Travis County Texas CSCD Casework Specialist I in Austin, Texas
Interviews clients directly after sentencing in court for those who have been placed on community supervision and those residing out of Travis County (indirect clients) and prepares appropriate paperwork to transfer supervision of the case to the client's County of residence. Provides supervision to indirect clients who have been placed on community supervision by the courts, enforces conditions of community supervision, and monitors aspects of casework related to the conditions of community supervision. Provides supervision for individuals who have been placed on Pre-Trial Diversion by the County Attorney, assures their compliance with the orders as set forth by the County Attorney, and monitors all aspects related to the client's Orders of the County Attorney.
DISTINGUISHING CHARACTERISTICS: This is the first in a series of five probation-related job classifications within the Courts job family. This classification provides supervision to indirect clients who have been placed on community supervision by the courts. Client caseload consists of indirect or Pre-Trial Diversion clients. Cases are staffed with higher-level community supervision staff.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provides supervision to indirect clients who have been placed on community supervision by the courts. Documents all contacts and all pertinent facts and events occurring in client's life, including issues of compliance and noncompliance. Documents collateral contacts, referrals, correspondence, and any and all other pertinent information. Responds to written or telephone contacts. Requests offense reports and urinalysis. Prepares requests to amend conditions of community supervision. Transfers cases to Probation Officer for violation reports and direct supervision.
- Conducts interviews with clients who have been placed on community supervision. Conducts orientation for newly probated clients. Explains conditions of community supervision as set forth by the courts. Makes appropriate court ordered referrals for the clients. Prepares file and sends to Probation Officer.
- Conducts interviews with clients who have been placed on community supervision, but who reside outside of Travis County. Explains the case transfer procedures and expectations to the client, prepares and sends the transfer packet to the appropriate receiving County/State.
- Conducts interviews with clients placed on Pre-Trial Diversion by the County Attorney. Explains conditions set forth by the County Attorney. Monitors client's progress and documents compliance or non-compliance and makes recommendations to the County Attorney accordingly. Assists with Community Service Restitution referrals and placement. Prepares legal documents for County Attorney's office.
- Ensures all money owed by client is collected and properly recorded.
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned. Minimum Requirements
Education and Experience: Associate's degree in Criminal Justice or a directly related field.
Licenses, Registrations, Certifications, or Special Requirements: None required.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Policies, practices, procedures and legal terminology related to court system.
- Federal, State, Local and County applicable laws, rules, regulations, guidelines and applicable community supervision services standards and procedures.
- Standard practices in area of assignment.
- Psychological concepts of good behavior, social adjustment and emotional stability.
- Casework techniques.
- Principles and procedures of record keeping and file management.
- Computer equipment to include word processing, spreadsheets, databases and a variety of software packages.
Business letter writing, grammar and punctuation, and report preparation. Skill in:
Problem-solving and decision-making.
- Interviewing clients.
Both verbal and written communication. Ability to:
Conduct interviews and report results clearly, accurately and impartially.
- Work efficiently both independently and as part of a team.
- Reason and make judgments and decisions.
- Work effectively and courteously under stressful circumstances.
- Deal effectively with mentally disturbed, hostile and aggressive individuals.
- Manage time well, perform multiple tasks and organize diverse activities.
- Perform in a stressful environment while maintaining a professional manner.
- Document information, compile data and prepare a variety of memorandums or reports.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with departmental clientele, representatives of outside agencies, other County employees and officials, attorneys, judges and the general public. Work Environment & Other Information
Physical requirements include the ability to lift/carry up to 10-25 pounds, visual acuity, speech and hearing, hand and eye coordination and manual dexterity necessary to operate a computer and office equipment. Subject to standing, sitting, walking, climbing stairs, bending, stooping, crouching, kneeling, pushing, pulling, reaching, twisting, balancing, repetitive motion, and squatting to perform the essential functions. Subject to contact with communicable diseases, radiation, hazardous waste, human fecal matter and foul odors. Subject to client and customer contact for extended periods of time.
This job description is intended to be generic in nature. It is not necessarily an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities. The essential duties, functions and responsibilities and overtime eligibility may vary based on the specific tasks assigned to the position.
Work Hours: 8:30 AM to 5:30 PM; Monday through Friday Grant Funded
Department: CSCD Adult Probation
Location: 4011 McKinney Falls Pkwy., Austin, TX
Criminal, Education and Employment Background Check Required.
Applicants chosen for fingerprinting will be responsible for the fingerprinting fee
Salary: $30,238.83 - $33,883.20 Annually
Location: Austin, TX
Job Type: Grant Funded
Department: CSCD Adult Probation
Job Number: 19-04813
Closing: 1/21/2019 11:59 PM Central
Agency: Travis County
Address: 700 Lavaca Street, Suite 420 Austin, Texas, 78701