Work In Texas Jobs

Work In Texas

Job Information

Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration Recreation Assistant in Big Spring, Texas

Summary These positions are located in the Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation Service of the VA Medical Center in Big Spring, TX. The purpose of the position is to plan and coordinate indoor and outdoor recreation activities for Community Living Center (CLC) and Domiciliary (DOM) patients. Responsibilities THIS IS NOT A VIRTUAL POSITION, YOU MUST LIVE WITHIN OR BE WILLING TO RELOCATE WITHIN A COMMUTABLE DISTANCE OF THE DUTY LOCATION Obtains guidance from a recreation therapist and/or designee to obtain insight into the appropriate recreational activities for the medical facility patients in consideration of mental and physical capabilities, psychological and emotional considerations, attitudes, individual interests and medical restrictions; Schedules varied indoor games, hobbies, and craft activities; Participates in the planning of outdoor sports events, and orients participants on requirements for protective equipment and the rules and regulations appropriate to the team sport involved; Schedules demonstrations and other special events; Participates in the development of publicity for scheduled special events through the use of flyers, bulletins, calendars, and newspapers; Provides support and assistance to recreation specialists or recreation program managers by assisting in limited aspects of recreation work; Sets up recreation areas for scheduled activities, records attendance, takes reservations for trips and tours, notifies participants of schedule changes, arranges for equipment or tools and checking them for condition on their return, and prepares recreation centers for special events, activities, and parties; Compiles, prepares, and submits records, reports, and requests concerning participation, material and equipment purchases, and inventories; Ensures that all supply and equipment requirements are identified/justified and requested through proper channels; Complies with established internal controls to ensure efficient and effective use of financial resources; Drives, accompanies, transfers/transports patients to any and all events/activities; Performs related duties as required. Work Schedule: Tuesday through Saturday, 10:30am - 7:00pm. This position may require rotating shifts to include weekends and holidays. Recruitment & Relocation Incentives: Not authorized. Financial Disclosure Report: Not required. Requirements Conditions of Employment Qualifications LICENSE REQUIREMENT: This position requires a current, valid state driver's license. MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS GS-05: One year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-04 grade level in Federal service that has equipped you with the particular knowledge, skills, and abilities to successfully perform the duties of this position. Examples of qualifying specialized experience include experience as: a group leader, counselor, or similar work in public and private recreation programs for adults or children such as summer camps, local playgrounds, YWCA and YMCA clubs, Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts, urban community centers, or resort recreational activities; a teacher's aid in elementary school recreation or physical education program, with emphasis on development of general recreational skills and abilities; an aid or assistant assignments in recreation while on active military service; an aid or assistant in the organization and administration of recreation activities, such as preparing activities calendars, maintaining attendance records, and providing information concerning schedules and activities; a summer aid in a State or national park, with duties related to the recreational activities of visitors to campsites, trails, picnic areas, nature and raft centers, and boating and fishing areas (e.g., demonstrating camping techniques and park safety, conducting nature tours, and overseeing farm animal areas provided for children); a sales or stock clerk in a recreation supplies and equipment shop; an aid or assistant in the issuance of authorized property, and in the maintenance of inventory control and accountability for such property in a recreation facility; or an aid or assistant in a hotel or resort recreation service, with duties such as setting up areas for games, tournaments, and other organized group recreational activities. This experience must be detailed in your resume to receive credit. OR Successful completion of a 4-year course of study leading to a bachelor's degree with major study or at least 24 semester hours in courses related to recreation or physical education. This education must have been obtained in an accredited business or technical school, junior college, college or university for which high school graduation or the equivalent is the normal prerequisite. One year of full-time undergraduate study is defined as 30 semester hours, 45 quarter hours, or the equivalent in a college or university or at least 20 hours of classroom instruction per week for approximately 36 weeks in a business or technical school. Transcripts required. OR An equivalent combination of specialized experience and higher-level graduate education as described that demonstrates your ability to perform the duties of this position. Transcripts required, and experience must be detailed in your resume to receive credit. You will be rated on the following Competencies as part of the assessment questionnaire for this position: Attention to DetailCustomer ServiceFlexibilityOral CommunicationPlanning and EvaluatingProblem Solving IMPORTANT: A full year of work is considered to be 35-40 hours of work per week. All experience listed on your resume must include the month and year start/end dates. Part-time experience will be credited on the basis of time actually spent in appropriate activities. Applicants wishing to receive credit for such experience must indicate clearly the nature of their duties and responsibilities in each position and the number of hours a week spent in such employment. Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student; social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience. For more information on these qualification standards, please visit the United States Office of Personnel Management's website at Education IMPORTANT: A transcript must be submitted with your application if you are basing all or part of your qualifications on education. NOTE: Only education or degrees recognized by the U.S. Department of Education from accredited colleges, universities, schools, or institutions may be used to qualify for Federal employment. You can verify your education here: If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education. For further information, visit: Additional Information Physical Requirements: Work involves regular and recurring physical exertions when walking, standing, bending, reaching, stooping, climbing, pushing, and stretching; operating various supplies and equipment; lifting and repositioning patients, and assisting in transfer and/or ambulation. Work requires above average agility and dexterity. There may be undue heavy lifting due to unforeseen circumstances such as preventing a patient from falling. At times, activities are conducted outside on hospital grounds or during outings into the community. The work involves regular and recurring exposure to moderate risks and discomforts, e.g., risk of exposure to contagious diseases, odors and/or flammable gases. Protective clothing is required as needed. The work area is adequately lighted, heated, and ventilated. The work is moderately stressful, is accomplished in an area with many interruptions, and requires mental and emotional stability, flexibility and the ability to meet short deadlines. Though rare, there is a possibility of encountering physical or verbal aggression due to close contact with psychiatric and confused patients. Receiving Service Credit for Earning Annual (Vacation) Leave: Federal Employees earn annual leave at a rate (4, 6 or 8 hours per pay period) which is based on the number of years they have served as a Federal employee. VA may offer newly-appointed Federal employee's credit for their job-related non-federal experience or active duty uniformed military service. This credited service can be used in determining the rate at which they earn annual leave. Such credit must be requested and approved prior to the appointment date and is not guaranteed. Special Employment Consideration: VA encourages persons with disabilities to apply, including those eligible for hiring under 5 CFR 213.3102(u), Schedule A, Appointment of persons with disabilities (i.e., intellectual disabilities, severe physical disabilities, or psychiatric disabilities), and/or disabled veterans with a compensable service-connected disability of 30% or more. For more information on how to apply using this appointment authority via the Selective Placement Coordinator within the office, contact the facility Human Resources Department at (432) 263-7361. It is the policy of the VA to not deny employment to those that have faced financial hardships or periods of unemployment. Veterans and Transitioning Service Members: Please visit the VA for Vets site for career-search tools for Veterans seeking employment at VA, career development services for our existing Veterans, and coaching and reintegration support for military service members. The Interagency Career Transition Assistance Plan (ICTAP) and Career Transition Assistance Plan (CTAP) provide eligible displaced Federal competitive service employees with selection priority over other candidates for competitive service vacancies. To be qualified you must submit appropriate documentation and be found well-qualified (have a final rating of 85 or more before any Veterans preference points) for this vacancy. Information about ICTAP and CTAP eligibility is on OPM's Career Transition Resources website at This job opportunity announcement may be used to fill additional vacancies. If you are unable to apply online view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application.