Solvay Quality Assurance Lab Technician in Vernon, Texas
Quality Assurance Lab Technician
Responsible for the day to day operation of the Quality Control Lab at the Vernon Plant. This position will be responsible for monitoring and performing of tests to insure that not only in-process production material is performing well, but also guarantee that material is produced to specifications before leaving the plant site.
· Understanding laboratory calibration procedures and protocol
· Maintaining the retain system
· Manipulation of the computer systems to enter data (WebLIMS)
· Effectively communicating the disposition information on batches**
· Miscellaneous sample analysis for the investigation of customer complaints, concerns or requests
· Participation in Gauge R&R studies to validate methods and analysts
· Following laboratory procedures in disposing of laboratory waste in order to insure environmental compliance
· Following laboratory procedures for labeling and storage, and safe handling of chemicals
· Carry out in-process and final product analyses
· Follow all site safety rules and procedures.
· Monitor plant fire alarm system.
· Ensure safe working conditions through daily housekeeping of lab area.
· Conduct periodic inspections to assure compliance to existing process safety rules and procedures and to assess the effectiveness and need for other risk reduction activities.
· Represent Solvay USA, Inc. through daily actions that reinforce the corporate values; demonstrating personal commitment to a safe, healthy and environmentally sound workplace for employees.
· Report all incident/accidents, and assist in incident investigation
· Completely understand and follow plant life critical procedures
· Use appropriate PPE based on job task
· Fully participate in plant health, safety and environmental (HS&E) initiatives
· Complete live and computer based training to comply with HS&E requirements and policies
· Attend required daily and/or monthly safety meetings
· Follow laboratory procedures for labeling and storage, and safe handling of chemicals
· Appropriately handle hazardous waste as part of lab operations utilizing satellite containers. Responsible for container labeling and marking, moving containers, and may collect samples to assist with characterization of waste.
REQUIRED SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE, AND EXPERIENCES:
Must be able to work 4 days on, 4 days off, rotating shift (12 hour shift) with required overtime. Good attendance is mandatory. Must have good written and oral communication skills. Other skills needed are basic mathematical skills, ability to learn quickly. Laboratory experience a plus. Position will require ability to lift 25 lbs. periodically.
· Ability to perform job activities in compliance with HSE policies and procedures
· Knowledge of standard concepts and practices within the field of chemistry a plus
· Knowledge in performing wet and instrumental analyses for controlling chemical processes
· Understanding of laboratory safety techniques
· Understanding of solution preparation
· Understanding of when and how to report incidents or accidents
· Effective communication
· Proficiency in computer skills, including Microsoft Word and Excel, email, and navigating file servers and web based programs
· Certain degree of creativity and independence to accomplish goals
Education and Experience:
High school diploma or equivalent in addition to related laboratory experience preferred. Associate’s/Bachelor's degree in Chemistry, or Biology a plus.
Title: Quality Assurance Lab Technician
Requisition ID: NOV001796
Solvay is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristics.