University of Houston Downtown Adjunct Faculty, Safety Management in Houston, Texas
The University of Houston-Downtown is a comprehensive four-year university offering bachelor’s and selected master’s degree programs and providing strong academic and career preparation as well as life-long learning opportunities. Located in the heart of the city, the University reflects the diversity of the Greater Houston Metropolitan Area, and, through its academic programs, engages with the community to address the needs and advance the development of the region. UHD is an inclusive community dedicated to integrating teaching, service, and scholarly research to develop students’ talents and prepare them for success in a dynamic global society. UHD draws students from throughout the Greater Houston area. UHD is considered one of the most ethnically diverse liberal arts institutions in the southwest, a distinction that indicates the student body accurately reflects the Houston community’s wealth of cultures, languages and nationalities. The University offers all students a specially tailored opportunity for quality higher education, as well as small classes. UHD employs over 1,400 faculty and staff.
Since opening its doors in 1974, UHD has grown in mission and service, and now offers baccalaureate degrees in 44 areas and eight master’s degree programs. Over 14,000 students attend classes in five Colleges: Business, Humanities and Social Sciences, Public Service and Sciences and Technology, as well as University College. Approximately 2,400 students graduate each year with degrees in humanities and the arts, social sciences, business, the sciences and technology, education, criminal justice, and social work. As one of the four distinct and separate components of the University of Houston System, UHD offers educational opportunities and access to students from a variety of backgrounds, including many first-generation college students, students who work full- or part-time, students with additional family obligations, and students who transfer from community colleges and other higher education institutions. The University of Houston System is a public system of higher education that includes three other universities in addition to UHD-The University of Houston, UH-Clear Lake and UH-Victoria, as well as two teaching centers-UH System at Sugar Land and UH System at Cinco Ranch.
Notes to Applicants
- To be considered a candidate for this position an application, cover letter, curriculum vitae, unofficial transcripts and three letters of reference are required.
- This is a security sensitive position; a complete background investigation is required.
- Please send three letters of reference directly to:
- University of Houston-Downtown Attention: Edward Sheinberg One Main Street, Suite N-706 Houston Texas, 77002
- In accordance with H.B. #558, Selective Service Registration may be required. Offer of employment contingent upon verification of individual’s eligibility for employment in the United States.
- In compliance with Texas State Senate Bill (S.B.) 805, the University of Houston–Downtown is committed to providing a preference in employment to eligible veteran, disabled veteran, surviving spouse of veteran and orphan of veteran applicants who meet minimum qualifications and any special qualifications for the position to which they apply. The required preferences do not compel the University to appoint a veteran, disabled veteran, surviving spouse of a veteran or orphan of a veteran. However, they do require that those who meet the veteran preference eligibility be appointed when their application assessment, combined with the veteran’s preference, is equal to or higher than that of a non-veteran.
The University of Houston-Downtown is currently seeking an Adjunct Faculty for the Department of Computer Science and Engineering Technology beginning Fall 2016. The Adjunct Faculty is expected to teach undergraduate courses in Safety Management.
- A Master’s degree in Safety Management, or closely related field with a minimum of 18 credit hours of graduate courses in Safety Management, Occupational Safety, Fire Protection or closely related discipline.
- A Bachelor’s degree in Safety Management or closely related field with at least 10 years of industry experience.
Requisition Number: 00902
Job Title: Adjunct Faculty, Safety Management
Division: Academic & Student Affairs
College: Science & Technology
Department: Computer Science & Engineering Technology
Job Code: 1070
Full Time/Part Time: Part-time
FLSA Status: Salary
Position Number: 00300745, 00030097, 01001773, 00300462, 01015289
Security Sensitive Position: Yes
Employee Class: Faculty