U.S. Army Corps of Engineers STUDENT TRAINEE (ADMINISTRATIVE AND OFFICE SUPPORT) in Fort Worth, Texas
U.S. Army Corps of Engineers
1 vacancy in the following location:
- Fort Worth, TX
Work Schedule is Full Time - Internships
Opened Thursday 10/13/2016 (9 day(s) ago)
** Closes Monday 10/24/2016 (2 day(s) away)
Civilian employees serve a vital role in supporting the Army mission. They provide the skills that are not readily available in the military, but crucial to support military operations. The Army integrates the talents and skills of its military and civilian members to form a Total Army.
The Department of the Army Pathways Internship Program is designed to provide students currently enrolled in a wide variety of educational institutions, from high school to graduate level, with opportunities to work and get paid while exploring federal careers through a job with the Department of the Army.
About the Position:
Position(s) will be filled under the Department of the Army Pathways Intern Program. Click here for more information on Pathways program participation. The Department of the Army Pathways Interns may be converted to a permanent position within 120 days of successful completion of the program.
This intern position is designed to prepare a student trainee for employment after graduation as a Administrative Support Assistant GS-0303-06. Interns will be assigned to one or more higher graded specialists who will assign tasks designed to increase familiarity with the target occupation, in a real world work environment.
This opportunity follows a standard promotional path:
- Internship at the GS-04 (typically college students with Sophomore or Junior standing and GS-05 (typically college students with Senior standing).
- After completion of Internship requirements, conversion to the entry-level for the target occupation. The actual grade level at the time of conversion depends on academic achievement and other factors.
See eligibility requirements for conversion to a permanent or term position in the "Other Information" section below.
Who May Apply:
Students who are eligible for participation in the Department of the Army Internship Program
Positions are open to current students pursuing a qualifying degree or certificate in an accredited high school, college (including 4-year colleges/universities, community colleges, and junior colleges); professional, technical, vocational, and trade school; advanced degree programs; or other qualifying educational institution.
As an intern, you will be assigned to a senior specialist or group of specialists. You will be assigned tasks designed to familiarize you with different aspects of the occupation. Tasks will vary depending on the senior specialist's current workload, but may include the following:
- Using automation equipment, such as a computer, copy machine, fax machine, and printer, to produce a wide variety of the following materials: correspondence, technical reports, graphics, calendars and charts, and time and attendance
- Entering data using word processing and database management software using complex graphics and tables
- Preparing final copies of materials from rough drafts using correct grammar and punctuation
- Providing administrative support to the office by performing various clerical tasks
- Maintaining the files and records system and respond to in-person and telephonic inquiries
- Recording daily time and attendance and labor cost information for office personnel
- Requisitioning office supplies and equipment.
- Not Required
- Internship for current students in good standing at an accredited education
The ideal candidate for this internship is enrolled as a Sophomore or Junior in a baccalaureate program and has declared a major directly related to Business Administration. The ideal candidate will have excellent grades and proficiency in office automation tools. Strong candidates will have academic experiences which include preparing presentation materials such as Powerpoint slides, writing reports, and public speaking.
To qualify for a Pathways Internship at the GS-04, students must have completed two full academic years of post-high school study, or have an associate's degree. Two full academic years is the number of credit hours determined by the college, university, or school to represent two years of full-time study.
This is a student internship opportunity. Your transcripts are a required part of your application. Additional information about transcripts is in this document.
Click here for more information.
Male applicants born after December 31, 1959 must complete a Pre-Employment Certification Statement for Selective Service Registration.
You will be required to provide proof of U.S. Citizenship at the time of your conversion to permanent employment.
Two year trial/probationary period may be required.
Direct Deposit of Pay is Required.
What To Expect Next
Once the application process is complete, a review of your application will be made to ensure you meet the program requirements. Your resume, transcripts, and other supporting documents will be reviewed and compared to your responses to the online questionnaire. Eligible applicants will be placed into the ideal, strong, and eligible categories.
Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your rating.
To check the status of your application or return to a previous or incomplete application, log into your USAJOBS account, select My Applications, and click on the more information link under the application status for this position.
For questions regarding the status of your application, eligibility or qualifications determination contact: USARMY.APG.CHRA-NE.MBX.APPLICANTHELP@MAIL.MIL
Department of the Army Pathways Interns receive many of the same benefits as permanent civil service employees. The Department of Defense offers excellent benefits programs some of which may include:
- Comprehensive health and life insurance(length of employment and time in pay status conditions apply for interns)
- Competitive salaries
- Generous retirement programs (interns are eligible to participate in retirement programs after conversion to permanent or Term employment)
- Paid holidays, sick leave, and vacation time
- Flexible work environment
- Paid employment-related training and education
- Possible student loan repayment
- Payment of licenses, certification, and academic degrees as applicable
- Bonuses, incentives, and awards as appropriate for the job.
Eligibility requirements for conversion to a permanent position. Interns must:
- Be a U.S. Citizen
- Complete at least 640 hours of work experience acquired through the Internship Program;
- Complete their degree or certificate requirements
- Meet the Office of Personnel Management's qualification standard, including any applicable positive education requirement and/or selective placement factors and any other designated special qualifications requirements and conditions of employment (e.g. medical standards) appropriate for the specific competitive service position to which the Intern will be converted;
- Successfully complete all the requirements of the Internship Program as defined in the agency-participant agreement; and,
- Perform their job successfully as documented through performance evaluations and/or completion of an Individual Development Plan (IDP)
Multiple positions may be filled from this announcement.
Salary Range: $30,576.00 to $39,748.00 / Per Year
Series & Grade: GS-0399-04/04
Promotion Potential: 05
Supervisory Status: No
Who May Apply: United States Citizens
Control Number: 453064000
Job Announcement Number: SWHB166945281821682PI