Corning Project Management Engineer in Keller, Texas
Corning is the world leader in specialty glass and ceramics, creating and manufacturing keystone components that enable high-technology systems.
Corning’s history is filled with breakthrough technologies that have played an important role in the way the world works. We thrive on solving difficult, commercially relevant problems through an innovative and collaborative research and development process. Corning succeeds through sustained investment in R&D;, more than 160 years of materials science and process engineering knowledge, and a distinctive collaborative culture.
With more than 160 years of science and engineering knowledge, Corning Incorporated creates keystone components for high-technology systems in consumer electronics, mobile emissions control and life sciences. Our Optical Communications segment delivers connectivity to every edge of the network, from optical fiber, cable, hardware and equipment to fully-optimized optical solutions.
What we do is life changing. Our innovations help customers keep pace with the world’s insatiable demand for bandwidth, accelerating the delivery of information and keeping the world connected to the important people, places and things that enhance our lives.
To know more about Corning Optical Communications, visit us at: http://www.corning.com/cablesystems
Scope of Position:
Project focus will be implementation of automation and process machine systems, capacity expansions, new product introductions and cost reduction projects in OCS manufacturing plants.
Workstream leader for engineering and manufacturing projects and/or member of cross-functional project teams from project concept generation, approval and development, detail design / build, system integration and production start-up in manufacturing
Day to Day Responsibilities:
- Assigned to lead or play a key technical role on engineering project teams that are responsible to deliver robust, cost effective process machine and automation systems, cost reduction projects and/or new products to OCS manufacturing plants.
- Work with project team members to provide feedback and guidance to product designers on Design for Manufacturability, solve complex process equipment related problems, resolve project related issues, and develop fundamental understanding of process.
- Interfaces with manufacturing and technology team members to understand and document project requirements. Ensure results meet the internal and external customer’s requirements and standards.
- Ensures definition and documentation of process and machine design specifications, develops mechanical design concepts, follows construction of prototype and production process equipment, conducts proof of concept tests, collects and evaluates data, and make appropriate engineering decisions on final documentation of process and equipment.
- Interface with external equipment builders, contract engineers, and suppliers to specify and successfully deliver fully integrated process machine systems to their internal customers on time, on-budget, and in satisfaction of process performance measures.
- Prepares or directs the generation of construction drawings, installation drawings, and ensures that final drawing packages reflect as-built conditions and satisfies Corning drawing standards.
- Actively participates in system integration /debug, installation, and production start-up.
- Report on project activities on a pre-determined basis.
- Maintain records and track expenditures against allocated funds. Estimate time required to accomplish tasks and monitor performance against schedules.
- Perform cost benefit analysis to support project feasibility and prioritization for divisional project
- Be an advocate for safety within their area of responsibility. Ensure proper safety protocols are followed during all phases of the projects.
- Ensure junior project engineers receive adequate direction and mentoring to build capabilities
Estimate at 20-30%, however this will vary based on individual projects and location. Some international travel required, primarily to Europe.
Hours of work/work schedule/flex-time:
Full time position, work week could exceed 40 hours during heavy load periods of projects.
Job Title: Project Management Engineer
Reference #: 182533
- BS or MS in Mechanical or Electrical Engineering or similar technical engineering discipline.
Required Years and Area of Experience:
- 7 years experience in technology, engineering or manufacturing.
- Experience developing and releasing new processes and equipment in manufacturing.
- High level of technical curiosity that will enable unique solutions to the technical challenges incumbent in the position.
- Strong ability to organize efforts to troubleshoot and resolve complex process problems.
- Strong fundamental understanding of mechanical design practices, automation, robotics, material handling, and system integration including development of process machine /system design specifications, and proof of principle testing. ( Design equip and process that are robust)
- Demonstrated ability to effectively leverage and manage external machine builders and system integrators for detail design, build, and integration of later stages of machine system implementation.
- Experience evaluating processes and mechanical designs for reliability and capability in manufacturing.
- Ability to work in a team based environment and participate on a highly matrixed project team.
- Self-starter who is able to satisfy their objectives and timelines with a minimal amount of supervision.
- Ability to execute required hands-on tasks when required
- Prior experience moving a new product / manufacturing process from development into manufacturing
- Ability to lead small to medium size technical project teams through different phases of a project.
- Experience with global manufacturing systems and requirements
- Strategic Mindset. Forward looking; ability to communicate the future vision to project team members
- Assist program and project managers with forecasting capital, expense and resource requirements
- Knowledge of multiple manufacturing technologies and processes
- Experience with use of standard computer modeling and analysis software packages used in design of mechanical systems.
- Knowledge of precision engineering principles
- Experience with manufacturing and facility capacity expansions
- Experience designing systems for deployment in multiple manufacturing environments
- Familiar with industrial equipment and Corning safety standards.
- Strong communication skills
- Ability to work on a diverse project team and lead project teams with members in multiple global locations.
- Ability to effectively deal with high levels of uncertainty, ambiguity, and change
EOE/AA including Veterans and Disabled.