Calpine Manager, Accounting I – Fuel Settlements in Houston, Texas
Requisition Number 21-0068
Title Manager, Accounting I – Fuel Settlements
Job Family Finance Accounting
Employee Type Regular
Subject to DOT Regulations No
Percent of Travel Required 0
Relocation Provided No
Location Houston Office
Description Job Summary: (includes but is not limited to the following, other duties may be assigned):
Responsible for In-depth knowledge of physical energy commodity markets with Natural Gas and Oil preferred. Expertise associated with physical energy commodity settlements and well as a working understanding of Energy Trading Risk Management Systems “ETRM” deal settlement configuration, physical operational requirements, and translation to accounting and reporting requirement
Responsible for all-natural gas, fuel oil procurement, associated transportation and storage settlement and accounting activities, including associated affiliate transactions. Will work closely with the Gas Trading commercial organization, Scheduling, and Plant operations personnel to ensure appropriate deal term capture, volume actualization and internal and 3rd party pipeline and storage balancing in support of accurate settlement and accounting results. Working understanding of accounting process and controls and cash management requirements. Responsible for ensuring that the accounting department is staffed with qualified financial personnel capable of meeting objectives and responsibilities. Responsible for identifying and implementing continuous improvement within the department to achieve optimal business process. Proficient in leveraging associated user IT applications (advanced excel, ERP, etc.). Natural Gas and Oil accounting functions including settlement of third party of sales and supply, transportation, storage agreements and Intercompany transactions, financial reporting and general ledger analysis, as well as development, implementation and maintenance of all related systems, procedures and internal controls. Responsible for providing timely Gas analytical expertise to internal and external customers. This requires a detailed understanding of specific Natural Gas and Oil operating procedures and protocols as well as a detailed understanding of Gas market charge types. Accountable for ensuring the overall quality and timeliness of all responsibilities within department. This requires effective utilization of resources through balancing of workload, proper delegation of responsibilities, providing of guidance and development of personnel, as well as working with department heads to effectively manage changes of organization.
• Accomplishes work through others. Manages Gas Settlement Department with an operational focus.
• Strong working knowledge of the energy industry, merchant energy and expertise in Natural Gas and Pipeline transportation market.
• Comprehend process automation and integration as well as participate in and lead system design and implementation projects. People Soft experience is preferred, but not required.
• Directly accountable for performance and development of team, function, or assigned professional staff.
• Responsible for design and implementation controls and processes specific to area of control
• Responsible for ensuring all controls operate effectively each reporting period
• Ensuring all reconciliations are prepared and reviewed accurately and timely
• Provides timely feedback and coaching to team to continuously improve performance.
• Decisions typically related to resources, project approach, and tactical operations.
• Results have significant impact on costs and the achievement of function objectives or project-based goals.
• Makes decisions for large-scale projects, a closely related set of projects and initiatives involving own and possibly related functional areas.
• Works on problems of diverse scope ranging from moderate to complex. Makes recommendations on new processes, tools and services; leads team in day-to-day implementation activities of new products, services and techniques
• Receives assignments in the form of objectives and determines tactical approach, resources, schedules and goals.
• Collaborates with management and top professionals/specialists in selection of methods, techniques, and analytical approach.
• Works within general guidelines; applies advanced technical knowledge to solve moderately complex problems for a function.
• Ability to critically review work of team members and ensure completeness and accuracy of product
• Manages day-to-day oversight of staff; may become actively involved to meet schedules and resolve problems.
• Provides input into human resources decisions such as hiring, promotions, year-end ratings and disciplinary actions.
• Responsible for performance reviews, including discussion with team members about successes and areas for improvement, promotional decisions, and pay actions for support and professional levels.
• Information sharing – gives and receives information with management and others
• Positively collaborates with teams within and outside of the accounting organization to ensure understanding of changes and any impact to the related accounting processes.
• Leads teams to appropriately respond and account for changes timely.
Requirements • Bachelor’s Degree in Business, Accounting required.
• Previous work leadership experience.
• Requires minimum of 5-10 years in area of specialization, CPA preferred.
• Industry experienced preferred.
Equal Opportunity Employer of Minorities, Females, Protected Veterans, and Individuals with Disabilities.
Calpine is committed to Equal Employment Opportunity and providing reasonable accommodations to applicants with physical and/or mental disabilities. If you are interested in applying for employment and need special assistance or an accommodation to use our website or to apply for a position, please send an e-mail with your request to email@example.com. Determination on requests for reasonable accommodation are made on case-by-case basis.
Please view Equal Employment Opportunity Posters provided by OFCCP
here (http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/ofccpost.htm) .