Baylor Scott & White Health Technologist, Surgical-Certifi in Round Rock, Texas
Functions in the inter-operative phase of patient care to expedite surgical procedures under the direction and supervision of a Registered Nurse.
ANTICIPATES NEEDS OF SURGEON AND SURGICAL PROCEDURE TO PREPARE INSTRUMENTATION FOR EACH PROCEDURE.
* Prepares instrument table in an organized and comprehensive manner, and discusses any special needs with the surgeon before surgery.
* Ensures proper orientation of electrical, mechanical and air instruments before they are used in patient care settings.
* Counts sponges and sharps aloud and visually concurrently with the circulating nurse to verify that count is correct.
* Scrubs in adequate time for proper preparation of instruments before surgeon scrubs.
* Chooses and passes instruments during procedure appropriately, based on solid knowledge of human anatomy and judiciously, carefully selecting and opening only needed supplies.
DISPOSES OF INSTRUMENTATION AFTER SURGICAL PROCEDURE TO MAINTAIN A CLEAN AND SAFE OPERATING ROOM.
* Disposes of sharps (e.g., needles, blades, etc.), and transports soiled instrumentation/containers of fluid, etc. properly and in accordance with established procedures.
DEPARTMENT SPECIFIC: OR
*Maintains instrument table in organized manner to avoid damage to instrumentation as well as incorrect needle or instrument counts.
*Identifies damaged or incomplete trays in a timely manner and rectifies discrepancy immediately, or contacts those who can help, in order to avoid delays or injury.
*Serves as preceptor for new staff, ancillary staff and students in a professional and supportive manner.
*Correctly handles, labels, and communicates with circulating nurse regarding all specimens and cultures.
*When assigned, provides breaks and lunches in a timely and efficient manner.
*When assigned, completes projects and assignments (i.e. dpc changes, instrument issues) in thorough and effective manner that aids department as a whole.
ENSURES MAINTENANCE OF THE STERILE FIELD.
*Uses principles of aseptic practice in varying situations.
*Initiates corrective action when break in technique occurs.
*Inspects sterile items for contamination and expiration dates prior to opening and maintains sterility while opening items for procedure.
*Labels all medications and fluids, to include syringes, that are added to the back table in accordance with the policy.
THE SURGICAL TECHNOLOGIST IDENTIFIES AND PROMOTES THE MOST COST-EFFECTIVE AND ENVIRONMENTALLY CONSCIENTIOUS METHOD OF PROVIDING SAFE AND EFFECTIVE PATIENT CARE IN ACCORDANCE WITH ESTABLISHED STANDARDS.
*Ensures doctor preference cards are correct and notifies PNC of needed changes.
*Reduces amount of wastage of resources by only opening supplies needed.
*Oversees and assists with room turn-over to facilitate case load.
*Participates in reprocessing efforts to assist the organization and promote an environmentally friendly atmosphere.
PERFORMS OTHER POSITION APPROPRIATE DUTIES AS REQUIRED IN A COMPETENT, PROFESSIONAL AND COURTEOUS MANNER.
REQUIRED SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITY
* Surgical Certification required.
*Formal training program after high school, one year operating room technician program preferred.
Job Family: Procedural Tech