Rose International INC Controller - Accounting in Plano, Texas
Position Title: Controller - Accounting
Position Number: 261553
Location: Plano, TX
Desired Skill Set:
Accounting, Insurance, SOX
“U.S. Citizens and those authorized to work in the U.S. are encouraged to apply. We are unable to sponsor or consider Corp 2 Corp candidates. SOX,INSURANCE,ACCOUNTING”
Title : Sr. Accounting & Reporting Supervisor
Duration: 3 months+
Location: Plano, TX
This position oversees the Client accounting team to ensure accurate preparation of financial information and reports, timely completion of period close process and review of account reconciliations. This position supports business partners by providing accurate accounting information to enable sound decisions and drive management actions. The supervisor also coordinates responses to internal/external audit requirements.
B. Job Functions / Accountabilities
Essential Job Functions / Accountabilities
% of Time Spent
- Supervise staff in the completion of accounting activities for Client
• Oversee parencompany accounting activities related to Client including oversight of monthly general ledger close process.
• Develop and communicate to various accounting groups the month-end close schedule for insurance operations. Coordinate closing activities with each accounting group within insurance operations and with parent company to ensure that reporting deadlines are met.
• Ensure the timely and accurate recording of Client business operations in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles. Specific responsibilities include:
• Evaluate the accuracy and reasonableness of financial information generated by internal operational systems and by external business partners.
• Review month-end journal entries and various analyses for proper completion and appropriate supporting documentation.
• Verify that balances reflected in the financial statements are accurate and reasonable for each type of business reported.
• Independently monitor, evaluate, and analyze the accuracy and reasonableness of general and administrative expenses.
• Ensure that intercompany activity between Client and other Client entities is recorded and reconciled accurately and timely and that cash settlements are initiated as scheduled.
• Analyze monthly, quarterly, and annual financial performance. Prepare and distribute various financial reports and analyses to support management decision-making. As business needs continue to evolve, take a lead role in developing, implementing, and reporting more meaningful business measures for the insurance entities.
• Maintain current chart of accounts for the three separate companies within insurance operations.
- Supervise staff in the completion of quarterly and fiscal year reporting and financial statements for Client:
• Guide and direct staff in the performance of daily, quarterly, and annual accounting and reporting activities. This includes:
• Perform the appropriate review of work completed by staff to ensure accurate representation of Client activity in the general ledger, reconciliations and in various reports.
• Provide direction to staff in handling unusual fluctuations, discrepancies, or disruptions in business processes.
• Oversee monthly, quarterly and annual reporting activities for Client Services on a standalone and consolidated basis.
• Prepare the annual GAAP-basis certified financial statements and footnotes for consolidated Client operations.
• Prepare information for Parent company quarterly SEC filings and Japan reporting related to the insurance operations, as requested.
• Own and distribute, as subject matter expert, financial information and verbiage for required footnote disclosures related to insurance operations.
• Coordinate with the TMS Tax Department to meet deadlines and fulfill requirements for quarterly and annual federal and state tax filings and IRS examinations.
• Coordinate the interim and year-end GAAP audit procedures performed by external auditors, as well as internal audit requests related to the insurance group.
• Regularly review and update SOX process documents and work with SOX team to ensure appropriate internal controls are inherent in financial reporting and business processes and are designed effectively. Coordinate the performance of SOX control activities with control owners.
- Technical Accounting Proficiency and Subject Matter Expertise:
· Maintain current knowledge of GAAP pronouncements and their applicability to insurance operations.
· Perform technical accounting research as required. Prepare accounting position papers to support accounting policies and procedures adopted by the company.
· Serve as subject matter expert and product lead for assigned products. As product lead, assist in the review and analysis of new business opportunities including new products and changes to existing products by:
• Analyzing, implementing, and documenting the accounting treatment, reporting disclosures, internal controls, and systems processes associated with new initiatives;
• Reviewing contracts and providing recommendations to management regarding accounting and operational issues;
• Work closely with Insurance System Coordinator, Product Operations and Legal to document program specifics and to ensure that Client financial interests are adequately protected in legal agreements with business partners;
• Validating accounting outputs;
• Communicating these developments to other accounting and reporting groups impacted by change and ensuring their needs are met as part of implementation.
- Special Projects:
· Lead the implementation of all special projects related to Client by providing SME leadership and support as a business partner
· As business needs continue to evolve, take a lead role in developing, implementing, and reporting more meaningful business measures for insurance operations.
· Continuously look for opportunities to strengthen and/or streamline existing accounting policies and procedures. Investigate and implement advanced usage of available technology. Recommend process improvements and/or changes in accounting treatment as appropriate.
Team Members are expected to display the following competencies while performing the job functions listed above. Please list the appropriate MAP competencies and definitions based on the job level (from MAP website). Also list any department specific competencies.
DELIGHT Put your customers first and strive to better their experience
• Gathers voice of the customer to best understand the customer experience and develop solutions to meet their needs
• Benchmarks best practices from other areas of the organization to enhance service to the customer
• Shares passion for what the team''s product and service means for the customer
• Emphasizes, recognizes and rewards customer first behavior with team members
• Empowers team members to make timely decisions and take action in service to the customer
SOLVE Apply an analytical approach to anticipate, identify and resolve problems
• Interprets and communicates team, department, and organizational strategy
• Teaches, coaches and guides team members to use client thinking and an analytical mindset. Helps direct reports complete “action learning” application of these trainings
• Encourages and rewards direct reports to develop and refine superior work processes
• Identifies links between short-term, (day-to-day tasks) and the long-term (business strategies)
• Creates opportunity for collaboration across the business
INNOVATE Continuously improve, challenge the status quo and push for breakthrough solutions
• Communicates ideas and plans for targeted changes and desired outcomes
• Encourages the development of innovative ideas that solve root causes of clearly identified problems
• Leads change by taking ownership and responsibility for meeting objectives
• Champions innovative ideas and breakthrough solutions
• Empowers the team to think bigger and bolder to generate new ideas
LEAD Conduct yourself and guide others with humility, gratitude and integrity
• Aligns team members to the Company vision and strategy
• Shares information to empower others to do their job well
• Recognizes the good work of others and gives credit generously
• Takes responsibility for team results and advocates on behalf of the team
• Is willing to make difficult but appropriate decisions
GROW Deliberately and continuously improve yourself and others
• Coaches and provides honest performance feedback
• Invests in the career development of others
• Identifies and develops talent/bench strength to drive business results
• Seeks out performance feedback and uses it for continued development
• Proactively identifies teams’ needs and develops and recruits accordingly
VALUE Foster an inclusive environment where everyone is inspired to do his/her best work
• Is fully present, eliminates distractions and spends more time listening than talking
• Supports and encourages work life balance
• Demonstrates compassion for others
• Models and reinforces inclusive behaviors to deliver business results
• Creates a safe environment to enable the team to share different opinions and ideas
D. Supervision or Management (if applicable)
Please list the number of team members this job oversees directly or indirectly (through subordinate supervisors or managers), if any.
1-5 team members
6-10 team members
11-20 team members
21-50 team members
50 team members
In addition, this job is generally responsible for the oversight of 0 contingent and/or contract resources.
E. Working Relationships and Decision Expectations
- Nature/Purpose of Contact with Others (not including direct/indirect reports or supervisor): Briefly describe the typical business contacts for this job and the nature of these contacts (e.g., working with the Legal Department to provide requested information, gathering data/information from dealers, persuading department leadership, negotiating with vendors, influencing Management Committee, etc.).
· Working with the insurance product group to ensure accurate and timely recording of accounting information in our financials and to understand impact of implementation of changes or new products.
· Working with insurance analytics to obtain understanding and accurate information on earnings curve, estimation of reserves and various analyses.
· Working with Business Technology & Systems and Business Intelligence departments to discuss any changes to systems impacted accounting & reporting, as well as to resolve any discrepancies identified in the accounting reports.
· Working with internal/external auditors to understand and fulfill audit requirements.
· Working with compliance team assisting financial regulatory requirements and to ensure timely submission of required deliverables.
· Working with various vendors and external business partners to reconcile accounting data and resolve issues/discrepancies timely basis.
- Team Activity: Describe the types of teams someone in this job would typically be part of and their specific role(s) on the team(s).
This position would be part of Insurance Accounting & Reporting team supervising Client accounting team members. This role would be responsible for overseeing the month end close process, financial statement preparation, account reconciliations and internal/external audit support.
- Talent Management: Describe the job''s role, if any, in the recruiting and performance management process (including but not limited to hiring/termination decisions, MAP/performance ratings, merit/bonus recommendations).
This position will supervise one Accounting & Reporting Analyst (CL15) and Accounting Specialist (CL11). The supervisor would be responsible for monitoring their performance by setting up sound expectation, effectively communicating feedback, providing leadership and coaching them to grow within the company. This role will also be involved in hiring/termination process of insurance accounting team members.
- Project Management: Describe the type of projects a team member in this job would be expected to contribute to and/or lead.
· This role will play a critical role in projects such as new or changes to the products by researching and performing analysis on accounting impact, providing accounting needs and requirements, and ensuring accurate UAT testing.
· This position would be responsible for using a Kaizen mindset to find the most efficient and effective ways to complete and report their operational responsibilities.
F. Educational Requirements / Experience / Licenses or Certifications
Describe the minimum education and experience required or preferred to perform this job. Include any licenses or certifications that are either required or preferred to perform the job.
Four-Year College Degree (BA or BS]
Advanced Degree. Specify: Masters in Acctg
Experience – Subject Matter Expertise:
5-10 years of relevant work experience (in similar field and/or industry)
Licenses or Certifications [if applicable]:
License or Certification
Active certified Public Accountant license
Other Specialized Skills / Knowledge / Qualifications [if applicable]: Describe any special skills, knowledge, or qualifications needed to perform the essential job functions/accountabilities. Required Preferred
Strong accounting understanding and expertise
Strong written documentation and written and oral communication
Strong analytical skills, initiative; ability to multi-task
Demonstrated proficiency with Microsoft Office applications.
Experience working with ERP application. Peoplesoft preferred.
Public accounting experience with national firm.#CBRose#
Send me a reminder to complete this application
Rose International is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants
will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion,
sex, national origin, arrest and conviction records, or any other characteristic
protected by law. Positions located in San Francisco, California will be administered
in accordance with the Fair Chance Ordinance.