Travis County Texas Park Maintenance Worker (East) in Texas
Provides general day-to-day custodial, park maintenance and groundskeeping functions within assigned parks or parks projects, ensuring a safe, smooth, clean, hospitable, secure and efficient operation. Duties include emptying trash receptacles, cleaning restrooms and other buildings, cleaning picnic tables, picking up litter, mowing grass and eliminating weeds. Provides visitors and other customers with accurate information regarding parks.
This is the first in a series of two park maintenance-related job classifications within the Maintenance job family. This classification is distinguished by performing basic custodial, maintenance and groundskeeping functions within assigned park areas. This classification may require a flexible work schedule in order to meet the needs of the department.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Cleans, restocks and maintains restrooms, including cleaning sinks, toilets, floors, ceilings and walls, and restocks supplies. Inspects facilities and equipment, including toilets, sinks, fixtures, dispensers and lights to ensure operational and rectifies or refers problems to supervisor.
- Cleans and maintains shelters, maintenance buildings, offices and concession stands, including washing floors, picnic tables, ceilings and walls, operational dispensers. Empties waste baskets, trash receptacles, and replaces light bulbs.
- Removes ground litter, empties recycle, and trash receptacles.
- Mows, weedeats and weeds common areas. Assists in mowing and maintaining sports fields as assigned. Inspects areas and equipment to ensure operational and rectifies or refers problems to supervisor.
- Cleans and maintains all equipment and vehicles. Inspects equipment, including hand tools, chainsaws, personnel carriers and trucks to ensure operational and cleans and rectifies or refers problems to supervisor.
- Cleans and maintains all trails, including weed control and leveling to prevent safety hazards. Inspects trails to ensure operational.
- Provides visitors and other customers with accurate information regarding parks and park rules.
- May perform minor painting and fence repair or other repair under close supervision.
- Detects, reports and assists in correcting safety hazards in the parks.
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned. Minimum Requirements
Education and Experience:
One (1) year of custodial or building and grounds maintenance experience;
Any combination of education and experience that has been achieved and is equivalent to the stated education and experience and required knowledge, skills, and abilities sufficient to successfully perform the duties and responsibilities of this job.
Licenses, Registrations, Certifications, or Special Requirements: Valid Texas Driver's License.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Policies, practices, procedures and methods of assigned function.
- Applicable safety practices and regulations.
- Cleaning equipment, products, techniques and standards.
- Equipment and tools used in custodial, maintenance and groundskeeping functions.
Federal, State, Local and County applicable laws, rules, regulations and guidelines. Skill in:
Operating cleaning equipment, such as mops, buffers, strippers, waxers and vacuums.
- Cleaning floors, windows, walls and concession stands, and unstopping toilets.
- Operating grounds maintenance equipment.
- Trash maintenance.
Both verbal and written communication, including conveying and following instructions and providing information to the public. Ability to:
Safely and correctly apply custodial and grounds maintenance techniques.
- Understand and follow instructions and communicate effectively, as required.
- Work independently and efficiently.
- Manage time well and meet timelines.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with County employees and officials, representatives of outside agencies, and the general public. Work Environment & Other Information
Physical requirements include the ability to lift/carry up to 50 pounds, visual acuity, speech and hearing, hand and eye coordination and manual dexterity. Subject to standing, walking, sitting, repetitive motion, reaching, climbing stairs, bending, stooping, kneeling, crouching, crawling, pushing, pulling, balancing, reaching, twisting, driving, client/customer contact, squatting to perform the essential functions. Subject to extreme temperatures, outside elements, noise, vibration, contact with dust, fumes and hazardous chemicals, foul odors, animal and human fecal matter, insects and rodents.
This job description is intended to be generic in nature. It is not necessarily an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities. The essential duties, functions and responsibilities and overtime eligibility may vary based on the specific tasks assigned to the position.
Department: Transportation and Natural Resources.
Location: East District Parks
Work hours are flexible and may vary. Will work some weekends, evenings, and holidays.
Criminal, Driving and Employment background checks are required for this role.
Salary: $27,040.00 - $32,344.00 Annually $27,040.00 - $32,344.00 Annually
Job Number: 15-03340
Location: East District Parks, TX
Closing: 11/16/2016 11:59 PM Central
Job Type: Full Time
Department: TNR (Trans & Natrl Resrc)
Agency: Travis County
Address: 700 Lavaca Street, Suite 420 Austin, Texas, 78701.