YMCA of Greater Houston Childwatch Counselor I - EMC in Splendora, Texas
Supervises and interacts with children while parent engage in program activities; ensures the Childwatch program is safe, values oriented, and interactive
Promotes and incorporates the YMCA five core values and character development model in to all program activities.
Supervises children at all times to ensure their safety.
Stays alert to children’s needs and/or problems as individuals and as a group.
Engages children in developmentally appropriate games and learning activities.
Provides for physical needs of children including feeding, distributing snacks/drinks, restroom assistance, first aid, CPR and notifying parent of needed diaper changes.
Provides for the emotional needs of children including soothing distressed children, comforting sick or hurt children, redirecting negative behavior, and giving positive feedback.
Ensures proper administrative procedures are followed and completed, i.e. sign in/out records, incident reports, parental notifications.
Confers with parents regarding facility activities, policies, and check in/out procedures.
Prepares area for program by ensuring toys, supplies, play areas, storage areas, bathroom area and furniture are safe, clean, sanitized, organized and well maintained.
Inform incoming staff of any significant information about a child and list of children present in the group.
Reports any concerns to supervisor about the children, parents, members and/or others as needed, including reporting of any incident where a child is injured, or suspected child abuse or neglect.
Attends mandatory trainings and meetings.
Other duties as assigned by supervisor.
1. Meets educational and experience qualifications established by state law (if the state sets requirements. The YMCA should establish minimum qualification standards if the state has no requirements).
2. At least 16 years of age (The age minimum may be higher depending on state law).
3. CPR, First Aid, AED certifications and Child Abuse prevention training within 30 days of hire date.
4. Previous experience working with children in a developmental setting preferred.
5. Ability to plan, organize, and implement age-appropriate/developmentally appropriate program activities
6. Previous experience with diverse populations.
7. Current record of tuberculosis examination and/or current local health department regulations, examinations, and/or immunization as require by the local or State Department of Health.
Posting ID 73341154404
Job Category Child Care-Preschool/Child Watch/Early Childhood