Shermco Industries Protection & Control Relay Technician in Midland, Texas
PROTECTION & CONTROL RELAY TECHNICIAN
Join our leading team in electrical power system maintenance, repair, testing & training. Due to continued growth, we are seeking experienced P&C; Relay experts to work in our Protection and Controls Field Services group on substation retrofits and new construction.
Why Work for Shermco?
- Full-Time or Contract opportunities available.
- Strong benefits package and highly competitive compensation plan, plus lucrative overtime plan.
- A growth oriented environment that is upbeat, good morale and team oriented.
- Industry-leading electrical and safety training.
Minimum Qualifications: to qualify for consideration, you must meet the following minimum qualifications and requirements:
- High School Diploma or equivalent; certificate from technical school or utility training program a desired; BSEE a plus.
- Must have a minimum of 3 years related experience in the areas of transmission line and substation protective relay control system and SCADA/Automation checkout, installation, testing and trouble-shooting; an equivalent combination of education and experience may substitute.
- Demonstrated thorough proficiency regarding protective relay, substation communication, and/or SCADA/Automation theory and application, general electrical/electronic theory and computer hardware and software skills.
- Experience desired with most of the following:
- RTU’s: GE D20/400, RTU/IED Communications – 4 wire data and 2 wire RS 485/RS 232, RTU protocols
- Experience with IEDs: SEL 2032, SEL 421, 311A, 311B, 311C, 311L, 734, Bitronics, ION 7350, Qualitrol TTL 1000
- Experience with test sets and software: Doble 6150, ASE 2000 Test Kit, Arbiter, Protest, RTS, Megger MPRT & EZ CT 2000.
- Experience with relays: Schweitzer SEL 421, 311A, 311B, 311C, & 311L, ABB DPU 2000R, HU, CA16, KD & LCBII, GE PVD, BDD, STD, CEY, L90, D60, B90, Areva
- Must be able to work safely around high-voltage electricity.
Job Responsibilities and Expectations:
- Perform installation, commissioning, testing and maintenance of protective relaying equipment, relaying schemes, DFR equipment, SCADA systems, distribution automation systems and associated communication equipment.
- Perform function testing of substation control circuits on relay panel, transformers & circuit breaker changeouts.
- Perform end-to-end relay testing using Doble ProTesT software to verify carrier and fiber systems.
- Assist in developing written standard commissioning, testing and maintenance procedures for protective relaying, DFR's, RTU's, IED's, Distribution Automation and associated communication systems.
- Manage projects onsite throughout the duration and effectively interface and own the relationship with customers and their vendors.
- Must be able to pass a pre-employment drug test and periodic, unannounced random drug tests.
- Must complete a satisfactory criminal background check.
- Must be available to work overtime and regularly travel out of town for extensive periods (up to 10 weeks).
- Must be able to climb ladders, stand for extended periods, drive regularly, with or without reasonable accommodations. Must be able to pass a fit for duty physical exam.
- Must have a valid driver’s license, and currently have and be able to maintain a good driving record.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER | DRUG-FREE WORKPLACE
No Agencies Please