Texas CPA license or ability to gain via reciprocity.
- Experience in a Texas public higher education institution
- Experience with PeopleSoft
- USAS experience
Special Instructions to Applicants
Applicants must submit a resume, a cover letter and a list of three professional references with their online application.
Requisition Number: 152148
Job Title: Senior Accountant
Official Title: Senior Accountant
Position Number: 00001083
Department: UNT Controller - 926200
Is this an internal posting only?: No
Is this a security sensitive position?: Yes
Driving a University Vehicle?: Yes
Job Open Date: 10-11-2016
Job Close Date: Open Until Filled
Pay Rate: Salary Commensurate with Experience
Pay Basis: Monthly
Job Type: Full-time Permanent
Quicklink for Posting: jobs.unt.edu/applicants/Central?quickFind=62637