Stephen F. Austin State University Administrative Assistant in Nacogdoches, Texas
Bookmark this Posting | Print Preview | Apply for this Job
Job Title Administrative Assistant
Full Time/Part Time Full Time
General Job Description
This is an administrative support position responsible for performing complex secretarial and/or administrative work, usually reporting directly to a department administrator. Work involves planning, organizing and performing a wide variety of administrative and bookkeeping activities and may require supervision of one or more clerical assistants in carrying out the details of the work. Work often involves handling confidential and sensitive material. Work may require extensive interaction with students and planning of individual degree programs; and assisting in the development of departmental policies and procedures. Responsible for gathering data, maintaining files and processing a variety of records and reports for university administration and various state agencies. Requires frequent contact with other university or state agencies and the general public. Work is performed under general supervision and is subject to review through conferences with the administrator. May schedule and coordinate luncheons, meetings and conferences. May supervise student employees. Performs other duties as assigned.
Essential Job Functions
- Assists administrator in the development of departmental policies and procedures.
- Interprets policies and explains procedures relating to the activities of the department.
- May maintain departmental bookkeeping/accounting, including billing.
- Prepares special and routine reports and maintains departmental records.
- Handles routine and confidential correspondence.
- Utilizes a high level of skill in the preparation of reports, special studies and similar documents.
- May compile statistical data and prepare various studies of departmental activities.
- May assist in counseling students and providing information relating to the function of the department.
- May act in administrator’s behalf in his/her absence.
- May use a computer terminal for typing, storage and retrieval of information.
- May complete degree plans and provide course curriculum information where applicable and counsel students accordingly.
- May train and supervise a small clerical staff in performing routine duties.
- May take and transcribe dictation as required.
- May approve and sign requisitions, vouchers and other routine documents
Non-Essential Job Functions
- May receive and/or supervise the receipt of payments from student and others for departmentally sponsored activities.
- May instruct or supervise others in computer terminal usage.
- May be involved in screening and evaluating applicants for departmental clerical positions.
- May act as receptionist.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
The individual must possess the following knowledge, skills and abilities or be able to explain and demonstrate that the individual can perform the essential functions of the job, with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Thorough knowledge of, or ability to learn, university and departmental policies and procedures.
- Thorough knowledge of, or ability to learn, university and departmental degree requirements.
- Knowledge of modern office procedures and related office equipment.
- Skill in operation of office equipment including, but not limited to, typewriter, dictaphone or transcribing equipment, calculator, fax machine and computer terminal.
- Skill in typing with minimal errors.
- Ability to establish and maintain a good rapport with university faculty and staff, students and the general public.
- Ability to work independently of supervision.
- Ability to work effectively with students, university faculty and staff and the general public.
- Ability to work with and maintain confidential information.
- Ability to communicate effectively in both oral and written form.
- Ability to learn office and university-specific software.
- Ability to take and transcribe dictation.
High school diploma or equivalent is required.
Required Experience and Training
Four years of related experience is required. Experience in general office practices and procedures is required. Experience in use of computer (word processing, database and spreadsheet applications) is required.
College credits relating to specific job duties is preferred.
Special Conditions for Eligibility
This is a security-sensitive position subject to criminal record check. This is an IT-sensitive position subject to the Computer and Network Security policy.
Min Pay Rate 28,213
Mid Pay Rate
Salary Information Commensurate with Experience, Salary Grade - 18
Specific Job Requirements/Duties for this Posting
Is Background Check Required? Yes
Benefit and Retirement Eligibility
This position is eligible for participation in the Teacher Retirement System of Texas (TRS) retirement plan, subject to the position being at least 20 hours per week and at least 135 days in length.
Stephen F. Austin State University, an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer and Educator, is committed to excellence through diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, creed, color, age, national origin, religion or physical or mental disability as required by law. If, because of an impairment or disability, you need accommodation during any part of the employment process, please contact Human Resources at 936-468-2304.
Posting Detail Information
Posting Number S2018-265
Candidates Eligible to Apply Open to all qualified applicants
Number of Positions Available 1
Posted Date 09/26/2018
Review Start Date 10/08/2018
Close Date 10/19/2018
Work Schedule 8am - 5pm
Open Until Filled Yes
Special Instructions to Applicants
Posting Quick Link http://careers.sfasu.edu/postings/3675
Contact Name John Calahan
Contact Phone (936) 468-1025
Contact Email firstname.lastname@example.org
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
What is the highest level of education attained?
High School Diploma
How many years of Administrative support experience do you have?
10 or more
Are you a current employee of the university?
How many years of experience do you have working in an office environment?
More than 10
Documents Needed To Apply
Letter of Recommendation
List of References
Letter of Recommendation 1
Letter of Recommendation 2