Sun & Ski Manager of Merchandise Planning in Houston, Texas
About the Position
The Merchandise Planning Manager reports to the General Merchandise Manager and is responsible for quantitative support for merchandising including developing and maintaining open to buy, analytics for auto replenishment as well as spearheading efforts to raise inventory turn and GMROI. He/She will evaluate current market trends, sales-history, company marketing initiatives and the competitive landscape to build accurate pre-season demand plans and in-season sales forecasts for all stores/categories. This role will develop and execute topside merchandise and store plans, assortment/buy plans, merchandise allocation strategies, and auto replenishment programs.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Develop, execute and communicate category level merchandise plans, in collaboration with the buying team, that support the merchandising and financial objectives of the company.
- Provide financial analysis for assortment quantification that ties the merchandise buys to meet financial plans.
- Determine actions to achieve open to buy plan; develop and review exception reports; highlight problem businesses and underdeveloped opportunities.
- Analyze store inventory levels and replenishment programs. Provide recommendations to maximize sales and profitability.
- Review and adjust allocation based on current trends and past performance.
- Analyze historical data and current trends to identify opportunities and risks.
- Identify and communicate potential inventory liabilities to make markdown recommendations to maximize profitability.
- Lead projects to improve planning systems, and processes.
- Research and implement new inventory management software.
- Develop a monthly sales, stock, and receipt plan that maximizes sales and minimizes residual inventory using appropriate turn levels and stock-to-sales ratios.
- Monitor and recommend markdowns for past-season product to maximize profitability and maintain appropriate sell-through rates.
- Suggest and execute transfers and consolidations if needed to rectify imbalances.
- Develop annual bottom-up financial plans at the class or department level.
- Identify growth opportunities as well as where there is a need to exit businesses.
- Plan receipt flows to ensure sales, margin, and inventory turn targets are met.
- Collaborate with Merchandise team regarding buy strategies to support product initiatives, maximize in-stock, and maintain targeted inventory turns.
- Provide ongoing communication to the relevant teams/stakeholders regarding financial performance.
- Compile and analyze store past performance data by region/store and recommend assortment flow strategy.
- Recap weekly, monthly, quarterly performance and perform ad-hoc analyses to identify business trends and communicate opportunities & risks.
- Develop and maintain effective working relationships with members of all areas of the business (Merchandising, Marketing, Store Operations, and Finance).
- Support a collaborative, innovative, and results-oriented environment with peers.
DESIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE QUALIFICATIONS:
- Must have 3+ years' experience as a Merchandise Planner or Distributor with a medium to large size retailer, specialty retail experience is a plus.
- Expert command of retail math, exposure and understanding of cost method of accounting is a strong plus.
- Bachelor's Degree in Finance, Business, Fashion Merchandising or other related field.
- Strong organizational skills and demonstrated ability to prioritize workload.
- Strong attention to detail, with excellent organizational and communication skills.
- Self-starter who enjoys working in a fast paced, entrepreneurial, results oriented environment.
- Proven ability to build productive cross-functional relationships.
- Computer skills to include intermediate to advanced skills in Excel as well as merchandise planning system experience.
- Paid Vacations & Holidays
- Group Medical, Dental & Vision Insurance
- Pet Insurance
- Life/Accidental Death Insurance
- Long Term Disability
- Flexible Employee Benefit Plan (Cafeteria Plan)
- 401(k) Plan *
- Associate Discount *
- Company/Vendor sponsored Product Knowledge/Training Adventure trips
* Benefits available to all employees.