Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration Supervisory Accountant in Harlingen, Texas
Vacancy Identification Number (VIN):1994482
OUR MISSION: To fulfill President Lincoln's promise "To care for him who shall have borne the battle, and for his widow, and his orphan" by serving and honoring the men and women who are America's Veterans. How would you like to become a part of a team providing compassionate care to Veterans?
VA*TEXAS VALLEY COASTAL BEND HEALTH CARE SYSTEM*
The VATVCBHCS is comprised of the Corpus Christi Outpatient Clinic (CCOPC), Corpus Christi Specialty Clinic (CCSC), Harlingen Outpatient Clinic (HOPC), Health Care Center at Harlingen (HCC), Laredo Outpatient Clinic (LOPC), and McAllen Outpatient Clinic (MCOPC). The VATVCBHCS is a virtual health care system providing secondary and tertiary health care in medicine, surgery, psychiatry, and rehabilitation medicine. The VATVCBHCS also operates a 100-patient Home Based Primary Care program and a 200-patient Care Coordination Home Tele-Health Program. Through the utilization of 2 complex inpatient/emergency department contracts, approximately 1600 inpatient admission and 1200 ER visits are managed by VATVCBHCS. Affiliated with the University of Texas Regional Academic Health Campus, the system has an active ambulatory care program and serves as a teaching and training site for medical residents. The VATVCBHCS is responsible for an enrollee population of over 30,000 veterans and 25,000 outpatient visits annually.
Special Employment Consideration: VA encourages persons with disabilities to apply, including those eligible for hiring under 5 CFR 213.3102(u), Schedule A, Appointment of persons with disabilities [i.e., intellectual disabilities, severe physical disabilities, or psychiatric disabilities], and/or Disabled veterans with a compensable service-connected disability of 30% or more. Contact the Agency Contact on the last page of the JOA for information on how to apply under this appointment authority via the Selective Placement Coordinator.
For more information on the "Who may apply" eligibility requirements, please refer to the OHRM Status Candidates and Other Candidate Definitionsdocument.
As a Supervisory Accountant for the VA Texas Valley Coastal Bend Health Care System (VATVCBHCS), you will serve as the technical advisor to the Fiscal Officer and will be directly responsible for the administration of all accounting and payment activities of the Health Care System. The incumbent is the Supervisory Accountant, Fiscal Service, and as such, has responsibility for the overall operation, training, and production of Accounting, Voucher Auditing and Travel for their assigned functional activities. He/She is involved in the formulation, development, preparation and execution of the Annual Budget Plan and in administration of the Health Care System Financial Management Program.
Other duties include, but are not limited to:
- Interprets objectives and develops procedures to obtain objectives.
- Interprets regulations, rules, and policies.
- Supervises daily operations of the accounting section and as such, assures the proper documentation and entry of accounting transactions.
- Analyzes accounting problems and requirements.
- Administers an accounting system designed to track, reconcile, and report on agency-administered programs and/or appropriations for which the agency has legislative oversight responsibility.
- Ensures open, and good communication between all staff members in the teams, and effective handover of tasks.
- Provides continuous coaching, training and assistance to the team members, monitoring performance against the organization's target goals.
- Ensures quality of work performed by direct reports in areas of responsibility.
- Identifies/implements cost effective approaches to integrate technology into the workplace and improves work processes.
- Identifies problems or potential problems within the service that impact the ability to provide good customer service and/or quality care, and makes recommendations for corrective actions.
- Communicates directly, and on behalf of the Service with program managers, executives, external review boards, Veteran and political organizations, and other on matters related to Veterans access, and or programmatic initiatives
Work Schedule:Monday Friday, 08:00 a.m. 4:30 p.m.*Position Description Title/PD#:Supervisory, Accountant, PD# 740-0266-0 *
Non-Bargaining Position **
- Not Required
Who May Apply
This job is open to…
Agency Employees Only
Questions? This job is open to 1 group.
- You must be a U.S. citizen to apply for this job.
- Subject to a background/suitability investigation.
- Designated and/or random drug testing may be required.
- [time in grade requirement may be added]
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959.
To qualify for this position, applicants must meet all requirements by the closing date of this announcement Sunday, August 27, 2017.
Basic Requirements: A. Degree: accounting; or a degree in a related field such as business administration, finance, or public administration that included or was supplemented by 24 semester hours in accounting. The 24 hours may include up to 6 hours of credit in business law. (The term "accounting" means "accounting and/or auditing" in this standard. Similarly, "accountant" should be interpreted, generally, as "accountant and/or auditor.")
B. Combination of education and experience -- at least 4 years of experience in accounting, or an equivalent combination of accounting experience, college-level education, and training that provided professional accounting knowledge. The applicant's background must also include one of the following:
1) Twenty-four semester hours in accounting or auditing courses of appropriate type and quality. This can include up to 6 hours of business law;
2) A certificate as Certified Public Accountant or a Certified Internal Auditor, obtained through written examination; or
3) Completion of the requirements for a degree that included substantial course work in accounting or auditing, e.g., 15 semester hours, but that does not fully satisfy the 24-semester-hour requirement of paragraph A, provided that (a) the applicant has successfully worked at the full-performance level in accounting, auditing, or a related field, e.g., valuation engineering or financial institution examining; (b) a panel of at least two higher level professional accountants or auditors has determined that the applicant has demonstrated a good knowledge of accounting and of related and underlying fields that equals in breadth, depth, currency, and level of advancement that which is normally associated with successful completion of the 4-year course of study described in paragraph A; and (c) except for literal nonconformance to the requirement of 24 semester hours in accounting, the applicant's education, training, and experience fully meet the specified requirements.
GS-12 Specialized Experience: Applicants must have One year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the next lower grade (GS-11) in the normal line of progression for the occupation in the organization. Examples of specialized experience would typically include, but are not limited to: in addition to the experience above, would include: knowledge of accounting principles, theories concepts and practices as well as related financial accounting regulations, policies and procedures; knowledge of the automated accounting systems, local procedures and management reports is required to review regulatory status reports and to provide advice to supervisors and accountants in the design or modification of new or changed reports; ability to provide technical and administrative supervision to subordinate staff.
There is no educational substitution for the GS-12 level.
If you are referred for consideration, you may be asked to submit additional job related information, which may include, but not limited to; responses to the knowledge, skills and abilities; completion of a work sample, and/or contact for an interview.
IN DESCRIBING YOUR EXPERIENCE, PLEASE BE CLEAR AND SPECIFIC. WE WILL NOT MAKE ASSUMPTIONS REGARDING YOUR EXPERIENCE. If your resume/application does not support your questionnaire answers, we will not allow credit for your response(s).
PLEASE NOTE: Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications (particularly positions with a positive education requirement.) Therefore, applicants must report only attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. Applicants can verify accreditation at the following website: http://www.ed.gov/admins/finaid/accred/index.html All education claimed by applicants will be verified by the appointing agency accordingly. If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education.
Physical Requirements:The work is primarily sedentary, but may require some light lifting, bending and stooping in maintenance of office files. Light Lifting (under 15 pounds); Light Carrying (under 15 pounds); Reaching above shoulder; Use of fingers; Walking (up to 1 hour); Standing (up to 1 hour); Hearing (aid permitted).
Time-in-grade: Applicants who are current Federal employees and have held a GS grade any time in the past 52 weeks must also meet time-in-grade requirements. For a GS-12 position you must have served 52 weeks at the GS-11 level.
Public Trust - Background Investigation
What To Expect Next
After we receive application packages (including all required documents) and the vacancy announcement closes, we will review applications to ensure qualification and eligibility requirements are met. During our review, if your résumé and application package do not support your questionnaire answers, we will adjust your rating accordingly. After the review is complete, a referral certificate(s) is issued and applicants will be notified of their status by email (if provided); otherwise, applicants will receive a notification letter via the U.S. Postal Service. Referred applicants will be notified as such and may be contacted directly by the hiring office for an interview. All referred applicants receive a final notification once a selection decision has been made.
You may check the status of your application at any time by logging into your USAJOBS account and clicking on Application Status. For a more detailed update of your status, click on more information. Information regarding applicant notification points can be found in the USAJobs Resource Center.
VA offers a comprehensive benefits package. This link provides an overview of the benefits currently offered: http://www.vacareers.va.gov/why-choose-va/benefits/index.asp.
VA supports the use of telework as a way to help attract and retain talented individuals in public service, increase worker productivity, and better prepare the agency to operate during emergencies. This position may be authorized for telework. Telework eligibility will be discussed during the interview process.
The Interagency Career Transition Assistance Plan (ICTAP) and Career Transition Assistance Plan CTAP)provide eligible displaced Federal competitive service employees with selection priority over other candidates for competitive service vacancies. To be qualified you must submit appropriate documentation and be found well-qualified (have a final rating of 85 or more before any Veterans preference points) for this vacancy. Information about ICTAP and CTAP eligibility is on OPM's Career Transition Resources website.
Receiving Service Credit for Earning Annual (Vacation) Leave : Federal Employees earn annual leave at a rate (4, 6 or 8 hours per pay period) which is based on the number of years they have served as a Federal employee. VA may offer newly-appointed Federal employee's credit for their job-related non-federal experience or active duty uniformed military service. This credited service can be used in determining the rate at which they earn annual leave. Such credit must be requested and approved prior to the appointment date and is not guaranteed.
Placement Policy: The posting of this announcement does not obligate management to fill a vacancy or vacancies by promotion. The position may be filled by reassignment, change to lower grade, transfer, appointment, or reinstatement. Management may use any one or any combination of these methods to fill the position.
It is the policy of the VA to not deny employment to those that have faced financial hardships or periods of unemployment.
This job opportunity announcement may be used to fill additional vacancies.
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/476868000. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.
Open & closing dates: 2017-08-12 to 2017-08-27
Salary: $72,168 to $91,415 / per year
Pay scale & grade: GS 12
Series: 0510 Accounting
Appointment type: Agency Employees Only
Work schedule: Full Time
Job announcement number: VCB-17-JRB-1994482
Control number: 476868000