Baylor Scott & White Health PRN Patient Service Specialist (PSS) Job in Round Rock, Texas
Location: Round Rock, TX
H.S. Diploma/GED Equivalent
Provides clerical support for an assigned department or area and coordinates daily
* Provides clerical support to ensure department or area efficiency.
* Promptly answers and screens phone calls for the area, routing calls as appropriate
within established customer service guidelines.
* Ensures availability and completeness of medical records.
* Coordinates with physician the completion of charge documents for effective billing
* Promptly and accurately files ancillary results in medical records and routes for
appropriate follow through.
* Accurately completes orders for billing purposes in accordance with computer
system protocol, CPT criteria, and regulatory guidelines.
* Promptly obtains and verifies patient insurance information.
* Maintains physician schedules in order to maximize resource utilization of senior
* Accurately and promptly schedules, reschedules and cancels physician
appointments so as to maximize resource utilization of senior staff for optimum
* Maintains physician schedules to accurately reflect utilization of time on a daily,
weekly and monthly basis using appropriate descriptive block codes.
* Updates physician same day appointment books and promptly notifies patients of
* Revises daily template as required to reflect desk location, activity types and
* Ensures appointments are correctly linked to the correct case, guarantor and
* Coordinates patient needs to facilitate patient care planning activities and create a
positive experience for the patient.
* Greets patients and ascertains their needs in a professional and courteous manner.
* Coordinates and directs patient flow at the control desk.
* Instructs patients in preparation of tests and procedures, routings, locations and
other general information in a professional and courteous manner and in accordance
with established policies and procedures.
* Interprets physicians orders to correctly order ancillary tests in accordance with
current CPT criteria, ensuring that an appropriate ICD code has been attached to the
order and reflects the clinical history as indicated by the physician.
* Coordinates hospital admissions and transportation for patients.
* Safety Initiative - Complies with Scott & White safety policies and procedures and
regulatory requirements (e.g., OSHA, JCAHO, CLIA, etc.)
* Performs job duties in a manner consistent with organization and departmental
safety policies and procedures.
* Completes update on safety through the organization's computerized education
system on an annual basis; reads, understands and signs the MSDS manual on an
* Performs other position appropriate duties as required in a competent, professional
and courteous manner.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
* Must enroll in PSS training program and successfully complete competency exam to
maintain PSS position, or be moved into the PSS position.
* Medical Office Experience preferred.
Job Family: Office/Clerical