Citi Senior Operational Risk Manager in Irving, Texas
Primary Location: United States,Texas,Irving
Other Location: United States,Florida,Jacksonville
Education: Bachelor's Degree
Job Function: Risk Management
Shift: Day Job
Employee Status: Regular
Travel Time: Yes, 25 % of the Time
Job ID: 16067934
About Citi : Citi, the leading global bank, has approximately 200 million customer accounts and does business in more than 160 countries and jurisdictions. Citi provides consumers, corporations, governments and institutions with a broad range of financial products and services, including consumer banking and credit, corporate and investment banking, securities brokerage, transaction services, and wealth management. Our core activities are safeguarding assets, lending money, making payments and accessing the capital markets on behalf of our clients.
Citi’s Mission and Value Proposition at http://www.citigroup.com/citi/about/mission-and-value-proposition.html explains what we do and Citi Leadership Standards at http://www.citigroup.com/citi/about/leadership-standards.html explain how we do it. Our mission is to serve as a trusted partner to our clients by responsibly providing financial services that enable growth and economic progress. We strive to earn and maintain our clients’ and the public’s trust by constantly adhering to the highest ethical standards and making a positive impact on the communities we serve. Our Leadership Standards is a common set of skills and expected behaviors that illustrate how our employees should work every day to be successful and strengthens our ability to execute against our strategic priorities.
Diversity is a key business imperative and a source of strength at Citi. We serve clients from every walk of life, every background and every origin. Our goal is to have our workforce reflect this same diversity at all levels. Citi has made it a priority to foster a culture where the best people want to work, where individuals are promoted based on merit, where we value and demand respect for others and where opportunities to develop are widely available to all.
Provide segment and function specific expertise in order to execute effective oversight of the Business’ risk identification, assessment, monitoring and mitigation process. “Business” in this context includes Operations and Technology functions and vendors supporting or used by the P&L owners who own the Risk. The Operational Risk Manager performs the role through proactive engagement with the Business management, and through effective challenge - in formal governance forums and in day to day management processes. The objective is to ensure compliance with Citi’s Operational Risk Framework and policies as well as to meet “Heightened Standards” from Regulators for the 2nd Line of Defense. Business Operational Risk Managers also assist with the development and enhancement of the Operational Risk Framework.
Reporting to the Consumer ORM Head, this position works closely with all Direct Reports of the Consumer ORM Head and their staff, with Business and Product Managers, Business Heads, in-business Operational Risk and Control Managers, as well as Independent Risk and other control functions (Compliance, Legal, HR) in carrying out job responsibilities.
The candidate will be part of Consumer Operational Risk Management Team within the Consumer Chief Risk Officer led Independent Risk Organization. The job will be focused on leading and/or supporting strategic risk initiatives and programs across the range of responsibilities that Consumer ORM as the 2nd Line of Defense has in the implementation and oversight of Citi’s Operational Risk Management framework. This includes developing and implementing methodologies, analytics and oversight processes for execution of Framework in Consumer Businesses - working as necessary with senior management across the first and second line of defense across multiple US Businesses, International Regions as well as Reporting and Analysis functions. The goal is to focus on areas that will help us meet the “Heightened Standards” put in place for the Second Line of Defense by the Regulators.
Following are the main areas of responsibility of Consumer ORM within which this role would lead and accomplish strategic goals, help embed best practices consistently across businesses and geographies, as well as support on going activities as needed:
• Oversight of the 1st Line of Defense implementation of Citi’s Op Risk Policy and Framework in the US and regions across Consumer Businesses in GCB and Holdings.
• Development and implementation of systematic approaches to ensure consistency of Operational Risk Management framework implementation across the Business globally and work with the Regional ORM leadership team to set standards for the quality and execution of oversight by the ORM Second Line of Defense. Ability to influence and convince in order to drive change and work collaboratively with senior management in the US international regions both in Risk and Business will be a critical success factor.
• Mitigation of operational risk losses by identifying common causes of operational risk events and designing effective preventive measures. A strong understanding of linkages between the business, O&T and other front-office operations such as marketing and new product development is a must. In addition this requires the ability to work with Independent Risk and other control functions and rely on the SME’s within these functions.
• Identification and mitigation of emerging risks through risk analysis (internal and external) and communication of the learnings to Business Management in order to drive required action. This requires a broad understanding of the key features of the regulatory environment of retail consumer businesses across the world.
• Development and implementation of the analytical / data mining/ conceptual approaches necessary to establish robust assessment of Operation Risk exposure and relevant indicators in order to enhance ability to anticipate and mitigate Operational Risk losses.
• Develop effective written communication tailored to different levels of management especially senior executives and Regulators. Ability to articulate and weave a story line out of complex facts and data is a critical success factor
• Effective monitoring of the use of the Framework within the Consumer sector and the ability to link Operational Losses, risk appetite, the control environment and cost of capital in a cohesive Risk Profile of each Business or Operating Unit.
• Development and use of effectiveness and efficiency measures to evaluate the quality of deployment of all Framework tools across Consumer as well as measures of governance quality across Businesses.
• Support Scenario Analysis efforts and enhancements within Consumer ORM.
• Work experience of 7+ years in the financial services industry with deep understanding and experience of all Consumer products or related Business functions
• Knowledge of US regulatory and industry standards for full range of retail products (lending, deposits, investments) with some awareness of key environments that Consumer has a footprint in.
• Exposure to operational risk and/or internal controls is a plus.
• Leadership positions in Risk Management, Internal Audit, O&T, Compliance or related field a plus
• Strong analytical and conceptual skills
• Independent thinker and able to perform a credible challenge of the Business
• Ability to influence and convince without authority
• Ability to work collaboratively within and across functions and Lines of Defense
• Effective team player and contributor in dynamic and shifting teams as well as virtual teams
• Superior communication and interpersonal skills
• Proficient in MS Office applications necessary for executing on job responsibilities
• Good data and quantitative skills
• Superior writing skills to develop high quality policy / procedure documentation
• Executive presentation skills
• Bachelors Degree / Masters degree in Business, Finance, Accountancy, Law or any other relevant field.
• Training/Certification or experience in database/MIS management tools a plus.