Texas Tech University Medical Secretary in El Paso, Texas
To perform specialized clerical and secretarial duties in support of the medical staff/faculty of the TTUHSC. Employees in this position are responsible for performing varied and complex office duties which require a thorough knowledge of departmental and institutional policies and procedures, as well as medical and scientific terminology. Work is performed under general office conditions requiring a high degree of telephone and personal contact with HSC faculty, staff, patients, and outside professionals. Work is also performed under pressure of deadlines, which may include frequent requests for urgent reports.
- Serves as Emergency Medicine department receptionist. Provides general information in response to in-person and telephone inquires from HSC staff, patients, general public, etc. Handles questions and requests when appropriate, or refers person inquiring to appropriate faculty or staff member.
- Responsible for sorting and distribution of mail to appropriate personnel. Mail for faculty is given to Medical Admin Secretary or Lead Specialist of Chair and faculty support. Mail for residents is given to residency Program Coordinator.
- Responsible for clerical support of faculty members in the Research Division. Maintains their schedule. Transcribes and types correspondence, manuscripts, and lectures. Also assists with clerical support in the department.
- Responsible for making travel arrangements for research division and department after seeking approval. Prepares travel applications and voucher with pertinent information.
- Responsible for purchasing equipment & supplies for Division of Research and department. This will be done with purchase orders, direct pay, etc. Responsible for maintaining files and pertinent documentation on all orders and expenditures in the event of an audit. Assigned a procurement card. Keeps and reconciles log, reviews account codes and submits for approval.
- Maintains schedule for Department of Emergency Medicine conference room. Keeps binder with all requests sent via e-mail. Requests are entered on a first come first basis. On a weekly basis, confirms reservations of rooms with parties involved. Ensures monthly faculty/chairs meetings and Thursday conference are listed throughout the year.
- May schedule appointments for interviews, meetings, conferences, etc. for supervisors and maintains their calendars.
- Assists in collecting, assembling, and distributing curriculum, and teaching materials.
- Assists with typing, filing material and deliveries to and from departments at TTUHSC and UMC.
- Checks all printers (large multi-user only), copier and fax machine for paper supply. Replenish paper supply on a daily basis throughout the day.
- Maintains departmental telephone, pager and e-mail listing. Assures listing is kept current. Revises listing as soon as revision is announced. Distributes listing to employees of the Department of Emergency Medicine.
- Meets with supervisors weekly or on as needed basis to apprise of any major projects, work flow and any problems encountered.
- Other duties as assigned.
A minimum of a High school diploma or GED. At least 90 days experience as a Medical Secretary Trainee. OR * Three years of secretarial experience with 1 year in a medical or educational setting.
Knowledge and experience in Banner/Cognos purchasing and travel processes.
As an EEO/AA employer, the Texas Tech University System and its components will not discriminate in our employment practices based on an applicant’s race, ethnicity, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, genetic information or status as a protected veteran.
Compensation is commensurate upon the qualifications of the individual selected and budgetary guidelines of the hiring department, as well as, the institutional pay plan. For additional information, please reference the institutional pay plan on the Human Resources webpage.
Extended Job Title: Medical Secretary
Work Location: El Paso
Org Level 1: Texas Tech Unv Hlth Sci Ctr El Paso
Campus: HSC - El Paso
Department: Emergency Medicine Elp Genl
Does this position work in a research laboratory?: No
Job Type: Full Time
Job Group: Clerical/Secretarial
Pay Basis: Hourly
Minimum Hire Rate: 13.41
Travel Required: None
Schedule Details: 8am-5pm or as directed by supervisor
Grant Funded?: No
Requisition ID: 9006BR