Stephen F. Austin State University Hall Director in Nacogdoches, Texas
Bookmark this Posting | Print Preview | Apply for this Job
Job Title Hall Director
Full Time/Part Time Full Time
General Job Description
This is a professional, live-in position responsible for supporting the mission and philosophy of the Residence Life Department and Stephen F. Austin State University by establishing and maintaining a community environment within residence halls and promoting and enhancing students’ social, educational, and personal development. Works under limited supervision, with moderate latitude for the use of initiative and independent judgment. Reports to the area coordinator.
Essential Job Functions
- Manages the operations, programs, and services for assigned facilities.
- Facilitates student leadership and development through program development.
- Advises hall council and other student organizations.
- Assists, advises, and counsels students with academic and personal matters through an open line of communication and providing referrals from the university and community.
- Maintains and completes administrative tasks such as hall files, hall records, work order requests, key requests, damage reports, room inventories, fire alarm reports, incident reports, housing cards, hall occupancy reports, etc.
- Works closely with departmental maintenance and custodial staff to ensure a well-maintained environment.
- Recruits, trains, and supervises hall staff.
- Plans and participates in active staff development of student workers.
- Prepares paperwork and conducts student judicial hearings.
- Adjudicates and counsels students on residence hall policy violations.
- Monitors and maintains security procedures for the residence halls.
- On-call 24 hours per day in residence hall in order to be available to students.
Non-Essential Job Functions
- Receives payments from students and others for departmentally sponsored activities.
- Responds and communicates effectively and immediately to emergency and/or life threatening situations.
- Serves as liaison between hall staff and other university departments.
- Participates in residence hall, hall director, residence life, and university committees.
- Participates in recruiting, hiring, and training professional and paraprofessional staff members.
- Performs administrative and clerical duties as needed.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
The individual must possess the following knowledge, skills, and abilities or be able to explain and demonstrate that the individual can perform the essential functions of the job, with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Knowledge of, or the ability to learn, department and university policies and procedures.
- Knowledge of student development theory, techniques, and research associated with ensuring the success of diverse student populations.
- Skill in the use of standard office equipment and software.
- Ability to communicate effectively in both oral and written form.
- Ability to exercise sound judgment in making decisions.
- Ability to diffuse and respond effectively to situations involving intense pressures and/or unpredictable persons.
- Ability to react quickly and calmly in emergency situations.
- Ability to provide support for student development with a demonstrable concern for students.
- Ability to engage students and to create and enhance their connection to the institution and each other.
- Ability to establish and maintain a good rapport with university faculty and staff, students, and the general public.
- Ability to train and supervise others.
- Ability to live and work on campus in order to respond to the needs of the department 24 hours per day.
- Ability to observe and detect unusual occurrences and policy violations.
- Physical ability to detect smoke and other odors indicative of hall violations and hazardous situations.
- Physical ability to climb stairs in order to reach the top floor of a residence hall in an emergency situation without assistance.
Physical ability to detect smoke and other odors indicative of hall violations and hazardous situations. Physical ability to climb stairs in order to reach the top floor of a residence hall in an emergency situation without assistance.
Bachelor’s degree is required.
Required Experience and Training
Two years of related experience is required. Experience living and working in a residence hall or similar group living environment is required.
Residence hall staff experience is preferred.
Special Conditions for Eligibility
This is a security-sensitive position subject to criminal record check. This is an IT-sensitive position subject to the Computer and Network Security policy.
Min Pay Rate $28,000
Mid Pay Rate
Salary Information Salary Grade - 12
Specific Job Requirements/Duties for this Posting
This position includes room and board.
Is Background Check Required? Yes
Benefit and Retirement Eligibility
This position is eligible for participation in the Teacher Retirement System of Texas (TRS) retirement plan, subject to the position being at least 20 hours per week and at least 135 days in length.
Stephen F. Austin State University, an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer and Educator, is committed to excellence through diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, creed, color, age, national origin, religion or physical or mental disability as required by law. If, because of an impairment or disability, you need accommodation during any part of the employment process, please contact Human Resources at 936-468-2304.
Posting Detail Information
Posting Number S2019-441
Candidates Eligible to Apply Open to all qualified applicants
Number of Positions Available 1
Posted Date 08/08/2019
Review Start Date
Work Schedule Monday-Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. with occasional weekends and late nights
Open Until Filled Yes
Special Instructions to Applicants
Posting Quick Link http://careers.sfasu.edu/postings/4993
Contact Name Residence Life Department
Contact Phone (936) 468-1127
Contact Email email@example.com
Contact Information Applicants will be contacted by the hiring department if selected for an interview If you have technical questions about this job posting, please contact HR at (936) 468-2304.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
* Which of the following best represents the number of years experience you possess relating to the job to which you are applying?
Less than two years
Two to three years
Four to five years
Six to seven years
Eight to nine years
Ten or more years
* Which of the following best represents your education background?
Attended school but did not receive High School Diploma or GED
Completed High School Diploma or GED
Completed Associate's Degree or two years of college
Completed Bachelor's Degree
Completed Master's Degree
Completed Doctoral Degree
* Do you have supervisory experience?
* Do you have residence hall staff experience?
* Do you have experience living and working in a resident hall or similar group environment?
* Have you ever participated in training hall staff?
* Have you recruited hall staff?
* Have you advised student organizations before?
* If yes, please list the organizations and your role.
(Open Ended Question)
Documents Needed To Apply
List of References