HCA, Hospital Corporation of America Laboratory Assistant PRN in Georgetown, Texas
St. David’s Georgetown Hospital, which is part of St. David’s HealthCare, is a 114-bed facility offering a range of services, including a 24-hour emergency department with a level IV trauma center; Certified Primary Stroke Center; inpatient and outpatient surgery; advanced pulmonary intervention; critical care capabilities; acute inpatient and outpatient rehabilitation; orthopedics and joint replacement; and maternity and newborn services with mother-baby couplet care close to home for Georgetown families. St. David’s Georgetown Hospital has been a community healthcare resource in Williamson County for the past 70 years. The hospital opened its current location in 1979, and it is the only hospital in Georgetown. In 2019, St. David’s Georgetown Hospital was named among the nation's 100 Top Hospitals by IBM Watson Health (formerly known as Truven) in conjunction with its parent campus, St. David’s Medical Center, which made the list for the tenth consecutive year. The 100 Top Hospitals study spotlights the top-performing hospitals in the U.S. based on a balanced scorecard of publicly available clinical, operational, and patient satisfaction metrics and data. Additionally, the facility was honored with an “A” for patient safety by The Leapfrog Group, an independent nonprofit that rates facilities on how well they protect patients from accidents, errors, injuries and infections. St. David’s HealthCare, which includes St. David’s Georgetown Hospital, was the only hospital system in Central Texas to receive the top rating at all eligible facilities.
We offer you an excellent total compensation package, including competitive salary, excellent benefit package and growth opportunities. We believe in our team and your ability to do excellent work with us. Your benefits include 401k, PTO medical, dental, flex spending, life, disability, tuition reimbursement, employee discount program, employee stock purchase program and student loan repayment. We would love to talk to you about this fantastic opportunity.
Accurately obtains blood samples via venipuncture and capillary procedures with minimum customer discomfort. Assists in accessioning and preparation of specimens in the clinical laboratory. Responsible for certain computer functions, clerical duties, and telephone procedures, general department cleaning and maintenance, and equipment maintenance. Serves as a resource for specimen and testing information.
ESSENTIAL JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Performs venipuncture, finger sticks, and heel sticks on inpatients, outpatients, and pre-admission Testing patients in such a manner as to obtain optimum blood specimens at a minimum of patient inconvenience.
- Ensures that specimens are collected per physician’s order and returned to the laboratory
- appropriately to maintain optimal turnaround of all test results per department policy.
- Delivers specimens to lab within 15 to 30 minutes of draw. Does not hold specimens in collection area.
- Communicates with nursing before and after collection of inpatients to keep nursing informed and find out any pertinent information about the patient.
- Asks the patient’s name and date of birth when feasible and verifies identity via ID band and lab labels using at least two identifiers as applicable before drawing blood. This is done prior to collection of all specimens.
- Practices and applies standard scripting and AIDET.
- Collects appropriate specimens in correct containers with sufficient volume.
- Investigates orders or specimens that have a discrepancy.
- In the presence of the patient label all specimens with patient’s full name, date, time, and initials of the phlebotomist.
- Make notation on comment line of order in computer of any information necessary for the person performing the test. Example: when blood must be collected by finger stick or heel stick, or is drawn above an IV.
- Uses judgment in assessing specimen suitability.
- Alerts techs to STAT/ED samples requiring testing.
- Prioritizes stat and urgent draws appropriately. Manages time well.
- Provides clear oral and written instructions to patients for collections to be done at home.
- Able to print results to specified printers in the lab and to site locations.
- Capable of looking up results, orders and test procedures in the Meditech system.
- Possesses thorough knowledge of receiving, ordering and editing processes in the Computer system.
- Checks physician’s orders in Laboratory Information System, including tests being ordered and any comments such as fax or call comments.
- Checks that all information on the patient data sheet is correct and has been entered as stated on the physician’s written order.
- Runs pending reports and investigates outstanding orders as needed.
- Monitors standing orders for Continuous Care patients and requests new orders from physician when current order is six months old.
- Performs EKGs for outpatients according to policy.
- Performs procedure accurately.
- Follows policy for abnormal to verify that the patient is stable before releasing.
- Orders test and completes in Meditech appropriately.
- Faxes and handles paperwork appropriately per protocol.
- Maintains clean and well stocked work area.
- Maintains, stocks, and inventories supplies and reports needs to supervisor.
- Maintains a clean work area. Cleans phlebotomy chair and blood collection station, and Outpatient Lab countertops according to OSHA guidelines and lab infection control and safety policies.
- Wipes down counters and phones with disinfectant at least once per shift
- Follows hospital and departmental policies and procedures.
- Meets attendance expectations as specified in the SDGH’s Personnel Policies and Procedures Manual.
- Meets dress code standards; appearance is neat and clean.
- Wears identification while on duty; uses computerized punch time system correctly
- Attends mandatory hospital in-services concerning Infection Control and Safety.
- Attends or reads minutes of each departmental meeting.
- Attends all departmental in-services.
- Has demonstrated or provided proof of meeting all mandatory competencies.
- Has met all employee health requirements for the evaluation year and conforms to established dress, protective equipment, and patient isolation policies.
- Maintains the confidentiality of any in formation the employee has access to including but not limited to financial, patient records, employee records or any other information of a sensitive nature which if disclosed could cause harm to the hospital, patients, or staff.
- Always wears appropriate PPE in the laboratory. Follows OSHA guidelines for safety.
- Adheres to Standard Precautions guidelines at all times.
- Wears gloves while handling specimens and gloves and lab coats while assisting with procedures or handling specimens that have the potential for splashing
- Observes and follows hospital protocol Special Precautions warnings, such as Contact Isolation.
- Accepts and performs other assigned duties with a positive attitude, as requested and documented by the supervisor.
- Interacts in an effective, willing, professional manner with patients, guests, and other health care team members.
- Actively participates in department’s PI activities.
- Demonstrates customer service skills consistent with the values of the organization.
- Demonstrates consistently exceptional customer service skills in all interactions
- Consistently escorts patients to their destinations per customer service practices.
- Greets outpatients and performs required services in a timely manner.
- Uses AIDET and KWAKT effectively and consistently.
- Interacts with patients and coworkers in a friendly and professional manner at all times.
- Answers phone, relays messages appropriately, and gives information as requested by caller. Responds to customers professionally and appropriately.
- Answer phone by third ring.
- Demonstrates ability to put lines on hold when multiple lines are ringing and responds or directs calls ASAP.
- Assists in training of employees and students as appropriate.
- Collects employee drug screens and legal blood alcohol specimens and completes all paperwork appropriately
- Serves as a source of information for other departments for proper specimen collection.
- Researches reference lab requirement and prepares specimen for send out to referral laboratories.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
Required: High School diploma or equivalent.
Preferred: Computer skills and graduation from an accredited Phlebotomy training Program. One or more years of experience.
LICENSES AND CERTIFICATES:
Preferred: PBT (ASCP), LVN, EMT, or Paramedic certification.
Title: Laboratory Assistant PRN
Location: Texas-Georgetown-St. David%27s Georgetown Hospital
Requisition ID: 25067-72281