Travis County Texas Custodian (Full-time, Temporary) in Texas
Performs custodial duties to keep County facilities clean and orderly. Cleans and maintains the appearance of offices, floors, restrooms and other facilities.
This is the first in a series of three custodial-related job classifications within the Maintenance job family. This classification is the beginning level custodial function responsible for basic cleaning of bathrooms and office areas and is distinguished from the Custodian Lead which functions as a working lead over other custodial positions. This classification may require work in secure facilities. This classification may require a flexible work schedule in order to meet the needs of the department.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Performs general cleaning, sweeps, mops, dusts, scrubs, vacuums, empties waste baskets and recycling containers. Cleans walls, windows, light fixtures and air supply/return registers.
- Cleans and disinfects restrooms, including fixtures, mirrors, equipment, windows, floors and walls. Replenishes restroom supplies, unstops sinks and toilets.
- Operates buffer, stripper, waxer, vacuum, and carpet cleaning machines.
- Secures and locks buildings. Turns out lights in areas completed.
- May replace light bulbs and other similar replaceable items.
- May move office furniture and other items, as required.
- May assist groundskeeper in yard work.
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned. Minimum Requirements
Education and Experience:
One (1) year of custodial or manual labor experience;
Any combination of education and experience that has been achieved and is equivalent to the stated education and experience and required knowledge, skills, and abilities sufficient to successfully perform the duties and responsibilities of this job.
Licenses, Registrations, Certifications, or Special Requirements: Applicants are required to successfully pass the background check investigation, including fingerprint clearance.
Two (2) available positions
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Policies, practices, procedures and methods of janitorial/custodial functions.
- Applicable safety practices and regulations.
Cleaning equipment, products, techniques, and standards. Skill in:
Cleaning windows, dusting furniture, and unstopping toilets.
- Operating cleaning equipment, such as buffers, strippers, waxers, vacuums, and carpet cleaning machines.
Both verbal and written communication. Ability to:
Understand and follow instructions and communicate effectively to perform the job functions, as required.
- Safely and correctly operate cleaning equipment.
- Work independently and efficiently.
- Manage time well and meet timelines.
- Communicate effectively.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with County employees and officials, and the general public. Work Environment & Other Information
Physical requirements include the ability to lift up to 50 pounds/carry up to 25 pounds, visual acuity, speech and hearing, hand and eye coordination and manual dexterity. Subject to standing, walking, sitting, repetitive motion, reaching, climbing stairs, bending, stooping, kneeling, crouching, crawling, pushing, pulling, balancing, client/customer contact, squatting to perform the essential functions. Subject to contact with hazardous waste, foul odors, animal and human fecal matter, insects and rodents, and exposure to outside elements.
This job description is intended to be generic in nature. It is not necessarily an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities. The essential duties, functions and responsibilities and overtime eligibility may vary based on the specific tasks assigned to the position.
Hours: 3:00 pm to 11:30 pm Monday through Friday. This is a full-time, temporary position with no benefits.
Department: Facilities Management
Location: Various County Facilities
Criminal, Driving, and Employment background checks are required.
Salary: $13.00 Hourly $13.00 Hourly
Job Number: 16-03160
Location: Various County Facilities, TX
Closing: 11/8/2016 11:59 PM Central
Job Type: Temporary
Department: Facilities Management
Agency: Travis County
Address: 700 Lavaca Street, Suite 420 Austin, Texas, 78701.