Field Operating Offices of the Office of the Secretary of the Army Economist (Recent Graduate) in Fort Worth, Texas
Field Operating Offices of the Office of the Secretary of the Army
1 vacancy in the following location:
- Fort Worth, TX
Work Schedule is Full Time - Recent Graduates
Opened Tuesday 10/11/2016 (13 day(s) ago)
** Closes Monday 10/24/2016 (0 day(s) away)
Civilian employees serve a vital role in supporting the Army mission. They provide the skills that are not readily available in the military, but crucial to support military operations. The Army integrates the talents and skills of its military and civilian members to form a Total Army.
About the Position: This position is part of the Army Civilian Training, Education, and Development System (ACTEDS) and is a CIVILIAN position with the Department of Army. The incumbent will serve as an Economist trainee with the United States Army Corps of Engineers (USACE).
- This is a Career Program (CP) #18 position.
- Position(s) will be filled under the Department of the Army Recent Graduates Program.
Click herefor more information on Pathways program participants. The Department of the Army Recent Graduates Program affords developmental experiences in the Department of Army intended to promote possible careers in the civil service to individuals who have recently graduated from qualifying educational institutions or programs. Successful applicants are placed in a dynamic, developmental program with the potential to lead to a civil service career in the Federal Government. After Program completion, Department of the Army Recent Graduates MAY be converted to a permanent position. To be eligible for conversion to a permanent or term position, Recent Graduates must:
- Successfully complete at least 1-year of continuous service in addition to all requirements of the Program.
- Demonstrate successful job performance.
- Meet the Office of Personnel Management's qualifications for the position to which the Recent Graduate will be converted.
To learn more, please visit: https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/hiring-information/students-recent-graduates/#url=graduates/
Department of the Army Recent Graduates Program Eligibles Positions are open to:
- Recent graduates who have completed, within the previous two years (or will complete no later than December 2016) a qualifying associates, bachelors, masters, professional, doctorate, vocational or technical degree or certificate from a qualifying educational institution.
- Preference eligible veterans unable to apply within two years of receiving their degree, due to military service obligation, have as much as six years after degree completion to apply.
As an Economist (INTERN) you will be responsible for, but not limited to, the following:
- Assist in economic analysis for water resources development projects.
- Assist in conducting surveys of the project area and reviewing existing or historical study documentation.
- Analyze and evaluate data, using computer modeling such as Geographic Information Systems (GIS)/Microsoft Excel/Hydrologic Engineering Center Flood Damage Analysis (HEC-FDA), to determine potential damages of flooded areas, quantify benefits to be derived from proposed improvements, and estimate economic impact of the project.
- Use analytical models/computer programs taking into account the economic situation such as interest rates, structure and content values, hydrologic and hydraulic variables and projected urban development.
- Assist in data collection from a variety of sources including Census Bureau, Bureau of Economic Analysis, USGS, etc.
Incumbent works under closer supervision and works in a developmental capacity performing assignments and completing training, both of which are aimed in preparing the incumbent to gain the knowledge and skills necessary to perform the duties outlined in the aforementioned job description. The incumbent receives progressively more responsible assignments as experience and training are received to the next higher level position.
- Occasional Travel
- Up to 10% Business Travel required.
- Payment of moving expenses is authorized subject to the provisions of the Joint Travel Regulations.
- Must sign a mobility agreement if selected.
In order to qualify, you must meet the education and/or experience requirements described below. Your resume must clearly describe your relevant experience; if qualifying based on education, your transcripts will be required as part of your application. Additional information about transcripts is in this document.
Basic Requirement: A. Successful completion (or completion by December 2016) of at least a bachelors degree in economics, that included at least 21 semester hours in economics and 3 semester hours in statistics, accounting, or calculus. OR B. Combination of education and experience--courses equivalent to a major in economics, as shown in A above, plus appropriate experience or additional education.
AND In addition to meeting the basic qualification requirements above, one of the following is also REQUIRED for the GS-07 Level: a. One year of specialized experience equivalent to GS-05 grade level work in the Federal service which includes using analytical models/computer programs, taking into account the economic situation such as interest rates, structure and content values, hydrologic and hydraulic variables and projected urban development; or, assisting in the preparation of economic reports to document findings, recommendations, project benefit areas and costs for alternative plans; or, assisting in conducting economic surveys and reviewing existing or historical study documentation. Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student; social). You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience (please be sure to include number of hours worked for each experience listed on your resume). b. Successful completion of at least one full year of graduate-level education that would have equipped the candidate with the knowledge, skills and abilities to perform the work of the position. One year of graduate coursework is 18 semester hours or 27 quarter hours. c. If you have some, but not all, of the specialized experience or education described above, you may still qualify by combining the amount of creditable experience and graduate education that you possess. To compute the percentage, divide your total months of qualifying experience by 12. Then divide your semester hours of graduate education by 18. Add the two percentages. The total percentage must equal at least 100% to qualify. d. Successful completion (or completion by December 2016) of a bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university with Superior Academic Achievement. To qualify based on S.A.A., education must be fully qualifying for the position being filled. Applicant must meet one of the following provisions: 1. A standing in the upper third of your graduating class in the college, university, or major subdivision. 2. A grade point average of "B" (3.0 on a 4.0 scale) or its equivalent for (a) all courses completed; or (b) courses completed during the last two years of the curriculum. 3. A grade point average of "B+" (3.5. on a 4.0 scale) or its equivalent based on (a) the average of the required courses completed in the major field; or (b) the required courses in the major field completed during the final 2 years of the curriculum. 4. Election to membership in one of the national honorary societies (other than freshman societies) that meets the requirements of the Association of College of Honor Societies. Grade point averages should be rounded to one decimal point. For example, 2.95 is rounded to 3.0, and 2.94 is rounded to 2.9. NOTE: If more than 10 percent of your undergraduate course work (credit hours) was taken on a pass/fail or similar basis, your S.A.A. claim must be based on class standing or membership in an honor society and you must provide evidence of your class standing or honor society membership with your application.
- Only degrees from an accredited college or university recognized by the Department of Education are acceptable to meet positive education requirements or to substitute education for experience.
- Foreign education must be evaluated for U.S. equivalency in order to be considered for this position. You must include documentation to support U.S. equivalency.
Other Requirements:Click here for expanded definitions.
- Male applicants born after December 31, 1959 must complete a Pre-Employment Certification Statement for Selective Service Registration.
- You will be required to provide proof of U.S. Citizenship.
- One year trial/probationary period may be required.
- Direct Deposit of Pay is Required.
- Personnel security investigation required.
- If selected, official college or university transcripts must be submitted. However, unofficial transcripts must be submitted at the time of application.
- Recent Graduates must sign a Participant Agreement with the Agency.
What To Expect Next
If you provided an email address, you will receive an email message acknowledging receipt of your application. Your application package will be used to determine your eligibility, qualifications, and quality ranking for this position.
If you are determined to be ineligible or not qualified, your application will receive no further consideration.
The documents you submit must support your responses to the online questionnaire. If your application contradicts or does not support your questionnaire responses, you will receive a rating of "not qualified" or "incomplete application" and you will not receive further consideration for this job.
The Department of Defense offers an excellent benefits program.In addition to your take-home pay, your comprehensive compensation/benefits package will include most of the benefits described in the USAJOBS Resource Center.
- Selection is subject to restrictions resulting from Department of Defense referral system for displaced employees.
- If you have retired from federal service and you are interested in employment as a reemployed annuitant, see the information in the Reemployed Annuitantinformation sheet.
- Multiple positions may be filled from this announcement.
- Noncompetitive promotion potential to target grade. This recruitment provides promotion opportunity to the target grade of the position without further competition when selectee is eligible and recommended by management.
Salary Range: $40,033.00 to $52,043.00 / Per Year
Series & Grade: GS-0110-07/07
Promotion Potential: 11
Supervisory Status: No
Who May Apply: Student/Internship Program Eligibles
Control Number: 452085800
Job Announcement Number: NCAT166688961814914PR