MD Anderson Cancer Center Sr. Research Histology Technician in Houston, Texas
Sr. Research Histology Technician
Location: United States, Texas, Houston, Houston (TX Med Ctr) at https://mdanderson.referrals.selectminds.com/jobs/5262/other-jobs-matching/location-only
Allied Health at https://mdanderson.referrals.selectminds.com/landingpages/allied-health-opportunities-at-md-anderson-cancer-center-9
Translational Molecular Path 149100
Requisition #: 109432
The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center in Houston is one of the world's most respected centers focused on cancer patient care, research, education and prevention. It was named the nation's No. 1 hospital for cancer care in U.S. News & World Report’s 2016 rankings.
It is one of only 45 comprehensive cancer centers designated by the National Cancer Institute. Since 1944, more than 1 million patients have sought out MD Anderson’s expertise.
The institution pioneered a multidisciplinary approach to research-driven care. In Fiscal Year 2015, MD Anderson invested more than $780.5 million in research
The primary purpose of the Senior Research Histology Technician position is to provide technical expertise in coordination, and performing histology and immunochemical tasks on tissue specimens for the Research Histology Core Laboratory.
· Courtesy: Is respectful and courteous to each other at all times.
· Friendliness/Teamwork: Promotes and rewards teamwork and inclusiveness; is sensitive to the concerns of our patients and our co-workers.
· Reliability: Communicates frequently, honestly and openly.
· Accountability: Holds self and others accountable for practicing our values.
· Safety: Models safe behavior (wears badge and personal protective equipment, washes hands, and keeps work area clean and orderly); Notices a safety concern or emergency, understands role and uses proper procedures to report it; Mitigates risk to the institution through sound business practices; Demonstrates ethical and personal responsibility in work and behavior
· Responsiveness: By his/her actions, creates an environment of trust; Encourages learning, creativity and new ideas.
· Personal Leadership/Self-Initiative: Helps others to identify and solve problems; Seeks personal growth and enables others to do so.
JOB SPECIFIC COMPETENCIES
Performance of Routine Histological Procedures Performs all routine histological procedures(to include frozens, micron intervals, thick sectioning, embedding, microtomy and special stains) and in house and outside research requests utilized in the Research Histology Core Lab in a proficient manner, displaying good work productivity
Technical Expertise Performs all Specialized Procedures utilized in the Histology Core Laboratory to include: IHC, TMA construction, LCM, FISH and CISH molecular pathology staining procedures. Mapping, tissue transfer and 3D image sectioning. DNASE/RNASE preparation and sectioning.
iLabs System Operation and Management 1. Operating efficiently in the iLabs chargeback system and assisting requesters in proper submission of orders in the iLabs system.
- Training histology students, assist with clinical trial requests, in developing and enforcing laboratory policies, and other specialized processes as required by projects and protocols.
Communication and Leadership 1. Excellent communication skills and friendly demeanor, assist in overseeing lab operations, work priorities and quality control when necessary.
Works independently, follows standard operating procedures and policies and uses good judgment, particularly those requiring supervisory skills.
Consults, modifies and/or develops new techniques required by various investigators involved in research activities, and adheres to and enforces laboratory policies and methodology.
Other duties as assigned
Inspire Trust - Show consistency among principles, values, and behavior; gain the confidence and trust of others.
Listen to Others - Listen to feedback and input carefully; demonstrate attention to others; acknowledge and listen to differing perspectives in a group.
Oral Communication - Express ideas clearly and concisely in groups and one-to-one conversations; create an environment with open channels of communication.
Self-Adaptability - Work in situations involving uncertainty, shifting priorities, and rapid change; deal constructively with mistakes and setbacks; demonstrate flexibility.
Team with Others - Initiate, develop, and manage relationships and networks; encourage collaboration and input from all team members; value the contributions of all team members; balance individual and team goals.
Technical/Functional Expertise - Demonstrate technical proficiency required to do the job; possess up-to-date knowledge in the profession; provide technical expertise to others.
Provide service to our customers, including patients, patient caregivers, referring physicians and each other, in a reliable, responsive, safe, friendly and courteous manner.
• Promotes inclusiveness and collegiality by demonstrating respect and professionalism to others at all times
• Models safe, ethical behavior, mitigating risk to the institution through sound business practices, and adherence to MD Anderson’s Standards of Conduct, institutional policies and procedures
• Meets time and attendance expectations and respondsto requests in a timely manner, communicating expectations for procedures, service arrival, or project deliverables to patients and coworkers
• Admits when wrong, apologize and take steps to resolve a situation to help to patients and coworkers before being asked
High school diploma or equivalent. With required education, three years of Histology Technician experience. With successsful completion of a National Accrediting Agency for Clinical Laboratory Science (NAACLS) accredited Histotechnician program, no experience is required. With Associate's degree, one year full time acceptable experience in histopathology within the last ten years under the supervision of a pathologist (certified by the American Board of Pathology in Anatomic Pathology, or eligible), or an appropriately certified medical scientist. It is the policy of The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center to provide equal employment opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or any other basis protected by institutional policy or by federal, state or local laws unless such distinction is required by law. http://www.mdanderson.org/about-us/legal-and-policy/legal-statements/eeo-affirmative-action.html