GameStop System Engineer - Linux in Grapevine, Texas
Working with general supervision, the Systems Engineer is responsible for planning, deployment, administration and support of Corporate and Web-facing server systems and applications in an enterprise environment. This position interacts with a manager several times a week, perhaps daily, to receive guidance and feedback. Many non-routine activities will require manager’s advanced approval.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES*
• Provision and deploy physical and virtual server systems according to defined best practices.
• Act as primary subject matter expert for Linux based systems.
• Mentor other staff members on Linux based technologies.
• Perform all maintenance on Linux systems and oversee lifecycle management of these servers.
• Troubleshoot and support 24x7 server-based corporate operations such as corporate web sites, (S) FTP sites, Email systems, ERP systems, Logistics systems, etc.
• Troubleshoot and support 24x7 large-scale server-based web operations such as ImpulseDriven.com, GameStop.com and GameInformer.com utilizing technologies including load balancers, database clustering, .
• Define and coordinate LAN/WAN requirements/implementation with Network Staff to facilitate server and application operation for corporate and internet systems.
• Work with other team members in Operations, QA, Network, Development and Database administration to plan the deployment of software releases and continuously improve the infrastructure configuration process.
• Partner with the software architecture organization to evaluate and deploy technologies that best meet the needs of the business.
• Automate systems monitoring tasks using standard monitoring tools.
• Author internal documentation, such as environment diagrams, installation/configuration documents and release notes.
• Define, collect, and report operational metrics & KPI’s to insure infrastructure and application harmony.
• Evaluate and enforce pre-production operational readiness to insure predictable stability in production deployments.
• Dynamic participant in daily incident resolution and liaison between Service Desk/Operations and Engineering team.
• Perform daily management, monitoring and administration of Linux/Unix systems, Windows Servers, Microsoft BackOffice, and Microsoft/JBOSS applications.
• Perform daily management, monitoring and administration of GameStop web properties tools/applications (Endeca, Repliweb, Tridion, Lyris, Tibco, Vantage (Gomez), etc.).
• Continuous Improvement – Originates action to improve existing conditions and processes; uses appropriate methods to identify opportunities, implement solutions, and measure impact.
• Contributing to Team Success – Actively participates as a member of a team to move the team toward the completion of goals.
• Collaboration - Working effectively and cooperatively with others; establishing and maintaining good working relationships.
• Technical/Professional Knowledge and Skills – Having achieved a satisfactory level of technical and professional skill or knowledge in position-related areas; keeps up with current developments and trends in areas of expertise.
BASIC AND PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS (EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE)
• Associates degree from an accredited program in Information Technology, Computer Science, Industrial Engineering, or equivalent technical training in related technologies required Bachelor’s degree preferred
• At least 3 years of experience installing, tuning and troubleshooting Windows Server 2K/2K3/2K8 and Linux/Unix systems in a high volume enterprise environment
• Must be available to work after hours and weekends occasionally
• Must be able to participate in a “on-call” rotation and accept calls after hours and on weekends in order to respond to the needs of a 24x7 support environment
• Must be able to lift at least 50 pounds
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS, JOB SKILLS, ABILITIES
• Proficient knowledge of Linux Operating systems including Red Hat 5 and Red Hat 6.
• Proficient knowledge and ability to perform Unix/Linux administration via scripting with Unix shell and PERL
• Proficient knowledge of Windows Server technologies (Active Directory, DNS, DHCP, Group Policy Management, DFS, TCP/IP, Clustering, PKI)
• Proficient ability to work with third party web server management tools (ex. content replication tools, performance testing and analysis)
• Working knowledge of Windows SQL technologies
• Proficient knowledge installing, configuring and tuning Java applications such as JBoss, WebLogic or WebSphere
• Proficient knowledge and ability to support Unix/Linux systems hosting high volume Oracle databases
• Proficient knowledge and ability to implement health monitoring of systems and integrate with an enterprise monitoring platform
• Demonstrated ability with handling complex and demanding situations
• Proficient ability to communicate effectively with others using spoken and written English
• Proficient project planning skills, including the ability to organize, prioritize and control job responsibilities in order to meet deadlines in an environment with overlapping and potentially conflicting priorities
• Ability to tackle projects and perform quality work with minimal supervision
• Ability to learn new technologies on the fly and absorb knowledge quickly
• Working ability to remain effective under stress, and respond to pressure in a manner acceptable to others and to the organization
• Consistently demonstrates a commitment to GameStop policies and procedures, including but not limited to, attendance, confidentiality, conflict of interest, and ethical responsibilities