WestRock Safety Manager in Evadale, Texas
WestRock Company (NYSE: WRK) aspires to be the premier partner and unrivaled provider of paper and packaging solutions in consumer and corrugated markets. WestRock’s 39,000 team members support customers around the world from more than 250 operating and business locations spanning North America, South America, Europe and Asia. Learn more at www.westrock.com .
MWV and RockTenn have come together to form WestRock. WestRock makes consumer and corrugated packaging solutions that give our customers a winning edge in the global marketplace. We partner closely with customers on everything from beverage packs and pizza boxes to trigger sprayers and fragrance pumps to paperboard used for a wide variety of packaging and shipping containers. We consider ourselves to be part of their team – as we strive for continuous improvement together.
Every day, our 42,000 team members combine practical innovations and rigorous execution in about 275 operating and business facilities across North America, South America, Europe and Asia to deliver products and services that answer unique local needs. We expect to win as a company and lead the industry by achieving success together with our customers, employees and investors.
We are seeking a Safety Manager to be located at our mill in Evadale, Texas.
The Safety Manager has overall responsibility for helping to lead, motivate and foster a safety-conscious culture in the workplace to reduce incidents and injuries. He/she promotes the continuous improvement of facility safety and health systems to result in the reduction of incidents and illness, the assurance of regulatory compliance, and to make safe behaviors part of day-to-day thinking. The Safety Manager is expected to coordinate and manage the day-to-day activities related to meeting all safety and health standards established by applicable regulation, as well as policies and procedures established internally. He/she will coordinate not only required regulatory training, but will administrate the facility’s job training function. In addition, the Safety Manager serves as backup to the mill’s Environmental Coordinator.
Responsibilities of this position include managing all safety and training, and assisting with some environmental programs. This includes, but is not limited to:
- Plan, direct and manage the safety & health programs (including safety, health, industrial hygiene, transportation safety) for the facility under senior management direction to ensure that the facility is aware of, and in compliance with, applicable regulatory & company requirements
- Personal involvement with mill personnel to encourage safe behaviors and to audit, identifies, and corrects safety violations and deficiencies (60% of time in field)
- Manages SLA to insure adequate technical support from the SH&E Shared Business Support & Corporate SH&E Policy & Strategy groups
- Represent facility business interests during enterprise strategy, goal, and policy/program development activities
- Direct Risk Management Plan and Process Safety Management programs
- Strategic business unit/facility safety & health planning.
- Cross-functional coordination to ensure SH&E issues are communicated and addressed (e.g. HR/Ops/Maint/Engr).
- Represent the facility before regulatory agencies.
- Develop site-specific procedures to implement enterprise policies and applicable regulatory safety & health requirements.
- Prepare regulatory submittals or coordinate/supervise their completion on behalf of the facility.
- Review/Approve all applicable capital investment requests.
- Incident/accident response oversight, investigation & reporting.
- Audit participation & action plan status updates.
- Public outreach/Community complaint follow-up.
- Set and control local Safety and Medical budget
- BS degree in safety, engineering or science discipline; Advanced degree desirable
- Certified Safety Professional preferred
- 7 – 10 years or more of broad safety & health experience including compliance auditing in industrial setting (medical, industrial hygiene, transportation safety experience a plus).
- Comprehensive working knowledge of SH&E issues and governmental regulations.
- Demonstrated work history of safety performance improvement (e.g., TCIR)
- Management experience required
- Expert in safety & health issues and regulations relating to the business unit
- Ability to act as strategic partner for the business
- Ability to function well in a matrix reporting organization
- Strong oral and written communication skills including ability to present information in a clear and concise manner to staff and employees at all levels.
- Must manage multiple and/or conflicting issues/priorities
- Must be effective in engaging the workforce in Safety goals and objectives
- Travel Requirements: Minimum (1 – 5 trips/year)
If this sounds great to you and you think you fit in, please submit your application. We want to hear from you!
WestRock Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to creating and maintaining a diverse workforce: Minorities/Females/ Disabled/Veterans.
Lean Six Sigma/Quality/Safety