Baylor Scott & White Health Hospitality Service Manager; Taylor Hospital in Taylor, Texas
Hospitality Service Manager
TayHos Nutrition Hosp
The Hospitality Service Manager serves as part of a cross-functional, patient care service delivery team serving the multiple inpatient Nursing units and leading a team that performs a broad range of non-clinical support service duties, with environmental service and food service duties at the core, to enhance the satisfaction level and safety of the hospitalized patient. The Hospitality Service department provides efficiency and quality of care by focusing on the patients comfort/concerns, resulting in Nursing staff being more focused on medical and Nursing related tasks. Although the Hospitality Service Manager serves primarily as a collaborative team member to Nursing, Environmental Service and Food Service, the program is also designed to interface with Linen, Patient Transportation, Waste Management, Maintenance, etc., to assure a high touch service for our patients. In this role the Hospitality Service Manager will manage EVS and Food staff that are assigned to designated units/areas.
Manages an assigned geographic area within Scott & White for environmental and food service delivery. The manager ensures an optimal, high quality, efficient environmental and nutritional related service for patients. Directly supervises approximately 40-50 employees.
DEMONSTRATES STRONG MANAGERIAL SKILLS WITH DAILY OPERATIONS AND PERSONNEL
* Creates schedules for the unit based hospitality services staff. Ensures adequate staffing during all hours of operation.
* Ensures the skill level of the unit based hospitality services staff meets requirements and works with new employees to familiarize them with the policies, procedures and practices of the dept.
* Provides on-going training programs to provide a safe and sanitary working
environment, enforces proper sanitation and hygiene standards for unit based hospitality services areas and staff.
* Provides Customer Service training for all unit based hospitality services staff to ensure that all patients and visitors are treated politely and respectfully. Empowers the staff to resolve, if possible, a person¿s complaint and to always report any such incident.
* Plans and schedules monthly department meetings and in-services to cover safety, infection control, body mechanics, communication tools, customer service, equipment usage, HIPAA and other department and/or S&W topics.
* Implements and maintains proper work routines for the hospitality services staff.
*Assesses and redefines routines and work flow processes, as necessary, in order to provide a more economical, efficient, or higher quality service for the patient, staff, or visitor.
*Gives timely goals, performance appraisals and identifies opportunities for personal growth and professional development for staff and self.
*Manages assigned personnel, their job descriptions and work assignments.
*Maintains employee records, tracks & records employee training.
*Maintains appropriate department logs, metrics and records to ensure compliance with regulatory agencies.
DEMONSTRATES STRONG LEADERSHIP AND FISCAL RESPONSIBILITY
*Operates within budget by monitoring and controlling expenses including payroll and supplies. Monitors and tracks cost, expenditures
*Manages allocated salary administration, annual budget and payroll for the hospitality services area(s) and staff.
*Responsible for the ordering of food and supplies and maintaining appropriate inventory in assigned geographic area
*Recommends changes, improvements, upgrades as appropriate for the hospitality services areas.
DEVELOPS, IMPLEMENTS AND MONITORS THE HOSPITALITY SERVICE PROGRAM THAT INCLUDES CROSS FUNCTIONAL, MULTI-SERVICE OPERATIONS IN CONJUNCTION WITH NURSING.
*Ensures the Hospitality Service leaders and staff effectively carry-out the
following essential duties and responsibilities:
* Ensures that staff provide assistance to all assigned patients with menu completion and pick-up, distribute patient meal trays, provide fresh drinking water and additional beverage service, provide assistance with meal set up and patient feeding as necessary, retrieve missing/additional food request items, retrieve, prepare and serve late trays from Nutritional Services, retrieve meal trays from patient rooms at the end of meal and places on food cart, record patient I&O and food/liquid consumption on appropriate record.
* Ensures that staff conduct daily inventory and cleaning of food pantry and refrigerator items, clean and process patient service wares and delivery equipment, deliver nourishments or snacks to patients as ordered by physician or dietitian in a timely manner.
Environmental Services Related:
* Ensures that staff clean and maintain assigned patient rooms as in established procedures, check soiled utility room to ensure cleanliness, complete second bathroom cleaning and trash removal, make un-occupied beds per hospital policy on all assigned patients, execute terminal room cleaning for all discharged patients, and complete cleaning of public or general use areas in assigned geographic area.
* Ensures that staff adheres to regulatory guidelines in the disposal of hazardous and infectious waste, maintain proper control over use of cleaning chemicals and supplies, completes daily clean-up of carts and cleaning equipment.
* Ensures that staff perform routine deep cleaning and maintenance of floors (hard surface and carpet) to include buffing, burnishing, or refinishing patient rooms, complete projects (lights, windows, vents, etc.) as assigned, clean and maintain assigned areas such as corridors, Nurse stations, office and staff areas, restrooms, stairs, elevators, and ancillary areas.
* Ensures staff assists patient transport staff with positioning, mobility and transfer of patients to/from a bed/stretcher while maintaining proper body mechanics, assist patient in discharge preparation and works with patient transport to ensure timely patient discharge.
DEMONSTRATES A STRONG COMMITMENT TO THE PHILOSOPHY AND
VALUES OF S&W HEALTHCARE.
* Cooperates and collaborates with the Scott & White leadership to champion and meet the strategic goals of S&W Healthcare.
* Ensures compliance with S&W and the Support Service department policies and procedures including appropriate attire and grooming for self and employees.
* Serves on departmental and/or S&W committees or focus groups as requested and needed.
* Actively develops and implements action plans to address performance related opportunities related to designated metrics, such as Press Ganey, HCAHPS, SWISS, and Gallup scores.
* Works with Human Resources in the recruiting, interviewing, hiring, counseling, disciplining and terminating of the unit based hospitality services staff.
* Complies with HR policies and procedures which include on-going staff training, timely performance appraisals, developing and mentoring staff, and maintaining confidentiality.
DEMONSTRATES ACTIVE, PERSONAL DAILY INVOLVEMENT, VISIBILITY AND PROFESSIONALISM WITH THE UNIT BASED HOSPITALITY SERVICE STAFF, S&W STAFF, AND ALL INTERNAL AND EXTERNAL CUSTOMERS.
* Interacts effectively, builds relationships, and demonstrates a high level of customer service.
* Leads and motivates employees to a higher standard of service.
* Continuously seeks ways to improve service, quality, and decrease costs.
* Actively solicits Customer Feedback and suggestions regarding unit based hospitality services.
*Responds to customer complaints in an appropriate and effective manner, seeking to resolve issues and concerns to the customer¿s satisfaction.
* Communicates effectively with the Hospitality Service Director on a regular formal and informal
basis to discuss pertinent progress, changes, or problems in the unit based hospitality services area.
DEPLOY THE ORGANIZATIONS LEARNING AND PROCESS IMPROVEMENT TOOLS (LEAN)
*Know and utilize lean problem solving tools and techniques to improve processes and address problems.
*Facilitate and coach teams using lean tools.
*Develop expertise in process improvement methods
*Participate in performance improvement training
*Foster an organizational atmosphere of "learning by doing"
PERFORMS SUCCESSFULLY OTHER RELATED AND APPROPRIATE DUTIES AS ASSIGNED.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Training & Experience:
* Food Service, restaurant, or hospitality service experience preferred.
* Environmental Service experience preferred.
* Healthcare experience preferred.
* To interact and communicate with all staff and management in English in
a positive and professional manner.
* To communicate appropriately verbally and in writing using the
* To comprehend instructions, correspondence, memos and other forms
of verbal and written communication.
* To read and follow instructions.
* To effectively present information in one-on-one and group situations.
* To deal with difficult situations and resolve issues and concerns in
an effective and professional manner.
* to work and accomplish tasks in a stressful, fast paced environment.
* Ability to analyze numbers, organizes data, and prepares clear and
* Demonstrates computer/Microsoft competence.
* Ability to work under stress and often long and odd hours preferred.
* Maintains a personal level of professionalism at all times.
Job Family: Support Services