GameStop Buyer, Toy, Collectibles, and Specialty in Grapevine, Texas
Working under general supervision, the Toy, Collectibles, and Specialty Buyer manages the merchandising team with the purchase, promotion and distribution of GameStop products related to toys, collectibles, and specialty items. Toy buyers assess and purchase toys for retail sale. Associates in the role decide which toys make it to the shelves of stores. The position is responsible for high financial impact categories, especially during the winter selling season.The principal business outcome for this position is profitable sales through product assortment, product availability, and competitive pricing. Associate will interact with his or her supervisor as needed by either. Most activities are completed without a supervisor’s advance approval. Some non-routine activities will require leadership’s advance approval.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES*
- Manage high-volume of toys, collectibles, and specialty item accounts, with purchasing responsibilities
- Own sales and buyer and seller engagement goals for the toys, collectibles, and specialty items categories
- Interface with department leadership, vendors, and GME internal departments
- Develop and execute strategic plans with vendors
- Be familiar with and attend the major and regional toy shows
- Provide consumer-facing strategy for Toys businesses to the leadership team
- Assess the market opportunity and determine the unique position for GameStop in this space
- Drive the implementation of strategies and tactics that optimize financial performance and buyer experience for the toys businesses.
- Drive merchandising and develop inventory assortments for toys that support the needs of the customer and the financial objectives of the division
- Lead the analysis of market data, industry dynamics, local market intelligence, product trends, customer shopping trends, and the competitive landscape to assess growth opportunities and site enhancements
- Escalate and resolve merchandising issues and balance inventories in the area of responsibility by utilizing financial data to pull key merchandising and operational reports. Interpreting data, develop action plans, and execute
- Manage open to buy/ maintain margin targets/ adhere to and maintain Company inventory levels/meet GMROI metrics for the department and individual metrics/ meet company sales objectives
- Respond and/or route store inquires and requests in a timely manner
- Ensure that all vendor relationships and transactions conform to GameStop’s standards of conduct and ethical requirements
- Manage relationships in a manner acceptable to others and to the organization; adhere consistently with all organizational policies related to our respectful workplace
- Demonstrate a consistent commitment to field-focused service by prioritizing field-based requests, responding quickly and favorably to field-based feedback, by minimizing tasks, and proactively seeking ways to help store teams focus on customer service as productively as possible
- Work collaboratively with others within and outside of his or her function to achieve goals, simply processes, reduce costs, prevent loss, and to ensure that work is completed safely, accurately, and on time
- Model the high level of customer service expected of all GameStop associates including, but not limited to, responding to voice mails and emails within organizationally defined timeframes, completing projects as committed, responding to others’ feedback appropriately, and making optimal use of organizationally limited resources by offering assistance to other functional teams when appropriate
- Model team commitment by adhering to the team's expectations and guidelines; fulfilling team responsibilities; and demonstrating personal commitment to the team by being cooperative, collaborative, and flexible
- Building Strategic Relationships — developing and using collaborative relationships to facilitate the accomplishment of work goals.
- Technical / Professional Knowledge and Skills — having achieved a satisfactory level of technical and professional skill or knowledge in position-related areas; keeping up with current developments and trends in areas of expertise.
- Adaptability — maintaining effectiveness when experiencing changes in work responsibilities or environment; adjusting effectively to work within new work structures, processes, requirements, or cultures.
- Business and Analytical Acumen - Using product and industry information to understand and improve business results; understanding major business functions, industry trends, and GameStop’s position to contribute to effective business strategies and tactics.
BASIC AND PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS (EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE)
- Bachelor’s degree in business administration, marketing, merchandising, or related field from an accredited program required; additional education in retail merchandising, buying, marketing, and business analytics preferred
- At least 4 years of retail buying experience required; closely related work experience may be used as a substitute
- Merchandising, marketing, or product management in the toy industry preferred
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS, JOB SKILLS, ABILITIES
- Proficient written/verbal communication and presentation skills using spoken English — bilingual (English/Spanish) preferred
- Proficient ability to meet demanding, evolving and potentially overlapping deadlines through proficient contingency planning
- Ability to work collaboratively with others; conducts working relationships in a manner acceptable to others and to the organization
- Possess the learning capacity to receive and apply cross-functional training; willingness to assist other functions and work groups as needed so the department achieves or exceeds its overall business objectives
- Proficient project planning skills, including the ability to organize, prioritize and control job responsibilities in order to meet deadlines in an environment with overlapping and potentially conflicting priorities
- Possess proficient analytical, problem solving and decision making skills
- Ability to assertively solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists
- Demonstrated capacity for gathering and scrutinizing data to identify issues, opportunities, patterns, and sustainable business solutions
- Proficient knowledge of employee development: talent assessment, competency-based development, motivation and reward
- Ability to effectively coach, develop, retain, train, hire, and redirect others in order to bring out the best in others
- Accountable for direct supervision of the work activities of others.
- Planning, monitoring and reviewing work of subordinates is required. This may include direct supervision of a shift or the coordination of multiple work groups.
- Makes recommendations concerning selection, termination, performance appraisal and professional development.
- Proficient knowledge of Microsoft Office software programs, especially Outlook, Excel and Word
- Proficient knowledge of video gaming platforms and hot titles
- Proficient relationship building skills, including the capacity to predict and manage behavior, build and leverage cross-functional partnerships within and outside of the organization, and leverage influential leadership
- Basic presentation skills to effectively present information to an audience of varying responsibility within the company
- Ability to remain flexible and adapt to changing priorities with promptness, efficiency and ease
- Consistently demonstrates a commitment to GameStop policies and procedures, including but not limited to, attendance, confidentiality, conflict of interest and ethical responsibilities.