HARRIS COUNTY Policy Advisor in Houston, Texas
The Policy Advisor will work with the Policy Director, other Policy staff, Community Outreach Department, Communications Department, other Precinct 2 staff, county staff, and community stakeholders to help develop and implement the Commissioner’s policy agenda, liaise with experts and stakeholders in the issue areas of importance to the office from across the country, and use evidence and research to inform the direction of the Commissioner’s actions and advocacy.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Leads a policy portfolio and develops positions, proposals, strategy, and policy details and drives Commissioner Garcia’s vision on portfolio matters from ideation to implementation, developing the Commissioner's positions on pressing policy and legislative matters as they arise.
- Understands budgets and works to identify the resources needed to execute the Commissioner’s policy agenda.
- Produces briefs and oversees the production of briefs for the Commissioner and his leadership staff.
- Monitors, analyze, and tracks changes to county policy and related local, state, and federal laws and regulations.
- Liaise with experts and stakeholders throughout the County on the issues within the portfolio and serves as staff liaison to internal and external County departments, as well as city, state, and federal elected officials and agencies, and outside advocates and stakeholders on the issues within their portfolio.
- Supports Precinct 2 Commissioner, leadership team, and relevant departments in the execution of Precinct policy goals.
Harris County is an Equal Opportunity Employer https://hrrm.harriscountytx.gov/Pages/EqualEmploymentOpportunityPlan.aspx If you need special services or accommodations, please call (713) 274-5445 or email ADACoordinator@bmd.hctx.net
- Bachelor’s degree,** and**
- Two (2) years of experience working in public policy, including but not limited to, working for a public official, government agency, research institution, or advocacy organization.
*Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities: *
- Existing relationships with state and local officials and advocacy organizations.
- Experience working in public policy fields relevant to county government, especially criminal justice, mental health, and early childhood development.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.).
- Ability to work collaboratively with a team as well as independently.
- Ability to work flexible hours. Some evening and weekend work may be required.
- Possess the ability to develop timelines; strong problem solving and analytical skills; well-developed organizational skills.
- The ideal candidate will be creative, motivated, and team-oriented.
NOTE: Qualifying education, experience, knowledge, and skills must be documented on your job application. You may attach a resume to the application as supporting documentation but* ONLY information stated on the application will be used for consideration. "See Resume"* will not be accepted for qualifications. Preferences
- Postgraduate degree, preferably in law, public policy, or public administration. General Information
- 40 hours per week -This may include weekends and holidays
Due to a high volume of applications positions may close prior to the advertised closing date.
Salary: Depends on Qualifications
Location: Houston, TX
Job Type: Regular Full-time
Department: Commissioner Precinct 2
Job Number: 05653
Closing: 11/16/2020 11:59 PM Central
Agency: Harris County
Address: 1310 Prairie Street, Ste. 240 Houston, Texas, 77002