USAA Executive, Bank Head of Credit in San Antonio, Texas
Purpose of Job
The Executive, Bank Head of Credit will effectively manage the Credit Risk Strategy for USAA Federal Savings Bank (FSB). The Head of Credit collaborates with the Bank General Managers and the Senior Risk Officer to propose a credit risk strategy consistent with the Bank Board of Directors risk appetite, and regulatory and Second Line guidance and parameters. The Head of Credit will promote a credit risk culture of informed, measurable, disciplined risking taking for USAA and USAA members. The Head of Credit is also accountable for setting appropriate account management strategies. This role leads a team providing ongoing analysis and reporting on Bank new credit business and portfolio performance.
- Accountable for ensuring credit strategies are within established, Board approved thresholds and limits, and aligned with regulatory and internal oversight guidance. Ensures the integration of approved risk appetite metrics into the credit strategies, standards, and portfolio management functions of the Bank. Monitors portfolio performance for compliance with Risk Appetite measures.
- Manage the first line Credit Risk Management team that is responsible for the development and execution of credit risk strategies for all Bank lending functions, including credit associated with deposit products.
- Develop a department of risk professionals who have strong credit and other risk management expertise and experience to address lending practices, emerging risks, changes in the economy (through the cycle), and opportunities to prudently growth the business. In addition, train and develop employees for future advancement opportunities within Risk Management, FSB, and USAA.
- Support the Bank lending general managers and collaborate with the Product Management/Experience Owners, Bank Senior Risk Office, Corporate Finance and Marketing to develop pricing and product strategies.
- Partner with the Bank Senior Risk Office to ensure the appropriate credit policies are in place for all lending and deposit products and credit risk related activities.
- Develop, propose, and execute origination and account management strategies and risk assessments to effectively deliver economically sound, competitive lending products and member experience
- Develop collection and remedial management strategies in accordance with oversight and investor guidelines.
- Advise Senior Management on strategic direction for the Bank in areas including product offerings, product pricing, product features and overall marketing strategies.
- Ensures the appropriate policies, procedures, and controls are in place related to all credit related activities.
- Liaises with Compliance on legal & regulatory considerations that impact Bank product offerings in accordance with federal and state regulations.
- Accountable for impact of industry developments, changes in regulatory requirements and leading-edge techniques for credit risk analysis. Keeps Senior Management and the Corporate Finance apprised of changes and developments.
- Bachelor's Degree in relevant discipline required.
- 10 or more years of financial services industry experience.
- 8 or more years of Consumer Credit Risk experience in a significant leadership role in a large bank environment with proven ability to engage with Executive Management to include 5 or more years of Credit Card credit risk management industry experience.
- Experience collaborating with key resources and stakeholders, influencing decisions and managing work to achieve strategic goals required.
- Senior executive-level business acumen in the areas of business operations, industry practices and emerging trends required.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills with the ability to communicate analytical information to a non-technical audience.
- Demonstrated critical thinking and analytical skills with the ability to effectively multi-task and manage competing priorities and direct workflow.
- Advanced degree
- 5+ years of mortgage credit risk management industry experience.