University of Houston Downtown Admissions Counselor in Houston, Texas
The University of Houston-Downtown is a comprehensive four-year university offering bachelor’s and selected master’s degree programs and providing strong academic and career preparation as well as life-long learning opportunities. Located in the heart of the city, the University reflects the diversity of the Greater Houston Metropolitan Area, and, through its academic programs, engages with the community to address the needs and advance the development of the region. UHD is an inclusive community dedicated to integrating teaching, service, and scholarly research to develop students’ talents and prepare them for success in a dynamic global society. UHD draws students from throughout the Greater Houston area. UHD is considered one of the most ethnically diverse liberal arts institutions in the southwest, a distinction that indicates the student body accurately reflects the Houston community’s wealth of cultures, languages and nationalities. The University offers all students a specially tailored opportunity for quality higher education, as well as small classes. UHD employs over 1,400 faculty and staff.
Since opening its doors in 1974, UHD has grown in mission and service, and now offers baccalaureate degrees in 44 areas and eight master’s degree programs. Over 14,000 students attend classes in five Colleges: Business, Humanities and Social Sciences, Public Service and Sciences and Technology, as well as University College. Approximately 2,400 students graduate each year with degrees in humanities and the arts, social sciences, business, the sciences and technology, education, criminal justice, and social work. As one of the four distinct and separate components of the University of Houston System, UHD offers educational opportunities and access to students from a variety of backgrounds, including many first-generation college students, students who work full- or part-time, students with additional family obligations, and students who transfer from community colleges and other higher education institutions. The University of Houston System is a public system of higher education that includes three other universities in addition to UHD-The University of Houston, UH-Clear Lake and UH-Victoria, as well as two teaching centers-UH System at Sugar Land and UH System at Cinco Ranch.
Notes to Applicants
An application, resume, and cover letter is required.
This is a security sensitive position; a complete background investigation is required.
In accordance with H.B. #558, Selective Service Registration may be required.
Offer of employment contingent upon verification of individual’s eligibility for employment in the United States.
In compliance with Texas State Senate Bill (S.B.) 805, the University of Houston–Downtown is committed to providing a preference in employment to eligible veteran, disabled veteran, surviving spouse of veteran and orphan of veteran applicants who meet minimum qualifications and any special qualifications for the position to which they apply. The required preferences do not compel the University to appoint a veteran, disabled veteran, surviving spouse of a veteran or orphan of a veteran. However, they do require that those who meet the veteran preference eligibility be appointed when their application assessment, combined with the veteran’s preference, is equal to or higher than that of a non-veteran.
Summary of the Job:
The Admissions Counselor supports the enrollment efforts by providing admissions information to prospective students and recruiting for admission into the University. The Admissions Counselor will provide in depth counseling services to prospective students and provide assistance through the admissions process.
- Recruits and assists in enrolling prospective students by promoting the University and it’s academic program offerings
- Manages an assigned territory of high schools and recruitment sources to ensure a robust increase in inquiry and applicant pools from term to term
- Monitors progress of students in assigned territories towards admissions and enrollment; maintains and shares up‐to date student caseload reports and records
- Coordinates collaboratively with other colleagues to ensure that prospective students receive regular communications, counsel and support regarding admission
- Participates and collaborates in the planning of outreach activities and special events
- Counsels prospective students through the admissions process
- Represents the University at college and career fairs, conventions and student recruitment events
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Knowledge of trends, issues, and accepted practices relevant to the position
- Excellent customer service skills
- Candidates must have strong analytical and problem solving skills, as well as excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to work with a team
- Ability to effectively communicate with a wide range of individuals and constituencies in a diverse community
- Baccalaureate degree
- Minimum of one (1) year of job‐related experience
Requisition Number: 00900
Job Title: Admissions Counselor
Division: Academic & Student Affairs
College: Enrollment Management
Job Code: 2263
Full Time/Part Time: Full-time
FLSA Status: Salary
Position Number: 01012448, 01010566
Security Sensitive Position: Yes
Employee Class: Staff