U.S. Army Medical Command Respiratory Therapist in Fort Hood, Texas
Civilian employees serve a vital role in supporting the Army mission. They provide the skills that are not readily available in the military, but crucial to support military operations. The Army integrates the talents and skills of its military and civilian members to form a Total Army.
This position is being filled under the Expedited Hiring Authority for Shortage Category and/or Critical Need Health Care Occupations.
About the Position:
This position is located at MEDCOM(Medical Command), CRDAMC(Carl R Darnall Army Medical Center), Pulmonary, Inhal/Resp Ther
Who May Apply: U.S. Citizens
As a Respiratory Therapist, you will rotate to intensive care units (neonatal, pediatrics and adult) and to hospital wards to perform diagnostic and therapeutic procedures. Set up and monitor a variety of complex respiratory equipment such as ventilatory life support systems in the critical care areas. Monitor and interpret values such as pulse oximetry, arterial blood gas analysis, expired carbon dioxide, etc., for the purpose of reporting patient status and making recommendations to physicians regarding treatment. Monitor tube cuff pressure and inspect equipment and patient to ensure proper functioning of the ventilatory life support system. Calibrate complex respiratory equipment such as computerized ventilators, co-oximeters, blood gas analysis machines, expired carbon dioxide monitors, oxygen monitors, high frequency jet ventilators and metabolic carts to assure accurate performance. Perform emergency care and mechanical troubleshooting of equipment as needed.
- Occasional Travel
- 5% BUSINESS TRAVEL (TDY)
- Payment of Permanent Change of Station (PCS) cost is not authorized.
In order to qualify, you must meet the education and/or experience requirements described below. Your resume must clearly describe your relevant experience; if qualifying based on education, your transcripts will be required as part of your application. Additional information about transcripts is in this document.
Experience required: Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student; social). You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience. To qualify based on your experience, your resume must describe at least one year of experience which prepared you to do the work in this job. Specialized experience is defined as: operating a wide variety of complex respiratory therapy equipment, such as volume ventilators, to provide emergency and intensive respiratory care to patients.This definition of specialized experience is typical of work performed at the next lower grade/level position in the federal service (GS-07).
You will be evaluated on the basis of your level of competency (knowledge, skills, abilities) in the following areas:
- Knowledge of clinical assessment procedures.
- Skill in equipment operation.
- Ability to effectively communicate with patients and staff.
- Ability to apply critical thinking and response skills.
Time in Grade Requirement: Applicants who have held a General Schedule (GS) position within the last 52 weeks must have 52 weeks of Federal service at the GS-7 grade (or equivalent).
Some federal jobs allow you to substitute your education for the required experience in order to qualify. For this job, you may qualify if your education meets the definitions below:
Please refer to the assessment questionnaire under Minimum Qualifications for the entire list of education and combination of education/experience requirements. Questions will begin with "Select the one statement that best describes..."TAG:Link to Questions Only
Notes: Transcripts, official OR unofficial, MUST be uploaded or faxed with your application package if you are substituting education for experience or combining education and experience to meet the qualification requirements.
Only degrees from an accredited college or university recognized by the Department of Education are acceptable to meet positive education requirements or to substitute education for experience. For additional information, please go to the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) and U.S. Department of Education websites at - http://www.opm.gov/qualifications and http://www.ed.gov/admins/finaid/accred/index.html
Foreign education must be evaluated for U.S. equivalency in order to be considered for this position. Transcripts must be uploaded with your application.
Other Requirements: Click here for expanded definitions.
- Male applicants born after December 31, 1959 must complete a Pre-Employment Certification Statement for Selective Service Registration.
- You will be required to provide proof of U.S. Citizenship.
- Two year trial/probationary period may be required.
- Direct Deposit of Pay is Required.
- Personnel Security Investigation required.
- This position is subject to annual seasonal influenza vaccinations. Applicants tentatively selected for appointment to this position will be required to sign a statement (Condition of Employment) consenting to seasonal influenza vaccinations or must provide a recognized exemption.
- This position is a Testing Designated Position (TDP) subject to applicant testing and random drug testing. Tentatively selected applicants will be required to sign DA Form 5019 requiring participation in random drug urinalysis testing. A job offer to an applicant who is a not a current employee will be withdrawn if the applicant refuses to be tested. Applicants with verified positive test results shall be refused employment. Applications from such individuals shall not be considered for employment for a period of 6 months from the date of the test results.
- A pre-placement medical examination is required.
- All Health Care Providers must be able to obtain and maintain current Basic Life Support (BLS) Training and certification that is sponsored or endorsed by the American Heart Association (AHA). Current Advanced Life Support or other advanced certification does not supersede BLS completion.
- This position is identified as Weather Essential which may require the incumbent to report to work when inclement weather has curtailed operations (examples: facility/post closure, delayed reporting).
- This position requires shift work which will include nights, weekends and holidays. I am willing to work any shift.
- This position is subject to working with patients under the age of 18 years old, which requires a criminal history background check in each state resided during the past five years. I am willing to comply with the criminal history background check requirement.
Public Trust - Background Investigation
What To Expect Next
If you provided an email address, you will receive an email message acknowledging receipt of your application. Your application package will be used to determine your eligibility, qualifications, and quality ranking for this position.
If you are determined to be ineligible or not qualified, your application will receive no further consideration.
The documents you submit must support your responses to the online questionnaire. If your application contradicts or does not support your questionnaire responses, you will receive a rating of "not qualified" or "incomplete application" and you will not receive further consideration for this job.
The Department of Defense offers an excellent benefits program.In addition to your take-home pay, your comprehensive compensation/benefits package will include most of the benefits described in the USAJOBS Resource Center.
- Selection is subject to restrictions resulting from Department of Defense referral system for displaced employees.
- If you have retired from federal service and you are interested in employment as a reemployed annuitant, see the information in the Reemployed Annuitantinformation sheet.
- You may claim military spouse preference, see the information in the Military Spouse Preference Under Delegated Examining Procedures information sheet.
- Multiple positions may be filled from this announcement.
- Salary includes applicable locality pay or Local Market Supplement.
- This is a Career Program (CP) 53 position.
- Further certification from this announcement may take place up to 90 days beyond the closing date of this announcement.
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/472259100. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.
Salary Range: $45,056.00 to $58,570.00 / Per Year
Series & Grade: GS-0651-08/08
Promotion Potential: 08
Supervisory Status: No
Who May Apply: United States Citizens
Control Number: 472259100
Job Announcement Number: WTEF178708241972675EM