Stephen F. Austin State University Admissions Counselor/Recruiter in Nacogdoches, Texas
Bookmark this Posting | Print Preview | Apply for this Job
Please see Special Instructions for more details. Selected applicants will be contacted for interviews. Please download all forms with the application process.
Job Title Admissions Counselor/Recruiter
Full Time/Part Time Full Time
General Job Description
This is a professional position responsible for increasing SFA’s enrollment through coordinated, planned and data driven recruiting practices. Responsible for representing SFA at high school, community college, university programs and events across Texas, Louisiana and Arkansas for extended periods of time throughout the year; counseling families, prospective students and the general public on all aspects of the admissions process at SFA; assisting with the planning and implementation of university on-and off-campus programs; assisting with the marketing, and relationship-building activities through electronic correspondence and recruiting events; maintaining excellent public relations between prospective students and families, and the university; making decisions regarding admission to the university; determining and implementing recruiting strategies in order to achieve enrollment goals; and assisting in new student orientation and registration. Works under limited supervision, with considerable latitude for the use of initiative and independent judgment.
Essential Job Functions
- Represents the university at TACRAO and Non-TACRAO events hosted by high schools, community colleges, and other university programs.
- Uses historical enrollment data to make decisions regarding travel to target markets to represent the university at other schools and universities across Texas, Louisiana, and Arkansas. Makes decisions based on data regarding schools to target, events to conduct in order to build yield at specific schools, and approaches to increase enrollment by target area.
- Regularly counsels and advises prospective students, families, and the general public with university policies and procedures, the admissions process, pre-college planning, and general information such as Texas Success Initiative, financial aid, housing, registration, etc.
- Independently conducts a comprehensive admission file review process and uses additional standard information to make judgment calls to determine admission decisions for new students. This multi-dimensional approach includes review of official high school and/or community college transcripts, applications, and standardized test scores for individual students going through the review process. Reviews prospective students’ admission application files on a daily basis and involves over half of the applicants received by the Office of Admissions.
- Independently makes decisions on admission for new students through the file review process.
- Fosters public and personal relations between prospective students and families, and the university.
- Plans on- and off-campus recruiting events including meeting with directors and department chairs to develop plans for summer camp groups and other activities, coordinating event budgets, and directing staff members as needed for selected events.
- Participates in professional associations such as the Texas Association for College Admission Counseling and the Texas Association for College Registrars and Admissions Officers.
- Counsels and advises prospective and admitted students on matters involving career opportunities, academic majors, and courses.
- Assists in the production and distribution of in-office printed materials (brochures, pamphlets, newsletters, etc.) to represent the admissions department and university.
Non-Essential Job Functions
- Leads campus group tours for students and families.
- Assists with summer orientation and registration.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
The individual must possess the following knowledge, skills and abilities or, using some other form of skills and abilities, be able to explain and demonstrate that the individual can perform the essential functions of the job, with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Knowledge of, or ability to learn, university policies and procedures.
- Skill in public speaking and delivering presentations to individuals and groups.
- Ability to communicate effectively in both oral and written form.
- Ability to analyze complex information and exercise sound judgment in making decisions.
- Ability to set priorities and complete assignments on time.
- Ability to maintain effective interpersonal relationships.
- Ability to operate personal computer with general understanding of application software and an understanding of the Internet.
- Ability to learn office and university-specific software.
- Ability to obtain a Texas driver’s license and SFA permit prior to employment.
- Ability to work evenings, nights, and weekends as necessary.
- Ability to travel overnight and endure driving long hours.
- Ability to independently navigate through various cities across Texas, Louisiana, and Arkansas.
A bachelor’s degree is required.
Required Experience and Training
Two years of related experience in public relations and/or communications is preferred. Degree in public relations, communications or a related field is preferred.
Special Conditions for Eligibility
This is a security-sensitive position subject to criminal record check. This is a safety-sensitive position subject to drug and alcohol testing. This is an IT-sensitive position subject to the Computer and Network Security policy.
Min Pay Rate
Mid Pay Rate
Salary Information Salary Grade - 16
Specific Job Requirements/Duties for this Posting
Bilingual in Spanish preferred.
Is Background Check Required? Yes
Benefit and Retirement Eligibility
This position is eligible for participation in the Teacher Retirement System of Texas (TRS) retirement plan, subject to the position being at least 20 hours per week and at least 135 days in length.
Stephen F. Austin State University, an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer and Educator, is committed to excellence through diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, creed, color, age, national origin, religion or physical or mental disability as required by law. If, because of an impairment or disability, you need accommodation during any part of the employment process, please contact Human Resources at 936-468-2304.
Posting Detail Information
Posting Number S2018-293
Candidates Eligible to Apply Open to all qualified applicants
Number of Positions Available 2
Posted Date 12/24/2018
Review Start Date
Open Until Filled
Special Instructions to Applicants
Selected applicants will be contacted for interviews. Please download all forms with the application process.
Posting Quick Link http://careers.sfasu.edu/postings/3961
Contact Name Erma Brecht
Contact Phone (936) 468-2504
Contact Email firstname.lastname@example.org
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
Are you available to work weekends?
If you have not had higher ed experience, please explain your interest in working in this environment.
(Open Ended Question)
How many years of experience do you have related to this position?
Less than 1 year
1 - 2 years
3 - 5 years
6 - 9 years
Which of the following best represents your education background?
Attended school but did not receive High School Diploma or GED
Completed High School Diploma or GED
Completed Associate's Degree or two years of college
Completed Bachelor's Degree
Completed Master's Degree
Completed Doctoral Degree or ABD
Are you able to work holidays when the office is open?
How many years of experience, if any, do you have in using the Banner system?
4 or more years
Describe your previous experience presenting to small and large groups.
(Open Ended Question)
Do you have recruiting experience (higher education or corporate)?
Do you have a valid Texas Driver's License?
Are you willing and available to work intermittent evenings and/or weekends as needed?
Documents Needed To Apply
List of References