Texas Military Department Resident Specialist II (Overnight Team Leader) in Sheffield, Texas
The Texas ChalleNGe Academy (TCA) Night Security Team Leader is responsible for maintaining the overnight safety of assigned cadets participating in a voluntary residential military style academy. This position reports directly to the Assistant Commandant through the Team-Leader-In-Charge and works under moderate supervision with limited latitude for the use of initiative and independent judgment.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Ensure that all activities designated on the TCA training schedule are accomplished during the shift.
- Ensure that the cadet Standards of Discipline are upheld. Provide behavior directed counseling to reduce friction, correct undesirable behavior, improve morale and maintain continuity.
- Keep the TCA Chain of Command and fellow Team Leaders informed of all important matters through verbal communication, cadet conduct reports and the shift pass-down logs.
- Responsible for ensuring the cadets' barracks, common areas and living conditions are properly maintained in accordance with established standards.
- Ensure the safety of all TCA personnel and cadets during the shift.
- Maintain and update cadet performance and disciplinary files.
- Update the automated database system in regard to cadet performance and mastery of the eight core components.
- Maintain cadet order and security during the overnight shift.
- May transport cadets in emergency situations.
- Attend relevant training to maintain the essential functions of the position. (Personal financial responsibility is required to enable the issuance of a state or personal credit card for reimbursable training related expenses). MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
- Graduation from a standard senior high school or equivalent is required (see substitution).
- Two years of full-time employment is required.
- Experience working with youth who are emotionally/behaviorally at-risk is preferred.
- A combination of military service and education equal to two years may substitute for required experience.
REGISTRATION, CERTIFICATION OR LICENSURE:
- Valid driver's license is required. *If not currently a Texas resident, must obtain a Texas Driver's License within 30 days after entering Texas as a new resident. A satisfactory driving record is required for operating state or personal vehicles to conduct agency business.
- The ability to obtain a Texas Commercial Driver's License (CDL) is preferred.
- First Aid and CPR certification required or ability to obtain such certification.
- Applicants must be at least 21 years of age at the time that the application is submitted.
- Personal financial responsibility is required to enable the issuance of a state or personal credit card for reimbursable training related expenses.
- Employment is contingent upon favorable results of a drug test.
- This position is security sensitive and employment is contingent upon favorable results of a criminal record check with the Texas Department of Public Safety.
- The Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986 requires all new employees to present proof of eligibility to work in the United States within three (3) days of being hired. The Texas Military Department participates in E-Verify and will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), with information from each new employee's Form I-9 to confirm work authorization;
- Upon hire with the State of Texas, males between the ages of 18 through 25 must provide proof of registration or exemption with the Selective Service. For further information, visit the Selective Service website at https://www.sss.gov/RegVer/wfVerification.aspx.
Work involves standing, walking, stooping, kneeling, climbing, and crawling. Frequently lifts, carries, moves, and sets up equipment and materials that weigh up to 50 pounds. Ability to work an overnight shift. Ability to climb stairs, and physically patrol property. Patrolling will primarily be within one campus building housing approximately 150 cadets in two dormitories.
NOTE: Texas ChalleNGe Academy is a smoke-free environment. Smoking and/or the use of tobacco is prohibited within the facility.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- adolescent problems, growth and development; and
- techniques used in interacting with Cadets. Skill in:
- maintaining a clean and organized environment;
- communicating clearly and effectively both verbally and in writing; and
- operating computers and using Microsoft software. Ability to:
- demonstrate effective leadership;
- follow instructions and directions;
- interpret and explain program rules and regulations;
- effectively instruct Cadets;
- interact appropriately and professionally with Cadets;
- enforce disciplinary, safety and security measures;
- clearly and appropriately document cadet performance and disciplinary files;
- maintain appropriate communication with management;
- work a flexible schedule;
- work well with others and establish and maintain positive working relationships;
- attend and participate in mandatory training located in local and out of town locations; and
- train others.
VETERANS EMPLOYMENT PREFERENCE
If you qualify for a Veteran Employment Preference, it is mandatory that you provide the required documentation at the time of applying. Documentation must be provided before a Veteran Employment Preference can be granted.
**REQUIRED DOCUMENTATION Veteran – DD Form 214 or; Surviving Spouse of a Veteran who has not remarried - Marriage Certificate and DD Form 1300 or; Orphan of a Veteran who was killed during active duty – Birth Certificate and DD Form 1300
VETERANS: Use your military skills to qualify for this position or other jobs! Go to www.texasskillstowork.com to translate your military work experience and training courses into civilian job terms, qualifications and skill sets.
Veterans, Reservist or Guardsmen with an MOS or additional duties that fall in the following fields or other related fields pertaining to the minimum experience requirements may meet the minimum qualifications for this position and are highly encouraged to apply:
United States Army: Squad Leader United States Navy: Squad Leader United States Coast Guard: Squad Leader United States Marine Corps: Rifle Squad Leader United States Air Force: Squad Leader
Additional Military Crosswalk information can be accessed at: http://www.hr.sao.texas.gov/Compensation/MilitaryCrosswalk/MOSC_SocialServices.pdf
Job Title: Resident Specialist II (Overnight Team Leader)
Opening Date/Time: Tue. 10/11/16 12:00 AM Central Time
Closing Date/Time: Continuous
Salary: $2,050.00 Monthly
Job Type: Regular Full-Time
Location: 100 Schoolhouse Rd., Sheffield, Texas
Department: Counter Drug Task Force