Dow Chemical Senior Pilot Plant Technologist in Freeport, Texas
Dow Oil, Gas & Mining (DOG&M)has an exciting opportunity for a Medium PressureSenior Pilot Plant Technologistwithin our R&D team inFreeport, TX.
DOG&M is a highly profitable, fast-paced, market facing business that combines customized chemistries, engineering solutions, technologies and R&D capabilities to improve the performance of upstream and downstream processes. The downstream segment, Refining and Gas Processing (R&P), leads the industry in acid gas removal solutions for natural gas, refining, ammonia, syngas, and gasification processes. Our extensive and proven product lines include UCARSOL™, SELEXOL™, SulFerox™, NORKOOL™, DESITHERM™, AMBITROL™, UCARTHERM™, SYLTHERM™, and DOWTHERM™.
Critical to DOG&M success are the customer focus and innovative solutions that we bring to the R&P market through both technical service and R&D support. An integral part of the capabilities of the group is the Medium Pressure Pilot Plant (MPPP). The MPPP is designed to simulate customer unit operations in the gas sweetening / acid gas removal process, and is used by the R&D and Technical Service teams to provide reliable experimental data that is representative of real process conditions in amine units in natural gas plants and refineries. The data is used for troubleshooting, development of new products, competitive assessment of solvent chemistries, and generation of operational data to assist in engineering design.
• Primary objective: Operation, maintenance, troubleshooting, and development of a medium-pressure pilot plant in the field of gas sweetening.
• Secondary objective: Provide flexibility to support R&D projects, as needed. Opportunities may include process development for new products, in addition to some analytical support.
• Own, operate and maintain the Medium Pressure Pilot Plant. Perform day to day activities in collaboration with R&D and Technical Service professionals including solvent performance evaluation, benchmarking, process optimization, and data generation in support of new product development through use of New Process and Product Introduction (NPI) stage-gate methodology, the scientific method, most effective technology, and teamwork.
• Operate heavy process equipment to obtain process and product data with minimal supervision.
• Partner with R&D and Technical Service Engineers to make design improvements to the pilot plant.
• Operate and maintain instrumentation including, but not limited to:
o Online analyzers for the pilot plant (Gas chromatography)
o Gas regulators and handling of toxic gas (H2S, mercaptans, COS, etc…)
o Piping, including pneumatic controls (manual and electronic), and Swagelok fittings
o Familiarization with Camile and Siemen’s control systems
• Actively engage in communications within a fast-paced organization, including the analytical laboratory, R&D professionals, and leadership staff.
• Use computer software to plan, analyze, and evaluate lab experiments and data utilizing Excel, Nautilus LIMS, Word, PowerPoint, and available research software.
• Perform laboratory chemical waste handling and packaging.
• Support the commissioning and start-up of new process equipment, including method development, hazard analysis, and change management.
• Train new technicians in experimental procedures and techniques where needed.
• Communicate results through oral and written research reports, data presentations, and direct interaction with chemists, engineers and leadership.
• Commit to safety and work to build strong safety culture in all office, laboratory and related activities.
• Proficiency in Microsoft applications, such as Word and Excel, and have the ability to learn new systems quickly.
• Strong written and verbal communication skills.
• Good interpersonal skills are required.
• Must have strong multi-tasking, problem solving and time management skills.
• Demonstrate leadership skills - inspire others and lead them through influence.
• A self-starter who can identify, prioritize and accomplish multiple tasks.
• Strong, safety focus.
• Ability to perform light lab work including moving moderate sized lab instrumentation, gas cylinders, drums and chemical inventories.
• Willingness to work in a fast paced research laboratory setting.
• Ability to work successfully on cross-functional team and develop strong rapport with DOG&M commercial and R&D functions to deliver on global growth objectives.
• Ability to manage multiple tasks and have a sense of prioritization based on value and efficiency.
• Ability to work independently with high level of demonstrated project execution.
• Experience writing and documenting key learning and reports and exposure to MOC system (or similar).
• A minimum requirement for this U.S. based position is the ability to work legally in the United States. No visa sponsorship/support is available for this position, including for any type of U.S. permanent residency (green card) process.
• Experience with heavy process equipment.
• Background in pilot plant operation highly preferred.
• Experience with amines chemistry, downstream products, gas treating, natural gas, or refining highly preferred.
• Experience with GC (Gas chromatography ) equipment is desirable.
• Prior customer experience or external lab is an asset.
• A minimum of an Associates degree or higher in a Science field of study, preference for Chemistry or Chemical Engineering.
• Or, High school Diploma / GED and 4 or more years of military experience/training in a Science field of study.
The Dow Chemical Company does not offer relocation if the position is offered to someone who lives outside the area or reimbursement for travel to and from interviews. If you consider a position that is not within the area you reside you will be responsible for all cost that incur.
Dow (NYSE: DOW)*combines the power of science and technology to passionately innovate what is essential to human progress. The Company is driving innovations that extract value from material, polymer, chemical and biological science to help address many of the world's most challenging problems such as the need for clean water, clean energy generation and conservation, and increasing agricultural productivity. Dow's integrated, market-driven, industry-leading portfolio of specialty chemical, advanced materials, agrosciences and plastics businesses delivers a broad range of technology-based products and solutions to customers in approximately 180 countries and in high-growth sectors such as packaging, electronics, water, coatings and agriculture. In 2015, Dow had annual sales of nearly $49 billion and employed approximately 49,500 people worldwide. The Company's more than 6,000 product families are manufactured at 179 sites in 35 countries across the globe. On June 1, 2016, Dow became the 100 percent owner of Dow Corning Corporation’s silicones business, a global company with sales of greater than $4.5 billion in 2015, 25 manufacturing sites in 9 countries and approximately 10,000 employees worldwide. References to "Dow" or the "Company" mean The Dow Chemical Company and its consolidated subsidiaries unless otherwise expressly noted. More information about Dow can be found at: www.dow.com.
As part of our dedication to the diversity of our workforce, Dow is committed to Equal Employment Opportunity without regard for race, color, national origin, ethnicity, gender, protected veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, or religion. We are also committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at: http://www.dow.com/en-us/contact-us, you may call us at 1 800-523-3945 and select Option 1, or send a facsimile request to 1 989-636-3674.
• Competitive salaries and comprehensive benefits.
• An annual variable pay program that rewards team and individual performance while sharing success across the company.
• Employee stock ownership - and the commitment to long-term success that it brings.
• On-going learning opportunities within a diverse, inclusive and rewarding work environment.
• Career experiences that can span different Dow businesses and functions with opportunities for personal and professional growth.
• The chance to work within a global company and interact with colleagues from around the world.
• Opportunities that spark your imagination and ignite your passion to help others.
• Dow is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.
Senior Pilot Plant Technologist