HCA, Hospital Corporation of America Division Consulting Network Engineer in San Antonio, Texas
Why work for HCA IT&S? * For the eighth consecutive year, in 2016, HCA’s Information Technology & Services was recognized as one of the/Top 100 Best Places to Work in IT/by_Computerworld_Magazine. * HCA has been recognized by the Ethisphere Institute as one of the World's Most Ethical Companies. * * *You can be a part of a fast growing Fortune 79 company.
GENERAL SUMMARY OF DUTIES – The Division Consulting Network Engineer is responsible for the design, implementation, and support of various networking technologies and solutions for HCA division-based facilities, remote clinics, and office buildings within the division. This position will manage data collection, reporting, and trending for all critical network components and services, and will require collaboration with other technical resources in division and corporate IT&S to assess and take authorized action on anticipated improvements. The Division Consulting Network Engineer assists in the diagnosis and resolution of the most complex network and security incidents and requests that require research and diagnosis, and recommends process changes that improve the implementation, maintenance and support of division and facility-based network equipment. This position actively participates in strategic planning and 24x7 on-call support with other members of division IT staff. The Division Consulting Network Engineer provides local leadership, coordination, and communication for projects involving network solutions. This includes, but may not be limited to, the design, implementation, and deployment of various networking technologies within the division. This position is responsible for defining scope of various division-based projects, ensures that all deliverables are met, and adheres to and supports HCA IT policies and procedures. This position is responsible achieving alignment and continuity between corporate and division-based business and IT strategies, leveraging existing network investments and providing scalable options as business requirements necessitate a need for change. This requires the Division Consulting Network Engineer to keep abreast of the latest networking and security technologies, services, and components, actively facilitate communication between the division and corporate IT&S, and provide coordination to a team of virtual resources assigned to accomplish specific technical tasks.
DUTIES INCLUDE BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO:
• Provide local leadership, subject matter knowledge, coordination, and communication for projects involving network solutions, including defining scope, and ensuring deliverables are met.
• Ensure alignment and continuity between corporate and division-based business and IT strategies. • Create business case proposals, analysis of technologies, financials, and proposed project plans. • Create RFPs and conducts reviews/assessments, make vendor recommendations. • Perform contract reviews and ensure risks are mitigated.
• Design, implementation, and deployment of various networking technologies within the division. • Participate in strategic planning; creation and maintenance of standards, policies, and procedures. • Proactively address a change in business requirements by leveraging existing network investments, and providing scalable options. • Coordinate a team of virtual resources assigned to accomplish specific technical tasks. • Manage data collection, reporting, and trending for critical network devices and components. • Provide 24x7 on-call support based on division IT staff rotation and carries a pager as warranted, to assist with the most complex troubleshooting, coordination, escalation, and resolution of network or security-based incidents, equipment failures, etc... • Lead the build of technology operational models and work flows for the division. • Provide strategic contingency planning from a division network perspective. • Provide vendor management, service level definition and service level management for vendors of unique division network technologies and/or services. • Ensure continuity of network service management plans with other IT&S infrastructure departments. • Actively forecast workload, prioritize, and allocate resources. • Conduct division-specific network planning sessions, financial and budgeting analyses with regard to telecommunication expenses. • Conduct consultations with business partners, customers, and vendors, as warranted. • Actively participate in division and corporate-sponsored technical seminars, planning sessions. • Practices and adheres to the “Code of Conduct” philosophy and “Mission and Value Statement” • Mentors and trains division Sr. Network Engineers and Technical Services personnel, as needed. • Effectively works with division and corporate IT&S personnel to ensure that division priorities and standards are achieved. • Coordinates and participates in regular division-wide meetings and workshops with facility technical staff to ensure timely transfer of knowledge which impacts HCA-approved network architecture and security policies. • Adheres to and supports HCA IT&S standards, policies and procedures. • Maintains and protects confidentiality with regard to all aspects of patient care and employee information. • Adheres to Code of Conduct and Mission & Value Statement. • Performs other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES Required:
Strong technical Competencies:
OSI Layer 1 (LAN/MAN/WAN) physical layer technologies; Layer 2 technologies (including Switched VLANs, spanning tree, and WLANs) and Layer 3 technologies (OSPF and BGP).
* Cisco product lines and capabilities
* Telecom industry and data network service offerings
* Network security technologies (firewalls, VPN concentrators, ACLs)
* Exceptional troubleshooting skills
* Network analysis (Wildpackets, Sniffer, etc.)
* Capacity planning experience (Concord, Netscount, NetQoS)
Strong competencies in the following: * Leadership skills to establish and maintain business relations with technical resources, customers, business partners, vendors, and other IT&S personnel * Change Management – High tolerance for Change * Political Judgment – Involves all relevant stakeholders in major decisions; Strong facilitation skills; Utilizes approaches that foster ownership and minimize resistance * Hands-on Approach – Acts as a role model for other technical resources; maintains subject matter depth and breadth; knowledgeable of current issues * Makes decisions which are in the best interests of the business without succumbing to pressures * Is available and accessible; Maintains a positive attitude * Organization – Proactively prioritizes needs; Effectively manages resources * Communication – Communicates complicated technical scenarios in common terms; Communicates clearly across a wide audience (oral and written communications) * Customer Orientation - Establishes and maintains long-term customer relationships, builds trusts and is respected by consistently meeting or exceeding expectations * Motivate and challenge technical resources * Problem Management * Project Management * Demonstrated proficiency in MS Office applications Preferred: • Prior experience in Business Surveillance Center (BSC), Network Support, Network Solutions, Implementations, or as a business partner, vendor, or other IT&S staff developing network solutions that meet corporate and division business needs. • Demonstrates broad knowledge of network and security technologies and standards • Demonstrated ability to multi-task; Possesses strong analytical skills • Demonstrated customer orientation; strength in analytical, math, and reasoning skills • Effectively communicates verbally and in writing • Demonstrated proficiency in MS Office applications • Provides onsite technology support on projects
EDUCATION • Bachelor’s degree in information systems is preferred.
EXPERIENCE • 7 years experience in Networking/Telecommunications.
CERTIFICATE/LICENSE • CCNA or CCDP Preferred • CCIE written and relevant network security certifications – CISSP, CCSP, etc. are Preferred
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/WORKING CONDITIONS - Requires equal amounts of prolonged sitting and standing or walking, some bending, stooping and stretching, eye-hand coordination and manual dexterity sufficient to operate a keyboard, photocopier, telephone, and other office equipment. Position may occasionally require ability to lift up to 50 pounds, and to push or pull a cart. Requires normal range of hearing and eyesight to record, prepare and communicate appropriate reports. Must be able to express or exchange ideas verbally, have a normal range or hearing, and have the ability to see and obtain impressions, shape, size, and other characteristics with eyes. Work is performed in an office environment and in network/server equipment environments. Work may be stressful at times, and may involve contact with angry or upset people. Staff must remain flexible and available to provide staffing assistance for any/all disaster or emergency situations. Travel to facilities may be required.
Title: Division Consulting Network Engineer
Location: Texas-San Antonio-San Antonio Division Office
Requisition ID: 25388-72237