BD (Becton, Dickinson and Company) Principal Utilities Engineer in El Paso, Texas
Life-changers work here
At CareFusion, we create innovative ways to help our customers improve patient care. We rely on bold and inspired employees who share our commitment to helping solve some of healthcare's most critical challenges.
CareFusion is now part ofBecton Dickinson, a global medical technology company focused on addressing many of the world's most pressing and evolving health needs. With our combined technology and expertise, we will become a global leader helping to transform the quality and cost of care for patients and clinicians worldwide. Join us in our mission to improve the future of healthcare and help all people lead healthy lives.
Job Title:Principal Utilities Engineer Job Family Group (Function):Engineering Job Family:Mechanical Engineering Track/Level:P3
Position Summary: Utilities & Facilities Engineer originates and develops analysis methods for determining maintenance / unplanned maintenance demands (e.g., PM's, PDM's, Work Orders, safety inspection, area projects, day-to-day equipment and systems support) for site facilities and utility equipment’s. Acquires downtime data and analyzes the data. Prepares diagrams, charts, drawings, calculations, and reports for defining downtime problems, and makes recommendations for reducing outages. Conduct an analysis of downtime problems and investigate to determining the manpower/equipment required for the particular situation considering the cost limitations for equipment up/down time, repair / replacement and availability of materials. Determines the cost advantages of alternatives for developing action plans to comply with customer demands for outages of equipment.
Essentially responsible for designing, developing, installing, managing and/or maintaining equipment which are used to monitor and control engineering systems or machinery. The main objective of the work is to ensure that these systems or machinery operate effectively, efficiently and safely.
- Hands-on experience in equipment upgrades and integration of new technology to improve plant facilities / central utilities operations. Required a thorough understanding of the operational processes of an organization and have a truly multidisciplinary role, working closely with colleagues across a number of functions at all levels of the organization, including operations, maintenance, procurement, quality, validation and project engineering.
- Daily responsibilities include solutions implementation, support site operations and maintenance team objectives. This position demands a team player approach to project execution.
- Self-starter and have a proven track record in plant central utilities, equipment maintenance and troubleshooting, leadership as well as the ability to develop and implement standard engineering practices, as well as provide detailed documentation of project phase strategy.
- Responsible to manage facility / utilities improvement projects, equipment modifications and upgrades. Initiate the detailed project phase strategy (feasibility, concept, cost, impact, timeline, risks, basic design, regulatory impact, and implementation) to determine expected deliverables and recommendations for the Go/No Go decision making stage. Prepare supporting documentation for presentation to management to obtain project & funding approval.
- Technical skills, including know-how for building construction, clean rooms, laboratories, process / utilities equipment, and process engineering in the field of Medical Device or Pharmaceutical.
- Provide engineering support to Plant operations 24/7 (overall facilities, utilities, equipment, etc.) and lead plant shutdowns.
- Demonstrated project management skills, develops and writes equipment specifications, user requirement specifications, performance requirements, cost analysis, capital projects (CAR’s) and proposal for integrating new machinery-utilities into the site. Lead and coordinate technical review meetings, design reviews, FAT/SAT’s, equipment OEM’s and cross-functional teams across BD network.
- The ideal candidate must have knowledge of process / utilities instrumentation and expertise in all of the following project phases: Requirements documentation, detailed design generation, implementation, system integration, testing, qualification/validation, factory acceptance test, startup and implementation.
- Operate test equipment and analyze resulting data. Performs diagnostics, on failed equipment or intermittent issues to correct the problems, determine root cause, and make recommendations for corrective actions to prevent re-occurrences.
- Knowledge in SolidWorks, CAD, MS Project software applications, maintains up to date plant drawings (plumbing, electrical, mechanical, security, site layout, equipment layout, etc.)
- Ability to define problems collects data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical, graphical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
- Schedules and coordinates adequate coverage for the department, depending on the business needs. Responsible to maintain an adequate inventory of spare parts of all critical utilities.
- Prepare facilities operating / capital budgets in accordance with production forecast and Plant objectives. Assists with preparation of re-forecasts as required.
Ability to lead a multi-discipline team both as a supervisor and in a technical capacity.
- The main objective of the work is to ensure that central utility systems and processes operate effectively, efficiently and safely.
- Performs diagnostics, on failed equipment or intermittent issues to correct the problems, determine root cause, and make recommendations for corrective actions to prevent re-occurrences.
- Creates, identifies and implements new and innovative ideas/technologies for the successful development of business opportunities. Identifies and implements initiatives to improve utilities efficiencies. Develops new systems, practices and procedures to enhance the performance of the business.
- Facilitates change through creative technical solutions that are grounded in a realistic assessment of what can be achieved. Ensures documentation of all maintenance activities is completed using SAP or Blue Mounting.
- Implement security systems / methodology in accordance with BD requirements in order to mitigate loss and risks.
- Ensures that all operations in all areas of responsibility comply with federal and local regulatory agencies (e.g., OSHA, EPA, FDA, MHRA, EMEA, etc.).
- Hands on attitude to resolve complex process and equipment issues, improve equipment reliability and efficiencies.
- Regularly inspects equipment / property and insures required maintenance and repairs are completed, as necessary.
- This is a high profile position, a technical lead/advisor for the Engineering Department through teamwork and the formation of key alliances will drive, support and implement key Plant projects and initiatives.
- Ensures adherence to company safety standards, policies and procedures. Insures maintenance staff correctly wears and uses safety equipment, as required. Also, insures that all safety inspections are completed as required and ensures adherence to company key control policies.
Incumbent has full authority to make decisions and/or take action that is required to carry out job duties. BD internal requirements include compliance with code of ethics, environmental health and safety, financial, human resources, 5S, housekeeping, cGMP procedures, general business policies, requirements and objectives.
BS Degree Electrical Engineering or Mechanical Engineering (Preferred).
- Minimum 5 years of experience within FDA regulated industries (Pharmaceutical or Medical device).
- Requires a thorough understanding of the pharmaceutical water systems, boilers, central chillers, HVAC, BMS systems, hazard waste management, ISO 7- ISO 8 clean rooms, compress air system, facility maintenance, capital projects, utilities qualification / validation, etc.
- Must be experienced on maintenance and trouble shooting on Electrical, Hydraulic, HVAC, boiler and compressed air systems, utilities automated systems and facilities.
- Experience maintaining utilities/facilities PM’s, SOPs and record managing systems (Blue Mountain / SAP) and spare parts inventory.
- Must be a team work player and be able to work independent and self-driven in some situations.
- Must have experience on Reliability Centered Maintenance (RCM).
- Must have experience on MS office, windows operative systems, AutoCAD, SAP, BM (Blue Mountain).
- Engineer must be proficient on reading schematics for Electrical, Mechanical, Hydraulic and Pneumatic applications.
- Have a proven track record in Project Management, leadership as well as the ability to develop and implement standard engineering practices, and provide detailed documentation upon project completion.
- Bilingual English and Spanish (preferred)
CareFusion is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, genetic information, disability status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Title: Principal Utilities Engineer
Location: Texas-El Paso
Requisition ID: 1605011P