HARRIS COUNTY Bilingual Eligibility Specialist - Social Services in Houston, Texas
This position comprises the base of the staff structure through which policy is interpreted in determining a client's eligibility for emergency financial assistance services. The Eligibility Specialist evaluates the needs of clients, interprets both Division and Departmental policy, and assures essential needs of clients are met either by this program or by referring to the Housing and Community Resource Center. Duties and Responsibilities:
- Interviews and counsels individuals and families requiring assistance with personal and family adjustments, finances, employment, food, clothing, housing, and physical/mental impairments.
- Determines nature and degree of problems and the agency's ability to be of service.
- Determines client's eligibility for financial assistance with utility bills including electric, gas, and water.
- Secures information such as medical, financial and social factors contributing to the client's situation.
- When appropriate, refers clients for case management services or the Housing and Community Resource Center.
- Access and records client and community resource information, manually or using computer equipment to input and retrieve information.
- Compiles records and prepare reports.
- Establishes and maintains an effective working relationship with co-workers, administrators, staff from partner agencies and the general public.
Performs other job-related duties as assigned. Requirements
Bachelor's degree in a Social Sciences related field such as Psychology, Sociology, Behavioral Science or Criminal Justice, and
- Bilingual in English/Spanish.
Valid driver's license, reliable transportation, and liability insurance. Additional Requirements:
Word processing skills.
- Good customer service skills.
- Good written and oral communications skills.
- Ability to draft correspondence and chronologically document files.
- Ability to maintain quality control over work assignments.
- Ability to learn applicable software programs.
- Ability to read and interpret regulations pertaining to the administered programs.
NOTE: To qualify for this position, required education, experience, knowledge and skills must be clearly stated on your application's employment history. Resumes are welcome, but _we do not use _any information provided on your resume to qualify and refer you to the Hiring Department for consideration. General Information
The work is primarily sedentary with occasional require travel to training events or meetings. The work is performed in an office setting. No special safety precautions are required.
- Northside - Houston, 77093
Eastside (Pasadena/Baytown) HOURS:
Monday-Friday / 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. SALARY:
Commensurate with Experience
- Based on 26 Pay Periods
Due to a high volume of applications positions may close prior to the advertised closing date.
Salary: Depends on Qualifications
Location: Houston, TX
Job Type: Regular Full-time
Department: Community Services Department
Job Number: 03646
Closing: 2/8/2019 11:59 PM Central
Agency: Harris County
Address: 1310 Prairie Street, Ste. 240 Houston, Texas, 77002